222446 Bullies, 4505 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 50
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Fuzzy is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    978

    Posted On:
    6/12/2014 8:58am


     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Considering you are on this particular forum, I imagine there a many things you would like to do in WEKAF sparring. ;o)

    Having said that, are you guys obligated to do WEKAF, or can you do your own thing and set up sparring, tournaments, etc they way you want?
    Oh we do pretty much everything available, which in the UK translates to:
    WEKAF/GSBA (we fight in GSBA because :politics:)
    Padded stick
    Low-armour (WEKAF helmet and gloves, WEKAF stick)

    As individuals we're free to do whatever we like, one of my buddies recently competed in a San Shou event and I'm hoping to make the Euro Dog Brothers gathering before I hit 30.
  2. jwinch2 is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    395

    Posted On:
    6/12/2014 11:24pm


     Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Oh we do pretty much everything available, which in the UK translates to:
    WEKAF/GSBA (we fight in GSBA because :politics:)
    Padded stick
    Low-armour (WEKAF helmet and gloves, WEKAF stick)

    As individuals we're free to do whatever we like, one of my buddies recently competed in a San Shou event and I'm hoping to make the Euro Dog Brothers gathering before I hit 30.
    Glad to hear you get to do some things on your own with a bit more practicality. I dig Doce Pares as a system, but really hate seeing the crap that passes for sparring in virtually every WEKAF vid I have come across.
  3. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,487

    Posted On:
    6/13/2014 12:29am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    I dig Doce Pares as a system, but really hate seeing the crap that passes for sparring in virtually every WEKAF vid I have come across.
    Eskrido isn't everyone's cup of tea, and there's obviously a high level of holding back when sparring eskrido on account of the lack of gear, but I really like the type of sparring they're doing in this vid @ 1:46.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXsNQ7bICNQ

    Again, this is not hard sparring, but it is not choreographed either. You also kind of have to understand the basics of the art (the hows and whys of abanikos etc). Both people are allowed to move as they wish, and disarms and throws come into play organically instead of by the numbers. Its more akin to push hands than to hard contact largo sparring, which is part of what attracted me to it. My teacher is very technical and fast, he strikes at a million angles and when you try to defend you end up in a godawful wristlock or something.
  4. jwinch2 is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    395

    Posted On:
    6/13/2014 7:43am


     Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Eskrido isn't everyone's cup of tea, and there's obviously a high level of holding back when sparring eskrido on account of the lack of gear, but I really like the type of sparring they're doing in this vid @ 1:46.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXsNQ7bICNQ

    Again, this is not hard sparring, but it is not choreographed either. You also kind of have to understand the basics of the art (the hows and whys of abanikos etc). Both people are allowed to move as they wish, and disarms and throws come into play organically instead of by the numbers. Its more akin to push hands than to hard contact largo sparring, which is part of what attracted me to it. My teacher is very technical and fast, he strikes at a million angles and when you try to defend you end up in a godawful wristlock or something.
    No, I agree. There is a time and place for the sort of thing that is shown in that video. It doesn't have to be full on live sparring all the time, and in FMA, that really isn't possible anyway.

    I take it you do Cacoy Doce Pares then?

    Fuzzy, are you doing Cacoy as well, or Multi-Style?

    Cheers,
  5. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,487

    Posted On:
    6/13/2014 9:52am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    I take it you do Cacoy Doce Pares then?
    Cacoy Doce Pares and Villabrille Largusa kali.
  6. jwinch2 is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    395

    Posted On:
    6/13/2014 10:58am


     Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Cacoy Doce Pares and Villabrille Largusa kali.
    Nice. The only exposure I have had to Villabrille-Largusa Kali is through videos, and seminars with Guro Dan Inosanto who pulls out a decent amount stuff from that system when he teaches. Looks like great stuff from what I have seen.

    Cheers,
  7. PlumDragon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    44

    Posted On:
    6/13/2014 11:55am


     Style: Tabimina Balintawak

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Again, this is not hard sparring, but it is not choreographed either. You also kind of have to understand the basics of the art (the hows and whys of abanikos etc). Both people are allowed to move as they wish, and disarms and throws come into play organically instead of by the numbers.
    That might not be choreographed, but its not random either. Both individuals are clearly performing patterned motions in the latter "sparring" portion of the video. They have a flow that probably mimics parts of drills done in training and while its a free-flow, there are patterns present throughout. And its one reason why the demonstrator in this vid can pull off those locks and throws so nicely.

    Still...better than a lot of the FMA out there and it serves a purpose in your training...Thanks for sharing the video.
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 6/13/2014 12:17pm at .
  8. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,006

    Posted On:
    6/14/2014 8:58am

    supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried to pull off kicks before, as we have no rules saying that we can't, but I'm not light enough on my feet. Plus, ever since knee surgery, I've been way too cautious with kicks. But I could definitely see where they are useful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  9. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,487

    Posted On:
    6/14/2014 10:02am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I've tried to pull off kicks before, as we have no rules saying that we can't, but I'm not light enough on my feet. Plus, ever since knee surgery, I've been way too cautious with kicks. But I could definitely see where they are useful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had decent luck with kicks, here's a nice one @ 1:33
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnY6...YRpb6AGGReH3PQ
  10. jwinch2 is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    395

    Posted On:
    6/14/2014 10:04am


     Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I've tried to pull off kicks before, as we have no rules saying that we can't, but I'm not light enough on my feet. Plus, ever since knee surgery, I've been way too cautious with kicks. But I could definitely see where they are useful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've pulled off low cut kicks a time or two when stick sparring, but it was in very specific situations such as when I managed to get my opponent's flank. I'm a big guy and my feet move slowly, so I use them pretty sparingly when I am doing long weapons. I've seen openings for a front kick to the knee or hip area as well as plenty of chances for stomps to try to break or at least sprain the ankle, but for the obvious reason of not wishing to hurt my training partners, I have never gone for them in a live sparring situation.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.