Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 9:03am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    "Oh cool, I do <insert mythical Eastern MA here>. It's really vicious, every strike is a kill strike! Like I can collapse people's windpipes with one punch...."
    Obviously I can do all that stuff but I don't talk about it here.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to study Shiatsu, if I mentioned Taiji there i'd get

" Ah i thought so! Can really feel your energy "

" Yeah you seem reeeally 'centred' "

If I'd specifically mention Taiji at the pub or a gig I got:

" Oh thats really good for you isn't it...i've got this problem with my shoulder can it heal it? "

Or from the guy that thinks he's informed:
    " That's actually really deadly isn't it when your really high level..I've got this mate and his teacher can.."

Tend not to mention MA to anyone until I know them and them me, but yeah mates who tell people I train piss me off...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My boss knows that I train and that my colleague does some form of kickboxing, so he's always trying to organise some sort of office death match.

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 9:43am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Or from the guy that thinks he's informed:
    " That's actually really deadly isn't it when your really high level..I've got this mate and his teacher can.."
    Ugh! That's what I refer to as True Tales of Modern Combat, where everyone has to tell you awesome their friend is, or some such. I used to just smile and nod. Now I just give them the look that says I recognize that's a complete stream of bullshit spewing from your mouth, and move away from them.

Two anecdotes, both involving people who heard I do a little tai chi:

"Tai chi? Yeah, I hear when you get really good, you can make time slow down!"

"Yeah, my buddy is really good with tai chi. This one time me and him were sparring with chains, and he wrapped it around my ankle and dislocated it!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 9:48am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Can you move things with your mind?"

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 10:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    "What would you do if I did *THIS*!?!?!"

"Do you have a blackbelt?"

"Oh, I guess I shouldn't mess with you! Haha *nudge nudge, pause for laughter*

"Oh, you do karate?" *KARATE HANDS IMITATION*
    I've heard all of those, very good!

The first one is usually a drunk guy in a bar. My best friend in grad school did that one to me one night out drinking in front of several other of our mutual friends. He grabbed me and I put him in some silly one armed arm lock, stood him on his toes, and slowly finished a full bottle of beer while he stood there for a few minutes.

After that, none of those guys made any cutesy remarks.

Best one though was we were at the same guy's very wealthy grandfather's chalet in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Huge winter storm had blown in, tons of snow, and it was 20 below, literally, outside in a blizzard. We were all around the cozy fireplace drinking various coffee-alcohol mixtures in our jammies, boys and girls all just having fun. One big mutual friend who wrestled in high school decided that Judo sucked and wrestling was the best...out of the blue. I guess it had been bugging him for a while.

So he challenges me to a wrestling match. I'm like, OK, outside in the snow, though, in underwear. Seriously, we step outside through the sliding glass door into the snow, which was knee deep, with everyone elsess faces pressed up against the glass watching. He grabs me with a arm and shoulder tie, I toss him with O Goshi into a snow bank and go back inside. I didn't even have to dry off.

My own Dad pulled the old "I guess I better not mess with you now" thing, kinda sickening.

Among some women (and possibly men) there seems to be some sort of myth about a black belt imbuing the bearer/wearer with some sort of mystical sexual powers. I've had that comment from a few women.

Of course it's true in my case, but that's because I'm a judoka.

Yet another reason to do Judo.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 12:02pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When martial arts comes up in conversation somebody is going to say some bullshit about Krav Maga and The Israeli military. Fucking always.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 12:10pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Among some women (and possibly men) there seems to be some sort of myth about a black belt imbuing the bearer/wearer with some sort of mystical sexual powers. I've had that comment from a few women.
    Wait, so the black belt makes women think I'm a sex god? Why has no one told me this before? I would have worked a lot harder to make sure I got in all my rank tests.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 12:12pm

Style: eclectic kung fu some BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Them: "You don't *look* like you could kick my ass..."

Me: "Sucks to be me, I guess."

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 12:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    When martial arts comes up in conversation somebody is going to say some bullshit about Krav Maga and The Israeli military. Fucking always.
    One of my former colleagues is a LEO/ex navy guy. He supposedly has had extensive traiing in Krav Maga. When I first heard that I was kind of taken aback. However, regardless, he is not a man to trifle with. I did talk to him about the varying levels and reputation of Krav Maga, and he acknowledged it has problems, and the quality depends on where and with whom one trains. We left it at that.

And our mutual supervisor at the time did not try to arrange any death matches. Besides, who wants to watch a Jack Russell fight a grizzly bear?
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast