Our Sponsors:

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 1:54pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Usually condescending looks and laughs. That or the oh so original "My style is street fighting" often with a smug look of self satisfaction on their face... Which, all the best to them I guess. Sounds cool enough but from what I've seen when walking home on a Saturday night from the town after a nice drink is that "Teh str33t fighting" consists of people pissed out of their tree throwing wild fists at one another till one manages to connect or trying to tackle with their head down and arms wailing.

So I'll take my martial arts, with the whole thing about leg movement, evasion and generally being able to punch straight and go about my merry way cause I'm obviously not tough enough for your training regime of 20 sigs a day and 15 pints of stella..

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 3:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya I have heard alot of these...but the worst is always when one of my close friends asks me how my most recent tournament went...out in public or in a large group of people...then comes allllll the questions and assumtions everyone makes!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 5:33pm

Style: Hapkido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard this one a couple times at work, where everyone already knows I'm a nice guy:

"Oh man, I wouldn't want to bump into you in a dark alley."

What?

I understand that they are just pulling some phrase out of their ass to try to sound clever, but the implications behind that statement are kind of dark. Apparently they are saying that the only things stopping me from punching them in the face during the course of a normal work day are 1) daylight and 2) witnesses.

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 6:00pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Awesome View Post
    Apparently they are saying that the only things stopping me from punching them in the face during the course of a normal work day are 1) daylight and 2) witnesses.
    And you are denying this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 5:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost never bring up that I've trained BJJ anymore, because I know better. That said, a coworker was mentioning that he'd been out drinking at a bar with some people recently, when one of them said he'd trained submissions and bet the rest that he could choke any of them out in a few seconds. None of them believed the guy, so they let him try a rear naked on a few of them. They all went out easily.

Against my better judgement I told him that I'd trained in BJJ and knew how to do that as well, and then got to hear "So you could kick like anyone's ass, right?", to which I responded "No," and then he suggested that we should totally start a fight club. I was like "No thanks," and then he said I should fight with Karate Bob, some guy who teaches a family self-defense course at the rec center once a week. As a side note, this isn't the first time I've heard of Karate Bob, who is always referred to as Karate Bob.

I get that I live in a small town where MMA might not have made an impact. I do find it hard to understand how someone who claims to watch every UFC and episode of Ultimate Fighter doesn't believe in rear naked chokes or have any clue what Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is, though.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 8:44am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Oh wow!! Could you kick Steven Seagall's ass? Remind me never to piss you off."

To which I replied, "Only if I don't grab his wrist." The quizzical looks that follow are precious!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 2:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    "Remind me never to piss you off."
    I get this one quite a bit (despite virtually never discussing MA).

My usual response is a mild-toned "Now why would I want to do that?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 4:03pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    I call BS.
    What's the point? We both knew what was up, so the topic of convo quickly shifted.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 5:46am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    What's the point? We both knew what was up, so the topic of convo quickly shifted.
    What was up?
    You mean you think that training in a grappling art makes you a fighting expert?
    Or do you mean you think he knew you were about to go on a tirade about how awesome your bjj was and how it eclipses all other arts because of its alive training methodology?
    Again.....I call BS on your post.

"eye no jewjizoo sucka"

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 5:54am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    I almost never bring up that I've trained BJJ anymore, because I know better. That said, a coworker was mentioning that he'd been out drinking at a bar with some people recently, when one of them said he'd trained submissions and bet the rest that he could choke any of them out in a few seconds. None of them believed the guy, so they let him try a rear naked on a few of them. They all went out easily.

Against my better judgement I told him that I'd trained in BJJ and knew how to do that as well, and then got to hear "So you could kick like anyone's ass, right?", to which I responded "No," and then he suggested that we should totally start a fight club. I was like "No thanks," and then he said I should fight with Karate Bob, some guy who teaches a family self-defense course at the rec center once a week. As a side note, this isn't the first time I've heard of Karate Bob, who is always referred to as Karate Bob.

I get that I live in a small town where MMA might not have made an impact. I do find it hard to understand how someone who claims to watch every UFC and episode of Ultimate Fighter doesn't believe in rear naked chokes or have any clue what Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is, though.
    So basically, you couldn't stand this guy being the center of attention so you whored yourself out as an expert. Nice. +5 to your self esteem.
    Then you automatically dismiss "Karate Bobs" skill ( a person whom I doubt even exists outside of your own mind) because he doesn't train in the r34l grapplarzing? Do YOU watch UFC? You would see that stand up striking has a larger useful factor than a RNC.

One could use a slightly modified version of your own criticism on you " I do find it hard to understand how someone who claims to watch every UFC and episode of Ultimate Fighter doesn't believe in stand up or have any clue what striking is, though. "
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16 LastLast