Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 3:15pm

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Isn't karate a lot more dangerous than judo becouse you do strikes. Judo is just a sport"

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I hear the same argument all the time - including here on Bullshido. In fact, I've heard it from one of the most respected martial artists on this site. And I say it's complete and unadulterated fucking horse ****.

I don't buy it and I don't give a **** if Jesus comes to my house to educate me on the error of my ways. I will tell him the same thing. Bullshit.

I'm still waiting for somebody to show me the "Good Krav". Nobody can because it doesn't fucking exist. They'll post a video or two of teh r34L Krav. Guess what? More bullshit. Every time I see something good it's training that has been altered to the point that it looks like, you guessed it......something else other than Krav McGraw.

It amazes me that people can fall for this unproven, dead uke, I'm too deadly for my shirt bullshit. **** everyone who trains Ku Klux Krav in the fucking ass. And their goddamn nut jugglers. **** the bitchass Israeli military too.

End of rant.
    LOL, nice rant, Devil! Seriously, I really don't care about Krav Maga one way or another. The guy I was discussing it with was not a blow hard-braggart, and his superivsor was bit more enamored of the idea than he was, which I found hilarious.

Like I said, judo is just an Olympic sport, I haven't been in a fight since high school, so I wouldn't know the "real" Krav if it kicked me in the balls and then poked me in the eye(s). People want easy solutions to difficult problems (me too!), and all sorts of RBSD and deadly traditional martial arts are there to cater to their fantasies, including pepper spray and firearm ownership/carry.

Ku Klux Krav is fucking hilarious BTW !

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    "Could you kick me in the head?"
    Just bow to me first...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 3:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    LOL, nice rant, Devil! Seriously, I really don't care about Krav Maga one way or another. The guy I was discussing it with was not a blow hard-braggart, and his superivsor was bit more enamored of the idea than he was, which I found hilarious.

Like I said, judo is just an Olympic sport, I haven't been in a fight since high school, so I wouldn't know the "real" Krav if it kicked me in the balls and then poked me in the eye(s). People want easy solutions to difficult problems (me too!), and all sorts of RBSD and deadly traditional martial arts are there to cater to their fantasies, including pepper spray and firearm ownership/carry.

Ku Klux Krav is fucking hilarious BTW !

Just bow to me first...
    I wasn't going after you. I just used your mention of Krab to catapult my fighter jet of hate off the carrier.

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 3:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    They don't even say "please"?

People are so rude nowadays...

In any case, since you know you'll get shitloads of repetitive stupidity in response, why bother to tell anyone you're a martial artist?
    I rarely ever do. It was an issue when I applied for my current job. I had to tread a fine line between, "yes, I have a black belt in Judo", which might come in handy, and the seeming assumption that I was some sort of hand to hand combat expert.

Really, the idea that hand to hand fighting, or in my case, trying to control/take down a person to be be detained/cuffed is some sort of magical simple thing to do even with good training seems pervasive to me, even among well educated people. The cops I know do not ever want to have to go "hands on" with another person, because someone (them) is likely to get hurt/injured, with attendant accusations of police brutality and injury to the officer/deputy.

What's my point..there is one there somewhere dammit...oh yeah, fighting is hard. Even with (good) training and experience, it's hard, dangerous, and not fun (I don't mean combat sports, I mean fighting for real, against a pissed off person who wants to hurt you).

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 3:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I wasn't going after you. I just used your mention of Krab to catapult my fighter jet of hate off the carrier.

I know you weren't, and like I would care anyway, right? The guy I was talking to is a bad ass not because of his Krav training, whatever that amounted to.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In any case, since you know you'll get shitloads of repetitive stupidity in response, why bother to tell anyone you're a martial artist?
    I try to avoid it, but when a coworker asks what I'm doing that night/this weekend, or why I have bruises on my arms, it seems a little less strange to tell them than being really vague.

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 4:44pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I've heard all of those, very good!

The first one is usually a drunk guy in a bar. My best friend in grad school did that one to me one night out drinking in front of several other of our mutual friends. He grabbed me and I put him in some silly one armed arm lock, stood him on his toes, and slowly finished a full bottle of beer while he stood there for a few minutes.

After that, none of those guys made any cutesy remarks.

Best one though was we were at the same guy's very wealthy grandfather's chalet in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Huge winter storm had blown in, tons of snow, and it was 20 below, literally, outside in a blizzard. We were all around the cozy fireplace drinking various coffee-alcohol mixtures in our jammies, boys and girls all just having fun. One big mutual friend who wrestled in high school decided that Judo sucked and wrestling was the best...out of the blue. I guess it had been bugging him for a while.

So he challenges me to a wrestling match. I'm like, OK, outside in the snow, though, in underwear. Seriously, we step outside through the sliding glass door into the snow, which was knee deep, with everyone elsess faces pressed up against the glass watching. He grabs me with a arm and shoulder tie, I toss him with O Goshi into a snow bank and go back inside. I didn't even have to dry off.

My own Dad pulled the old "I guess I better not mess with you now" thing, kinda sickening.

Among some women (and possibly men) there seems to be some sort of myth about a black belt imbuing the bearer/wearer with some sort of mystical sexual powers. I've had that comment from a few women.

Of course it's true in my case, but that's because I'm a judoka.

Yet another reason to do Judo.
    I started training BJJ will I have the same powers eventually?

If someone asks me what I do in my free time I will be hard pressed, a funny thing happened to me once: I was in the barber getting my hair cut and doing some small talk when the "what sports do you practice?" turns out my barber is 2nd Degree Shotokan black belt, he even showed me old pictures of the 80's when he practiced until he left it because it became too watered down.

Now every time I go for a haircut I learn something about the old karate

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They don't even say "please"?

People are so rude nowadays...

I don't tell anyone, because I can't imagine what kind of response I would ever be happy to get. At best, people say something stupid, and at worst, people think I'm bragging or challenging them. When away from my school, I avoid wearing anything with a martial artsy logo on it -- no yingyangs, dragons, tapout shirts, ninja turtles, etc. Clothes with Chinese or Japanese writing are particularly ridiculous because nobody knows what the hell it means anyway, and it just invites the stupid remarks. I wonder -- do Japanese or Chinese people wear T shirts with English writing that nobody understands?

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 4:52pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Invariably, it's some kind of hockey stick joke...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 5:44pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    I wonder -- do Japanese or Chinese people wear T shirts with English writing that nobody understands?
    Yes and tattoos.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast