Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good BJJ gyms in Dallas?

Hi, Bullshido members!

I'm a 23-year-old woman, and I've had BJJ recommended to me as a martial art. I'm excited to start, though I had a bit of a bad experience with martial arts when I was younger; I tried going to a Krav Maga gym, but I was out of shape and the instructor told me I wasn't good enough for the gym, which was disheartening.

I live in Dallas, and I'm having some difficulty finding a good BJJ gym within my price range. The one I thought looked the best, Octagon MMA (octagonmma.com) charges nearly three hundred dollars for the first month, and a hundred and eighty for every month after that. Is this a normal price for BJJ classes? Do you have any recommendations for gyms?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dallas Prime or outskirts? As for the price. That's actually pretty good, especially if they provide a gi. $80 per month is nothing.

Style
    Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Dallas Prime or outskirts? As for the price. That's actually pretty good, especially if they provide a gi. $80 per month is nothing.
    I think she said $180 every month after.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    I think she said $180 every month after.
    I seriously need to get new reading glasses.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Dallas Prime, near LBJ and Central.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Carlos Machado's gym is pretty darn close to that intersection.

http://www.carlosmachado.net/

$180 a month is really pricey in my opinion. I don't know how expensive Master Machado's gym is. It might also be expensive as he is one of BJJ's original Brazilian exports to this country.

For reference, $100-125/month is fairly typical for a legitimate gym in Texas. Good luck.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey fellow Dallasite. Try Paragon Dallas, Marcelo Garcia of Dallas, Gracie Plano, North Dallas MMA (I'm currently a brown belt under JD, but am moving for work reasons), Cobra BJJ, BTT Plano, and Guy Metzger's Combat something or other.

You're kinda located in a dead zone between gyms.

Good luck with your search, I'm currently looking at Octagon myself. I know several people who trained there and I've trained there with Octavio. Like you said it's expensive.