Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Paying Mantis

Style
    Kung Fu, Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paying Mantis

Hello,

I've been reading these forums for several months and it's changed how and what I train!

I was doing kung fu after a long (15 year) martial art haitus. This kung fu was beautiful for rehabbing some back trouble I had, but terrible at fighting. When I asked sifu politely and privately about the "lack of opportunity to challenge myself" he lectured me about internal power. But after badgering one of his top guys into some contact sparring, it was pretty clear to me that "internal power" was merely the power he held over his paying student's minds. Which is why it should rightfully be called Paying Mantis Style. (Or, for short, as another Bullshidoka abbreviated it, PMS, since it's pay by the month).

From now on, if I'm putting money down, and it had better work against me at the very least. Which honestly is not setting the bar that high.

Now I'm training judo and thinking about what else I have time and energy for. And trust me, it's never again gonna be more Bullshido.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. This is both an internal and external welcome.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome!

Congrats on ditching your old school. Judo is an awesome martial art, with plenty of alive training - you're gonna love it :)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Where and with whom did you train Praying Mantis?

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is your rehabbed back holding up to Judo?

Also welcome Judo is very awesome.

Style
    aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome.

I think traditional kung fu can be beautiful, but I have very little patience for those who sermonize about "internal power". All power is internal, and all power manifests itself externally. The only people I know who talk about "internal power" are trying to explain away a lack of real, measurable power.

Style
    Kung Fu, Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really love kung fu and find it beautiful, especially the forms, I just wish teachers would be honest about what was about self-expression, tradition, and looking really badass and what was actually useful and proven for not getting extremely asshurt by a novice boxer 3 weight classes below you. I had an instructor showing me a self-defense move that involved poking an assailant on the side of the neck with a single finger.

I did PMS at this place for 6 months and they limbered me right up and developed core strength and leg strength. I find KF better than yoga for rehab, and though that's a gross generalization from personal anecdote, I do believe motivation is a pretty serious factor in sticking to a rehab program, and kung fu is a lot easier to adhere to than a lot of other things I've tried, because, ya, a little LARP goes a long way.

I don't know how my body will respond to judo but I'm keeping an open mind about it. since I've added cardio and bodyweight strength training to my regiment, so I'm optimistic. The guys at the judo club are REALLY cool and many of them are significantly older than I. If I get hurt occasionally, no big deal. It's a small price to pay for training that could make a vast difference in a variety of unlikely but very real situations if I apply myself consistently and correctly.

Lastly. I'm not going to "out" my old school to the public (and to google). I took my concerns to the sifood personally, he heard me out, and we parted amicably, with me taking my business elsewhere. While what's going on there is a little retarded, sifood wasn't breaking any laws, and he was straight-up about his lineage and his qualifications, which is all there is in the wild world of kung fu.
    Last edited by recoveringcma; 6/01/2013 7:53pm at . Reason: Amateur boxer

Style
    Taiji/Hsingyi
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveringcma View Post
    While what's going on there is a little retarded, sifood wasn't breaking any laws, and he was straight-up about his lineage and his qualifications, which is all there is in the wild world of kung fu.
    So did he say he would teach you to fight when you signed up?
    If he is straight up what would you be 'outing'?
    And no 'lineage and qualifications' are not all there is in the 'wild world of kung fu'. You are being ignorant.

Good luck with the Judo and welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveringcma View Post
    Lastly. I'm not going to "out" my old school to the public (and to google).
    It is commendable that you shared your situation and didn't let this forum be your platform for disgruntled ex-student syndrome (I just made that up).

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last