Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2013 7:40am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training Advice for a Broken Leg

Bullies

Bit of training advice needed here. I did an obstacle run over the weekend (Nuts challenge) and managed in the course of it to fracture my foot. I'm currently in plaster up to just below my knee.

I suspect I'm to be in plaster for the next 6 weeks.

Up to now I've been doing an hour plus of cardio per day (mainly running and some cycling) plus weights, TRX etc 5 times per week.

I don't want to stop training just because I've knackered my leg but realise that running/cardio is probably going to be limited.

I'm going to be working from home for the next week or so and have a set of dumb bells to use. Hopefully back in the gym in a couple of weeks.

I've devised a routine largely for waist up (e.g. pressups, crunchies, barbell curls etc) as per below

Routine 1 Reps
    Concentration curl 10
    Floor chest press 12
    Bicycle crunches 40
    Shoulder press 14
    Jacknifes 20
    Side raises 20
    Dorsal raises 20
    Hip raises 12
    Pressups 20
    Dips 20

I do 6-10 sets of each routine. The idea is a combination of cardio from doing the sets quickly with little rest and strength. (I do vary the exercises - this is just an example of what I did today)

What I wanted to know are two things:
    1) Anyone been in a similar situation before? How did it impact training and how did they manage to train/get around it?
    2) Any ideas of other exercise I could do?

Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2013 12:03pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a very debilitating lower back injury and couldn't train lower body at all for a few months.

What I did to still get stronger was mainly upper body gymnastics work.

Similar to what you have going except lower reps 5-8.

L-sits, Frog Stands, Back and Front Lever progressions, chinups, dips, one-hand pushup progressions, etc. are not only good for strength but also a lot of fun.

When an exercise gets too easy for 8 reps or 15 seconds I pick a harder progression and so on.

Be careful when getting off the dip stand and pullup bar, land softly.

And of course if something hurts the area of injury stop doing that **** immediately.

I'd say forget about cardio until your foot heals.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 2:00am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I've had a very debilitating lower back injury and couldn't train lower body at all for a few months.

What I did to still get stronger was mainly upper body gymnastics work.

Similar to what you have going except lower reps 5-8.

L-sits, Frog Stands, Back and Front Lever progressions, chinups, dips, one-hand pushup progressions, etc. are not only good for strength but also a lot of fun.

When an exercise gets too easy for 8 reps or 15 seconds I pick a harder progression and so on.

Be careful when getting off the dip stand and pullup bar, land softly.

And of course if something hurts the area of injury stop doing that **** immediately.

I'd say forget about cardio until your foot heals.
    Thanks - I'm doing slightly larger number of reps as I only have some fairly light weights. I'm hoping from next week to be back to the gym so I can a wider range of exercise.

Good advice on dips/pullups, they were going to be a core part of my new regime.