Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/01/2013 7:14pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Was this set patterns or freestyle stuff?
    Set framework (he's holding his sticks in one of these typical positions), set footwork (you will progress through these three particular methods of footwork), freestyle response. I liked it, because it gave you an excellent framework to study the material he was teaching rather than just a grab-bag of techniques.

Posted On:
    9/02/2013 8:31am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those guys are brain-damaged. Maybe figuratively now but literally soon. Stopped watching after the one dude was trying to hammer at the base of the skull with the stick end. Only bad things can come of that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2014 11:09pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Those guys are brain-damaged. Maybe figuratively now but literally soon. Stopped watching after the one dude was trying to hammer at the base of the skull with the stick end. Only bad things can come of that.
    Agreed. I've done live stick sparring that was full contact, but I wore hockey gloves and a fencing helmet. I won't do it without. My training is supposed to keep me out of the hospital or the morgue, not put me in. I'm all for training hard and keeping it real, but there is a point where things become stupidity, the manner in which Sayoc does their live sparring with no protection at all, has gone way past it.

Posted On:
    3/02/2014 8:44pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    I stumbled across this no pads apparently full contact match on FB a while back so this video is probably old news to many FMAers but I haven't seen it here yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FChD...has_verified=1

Here's another full contact ring match.

I'm curious what the FMA crowd thinks of these videos and equally what the non FMAers think. Personally, I have to hand it to the guys in both vids. Perhaps we can talk about the techniques and strategies used in both fights.

Edit: Not sure if the first video will work, I know youtube wanted an age confirmation to view it,hooe eveyone can check it out. Bullshido geeks please help if you can!
    in the first video, there was a lot of stuff I didn't like

- getting your eyes put out doesn't improve your skill
    -I thought everyone but Tom Kier in the more extended video basically sucked.
    -No real closing footwork or evasion used, people just butted heads with kickboxing stance.
    -Homeboy doesn't understand how to do a belly-down armbar, and gave up a fully locked triangle choke to throw potentially brain-damaging punyo strikes to the base of the skull. Ass

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw that first vid a few years ago, and when I tried that low forehand to the ankle with the roll (first move in the vid) in sparring, I messed up my shoulder.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apologies if this has been posted already but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything more full contact than this:

Guy with the stache is a bad mofo

Guy w/o stache needs to learn a triangle

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 8:50pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goshinbudoJJ View Post
    Apologies if this has been posted already but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything more full contact than this:

Guy with the stache is a bad mofo

Guy w/o stache needs to learn a triangle
    That was the video we were just discussing

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2014 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apologies

I am a dumbass. Only saw the vid in the ring :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2014 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: Kali Ilustrisimo / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm definitely no expert yet in FMA but that second video is booty. Besides the aforementioned abaniko-heavy exchanges (not intrinsically bad I guess), I can't seem to find any evasive FMA footwork which kind of goes back to the stick/blade rhetoric.

I also don't have kicks in the system I study so maybe someone else can comment on that but i feel like if i tried any of my muay thai low kick at the speed these guys in the vid are doing them, I would get my shin cracked by their stick.

That makes me curious, do any of you FMA guys have kicks in your curriculum? If so what are the strategies to make sure you don't get your leg cut off?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2014 2:57pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAnimal View Post
    That makes me curious, do any of you FMA guys have kicks in your curriculum? If so what are the strategies to make sure you don't get your leg cut off?
    I have been taught kicks in Pekiti Tirsia and in Modern Arnis prior to that. I don't recall kicks being taught when I studied Lacoste-Inosanto Kali. As for not getting your leg cut off, great question. I am a relative beginner in PTK so don't take my answer as gospel here. What I have seen is that kicking is done very low (primarily to the knee) and has similar hip rotation to a low line Thai kick, but not as much total body rotation as is sometimes seen in MT. There is also stomping to the ankle and silat-style leg tie ups, sweeps, etc. From what I have seen, these things are used primarily in empty hand or perhaps with knife, but I have not yet seen them taught in a long weapon situation.

Perhaps others with more experience in the system than I have can comment and expand or even refute what I have related.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast