Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2014 4:00pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cross training?

How many FMA guys here either dabble or train seriously in other systems besides FMA? Personally, I do a bit of grappling on the side and have just started some Muay Thai as well. I only do both of those for couple of hours a week, and definitely consider PTK as my primary system.

I look forward to hearing what the rest of you may or may not be doing.

best regards,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2014 5:17pm

Style: Goju Ryu/Balintawak Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    How many FMA guys here either dabble or train seriously in other systems besides FMA? Personally, I do a bit of grappling on the side and have just started some Muay Thai as well. I only do both of those for couple of hours a week, and definitely consider PTK as my primary system.

I look forward to hearing what the rest of you may or may not be doing.

best regards,
    I train goju ryu and balintawak, but really I spend more time on the goju so I'm not sure if it's on the side

Posted On:
    6/15/2014 9:15pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes! Did two years of bjj, after a serious knee injury not related to bjj i had stop.now that I'm recovered I'd like to get back into it with the right group. As of late I've been training boxing and really like it. Not to mention I've trained with a myraid of other fmaers from different styles. Not to mention the styles i trained before FMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2014 10:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Yes! Did two years of bjj, after a serious knee injury not related to bjj i had stop.now that I'm recovered I'd like to get back into it with the right group. As of late I've been training boxing and really like it. Not to mention I've trained with a myraid of other fmaers from different styles. Not to mention the styles i trained before FMA.
    Nice. Am I remembering correctly that you are a Balintawak guy? I would think that boxing would blend beautifully with that particular system.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2014 8:25am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do Yaw-Yan and a bit of MMA along with my FMA (Yaw-yan is kind-of an FMA I guess?)

In the past I've done Goju Ryu,Aikido, JKD and some hybrid JKD/Judo thing.

I'd love to cross-train in Judo, but money and time prohibit.

Posted On:
    6/16/2014 11:37am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Nice. Am I remembering correctly that you are a Balintawak guy? I would think that boxing would blend beautifully with that particular system.
    Yeah, Balintawak has really been a help. The head and body movement are already hard wired from my Balintawak training. Not to mention I'm a south paw so my boxing stance is similar my fma stance, it at least I'm right aside forward in both. Of course i find myself constantly wanting to switch stance in boxing due to my fma, or at least i did when i first started, getting more comfortable with it now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2014 2:13pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I do Yaw-Yan and a bit of MMA along with my FMA (Yaw-yan is kind-of an FMA I guess?)

In the past I've done Goju Ryu,Aikido, JKD and some hybrid JKD/Judo thing.

I'd love to cross-train in Judo, but money and time prohibit.
    A lot of judo places cost less than $30 a month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2014 2:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Yeah, Balintawak has really been a help. The head and body movement are already hard wired from my Balintawak training. Not to mention I'm a south paw so my boxing stance is similar my fma stance, it at least I'm right aside forward in both. Of course i find myself constantly wanting to switch stance in boxing due to my fma, or at least i did when i first started, getting more comfortable with it now.
    Makes sense. It is important to me when deciding whether or not to cross-train, to select from whatever is available locally with the idea that it will compliment with my FMA training rather than conflict with it. The only art I really care about advancement in at this time is PTK, the rest is there as extra, in my view anyway.

Cheers,
    Last edited by jwinch2; 6/16/2014 3:02pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2014 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    A lot of judo places cost less than $30 a month.
    Very good point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2014 3:09pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About 8 years (fairly part-time the last few) SAMBO.
    A bit of boxing
    About a year of Thai boxing

Boxing of any sort is a natural with FMA. If you don't train it much in your system, just honing things a bit at a boxing gym is a great idea.

Standing grappling just makes too much sense. Since training in SAMBO/Judo, a bunch of the close range stuff I've seen or learned in FMA has went out the window. There simply isn't much reason to screw around with a lot of trapping, counter trapping, intricate standing locks, when I can very simply toss someone on their head.

Honestly, a lot of the FMA "grappling/anti-grappling" I see now makes me cringe. Great for demos, but highly inefficient/low percentage. A lot of FMA instructors really seem to think they know something about grappling, but would be sorely exposed against even an intermediate level grappler.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast