Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 8:58am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Considering you are on this particular forum, I imagine there a many things you would like to do in WEKAF sparring. ;o)

Having said that, are you guys obligated to do WEKAF, or can you do your own thing and set up sparring, tournaments, etc they way you want?
    Oh we do pretty much everything available, which in the UK translates to:
    WEKAF/GSBA (we fight in GSBA because :politics:)
    Padded stick
    Low-armour (WEKAF helmet and gloves, WEKAF stick)

As individuals we're free to do whatever we like, one of my buddies recently competed in a San Shou event and I'm hoping to make the Euro Dog Brothers gathering before I hit 30.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2014 11:24pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Oh we do pretty much everything available, which in the UK translates to:
    WEKAF/GSBA (we fight in GSBA because :politics:)
    Padded stick
    Low-armour (WEKAF helmet and gloves, WEKAF stick)

As individuals we're free to do whatever we like, one of my buddies recently competed in a San Shou event and I'm hoping to make the Euro Dog Brothers gathering before I hit 30.
    Glad to hear you get to do some things on your own with a bit more practicality. I dig Doce Pares as a system, but really hate seeing the crap that passes for sparring in virtually every WEKAF vid I have come across.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/13/2014 12:29am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dig Doce Pares as a system, but really hate seeing the crap that passes for sparring in virtually every WEKAF vid I have come across.
    Eskrido isn't everyone's cup of tea, and there's obviously a high level of holding back when sparring eskrido on account of the lack of gear, but I really like the type of sparring they're doing in this vid @ 1:46.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXsNQ7bICNQ

Again, this is not hard sparring, but it is not choreographed either. You also kind of have to understand the basics of the art (the hows and whys of abanikos etc). Both people are allowed to move as they wish, and disarms and throws come into play organically instead of by the numbers. Its more akin to push hands than to hard contact largo sparring, which is part of what attracted me to it. My teacher is very technical and fast, he strikes at a million angles and when you try to defend you end up in a godawful wristlock or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2014 7:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Eskrido isn't everyone's cup of tea, and there's obviously a high level of holding back when sparring eskrido on account of the lack of gear, but I really like the type of sparring they're doing in this vid @ 1:46.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXsNQ7bICNQ

Again, this is not hard sparring, but it is not choreographed either. You also kind of have to understand the basics of the art (the hows and whys of abanikos etc). Both people are allowed to move as they wish, and disarms and throws come into play organically instead of by the numbers. Its more akin to push hands than to hard contact largo sparring, which is part of what attracted me to it. My teacher is very technical and fast, he strikes at a million angles and when you try to defend you end up in a godawful wristlock or something.
    No, I agree. There is a time and place for the sort of thing that is shown in that video. It doesn't have to be full on live sparring all the time, and in FMA, that really isn't possible anyway.

I take it you do Cacoy Doce Pares then?

Fuzzy, are you doing Cacoy as well, or Multi-Style?

Cheers,

Posted On:
    6/13/2014 9:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it you do Cacoy Doce Pares then?
    Cacoy Doce Pares and Villabrille Largusa kali.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2014 10:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cacoy Doce Pares and Villabrille Largusa kali.
    Nice. The only exposure I have had to Villabrille-Largusa Kali is through videos, and seminars with Guro Dan Inosanto who pulls out a decent amount stuff from that system when he teaches. Looks like great stuff from what I have seen.

Cheers,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2014 11:55am

Style: Tabimina Balintawak

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, this is not hard sparring, but it is not choreographed either. You also kind of have to understand the basics of the art (the hows and whys of abanikos etc). Both people are allowed to move as they wish, and disarms and throws come into play organically instead of by the numbers.
    That might not be choreographed, but its not random either. Both individuals are clearly performing patterned motions in the latter "sparring" portion of the video. They have a flow that probably mimics parts of drills done in training and while its a free-flow, there are patterns present throughout. And its one reason why the demonstrator in this vid can pull off those locks and throws so nicely.

Still...better than a lot of the FMA out there and it serves a purpose in your training...Thanks for sharing the video.
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 6/13/2014 12:17pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2014 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried to pull off kicks before, as we have no rules saying that we can't, but I'm not light enough on my feet. Plus, ever since knee surgery, I've been way too cautious with kicks. But I could definitely see where they are useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    6/14/2014 10:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I've tried to pull off kicks before, as we have no rules saying that we can't, but I'm not light enough on my feet. Plus, ever since knee surgery, I've been way too cautious with kicks. But I could definitely see where they are useful.

I've had decent luck with kicks, here's a nice one @ 1:33
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnY6...YRpb6AGGReH3PQ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2014 10:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post

I've pulled off low cut kicks a time or two when stick sparring, but it was in very specific situations such as when I managed to get my opponent's flank. I'm a big guy and my feet move slowly, so I use them pretty sparingly when I am doing long weapons. I've seen openings for a front kick to the knee or hip area as well as plenty of chances for stomps to try to break or at least sprain the ankle, but for the obvious reason of not wishing to hurt my training partners, I have never gone for them in a live sparring situation.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast