Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 1:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Nicolaes Petter biography/training manual (with a foreword by Bas Rutten!)

Back in the pre-Internet Dark Ages, I was astounded to come across a first edition copy of Nicolaes Petter's 1674 wrestling/self defense manual in the National Library of New Zealand (long story). A number of years later I was privileged to teach some of his street fighting techniques at a WMA event in Amsterdam.

I'm looking forward to reading this new book by Dutch author Jerome Blanes (with a foreword by Bas Rutten!), which combines a biography of Petter himself with reproductions of plates from his book and a training system that allows the full reconstruction of his very unusual method of self defense.

See http://www.nicolaespetter.blogspot.com/ for more on this interesting project.

The same author also advertising a forthcoming book on "Bekkesneyders", which is apparently an "underground" culture of knife dueling in Holland: http://bekkesnijders.blogspot.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2013 12:34pm

Style: Boxing, JKDish something

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neat! I look forward to getting a copy, I always thought Petter's method looked interesting. I would really like to see more books like this giving modern breakdowns of historical systems.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2013 5:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a lot of books that do that - is there a particular subject you're interested in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2013 2:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of my interest these days is in classical pugilism and the savate. I have always wanted to see a book that does a comparison of different eras of pugilism, one done with a mind toward tracing developments. I imagine that would quickly become a rather large undertaking. I also have a healthy interest in English folk grappling styles.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2013 2:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd recommend that you take a look at Kirk Lawson's Banned from Boxing: the Forgotten Grappling Techniques of Classic Pugilism, which is a comprehensive study of the development of throwing and counter-throwing techniques from late 18th century bare-knuckle through to early "modern" gloved styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2013 7:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the first edition, really fascinating book, really makes studying pugilistic grappling methods easier. I have not got around to picking up the second edition yet. Is there much in the way of new content, or is it more along the lines of a reorganization?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2013 9:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's some additional material, but it's been long enough since I read the first edition that I can't recall how much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 11:24am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    I have the first edition, really fascinating book, really makes studying pugilistic grappling methods easier. I have not got around to picking up the second edition yet. Is there much in the way of new content, or is it more along the lines of a reorganization?
    There is some new material, including some well documented "Pressure Point" material in the "Pull the Hair, Poke the Eye, Oh My!" chapter. Some new material added on many of the other throws/grapples, a little bit of clarification on some stuff, and some more exposition, both personal and historic, on the throws.

I hate to say it, but if I were in your place, I wouldn't think the new material is worth the cost for a new copy.

Maybe give away the first edition to a friend or donate it to your club and buy the second. But if they're both going to stay in your library, in your place, I probably wouldn't do it. But then again, I'm kinda "frugal." ;)

I know that by writing this, I may be shooting myself in the foot on extra sales, but I want to be honest.

To summarize, the Second Edition expands well upon the first and does add new material, but it's not a revolutionary and radical re-write.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 11:28am

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    I have always wanted to see a book that does a comparison of different eras of pugilism, one done with a mind toward tracing developments.
    The closest I've ever seen to that is a short article on the development of boxing stances by Ken Pfrenger. I've been given permission to republish it on my club's web site: http://cbd.atspace.com/articles.html

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2013 3:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    There is some new material, including some well documented "Pressure Point" material in the "Pull the Hair, Poke the Eye, Oh My!" chapter. Some new material added on many of the other throws/grapples, a little bit of clarification on some stuff, and some more exposition, both personal and historic, on the throws.

I hate to say it, but if I were in your place, I wouldn't think the new material is worth the cost for a new copy.

Maybe give away the first edition to a friend or donate it to your club and buy the second. But if they're both going to stay in your library, in your place, I probably wouldn't do it. But then again, I'm kinda "frugal." ;)

I know that by writing this, I may be shooting myself in the foot on extra sales, but I want to be honest.

To summarize, the Second Edition expands well upon the first and does add new material, but it's not a revolutionary and radical re-write.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    Thanks for the heads up on what all is included in the second edition. To my mind that is more than enough to justify picking it up, I have really enjoyed the first edition and the one thing I am not frugal on is good books.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast