Page 15 of 16 First ... 5111213141516 Last
  1. #141

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    276
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Usually condescending looks and laughs. That or the oh so original "My style is street fighting" often with a smug look of self satisfaction on their face... Which, all the best to them I guess. Sounds cool enough but from what I've seen when walking home on a Saturday night from the town after a nice drink is that "Teh str33t fighting" consists of people pissed out of their tree throwing wild fists at one another till one manages to connect or trying to tackle with their head down and arms wailing.

    So I'll take my martial arts, with the whole thing about leg movement, evasion and generally being able to punch straight and go about my merry way cause I'm obviously not tough enough for your training regime of 20 sigs a day and 15 pints of stella..

  2. #142

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Currently NAS Lemoore CA
    Posts
    2
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya I have heard alot of these...but the worst is always when one of my close friends asks me how my most recent tournament went...out in public or in a large group of people...then comes allllll the questions and assumtions everyone makes!

  3. #143

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, Texas, United States
    Posts
    103
    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard this one a couple times at work, where everyone already knows I'm a nice guy:

    "Oh man, I wouldn't want to bump into you in a dark alley."

    What?

    I understand that they are just pulling some phrase out of their ass to try to sound clever, but the implications behind that statement are kind of dark. Apparently they are saying that the only things stopping me from punching them in the face during the course of a normal work day are 1) daylight and 2) witnesses.

  4. #144
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,517
    11
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Awesome View Post
    Apparently they are saying that the only things stopping me from punching them in the face during the course of a normal work day are 1) daylight and 2) witnesses.
    And you are denying this?

  5. #145

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nome, AK
    Posts
    177
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost never bring up that I've trained BJJ anymore, because I know better. That said, a coworker was mentioning that he'd been out drinking at a bar with some people recently, when one of them said he'd trained submissions and bet the rest that he could choke any of them out in a few seconds. None of them believed the guy, so they let him try a rear naked on a few of them. They all went out easily.

    Against my better judgement I told him that I'd trained in BJJ and knew how to do that as well, and then got to hear "So you could kick like anyone's ass, right?", to which I responded "No," and then he suggested that we should totally start a fight club. I was like "No thanks," and then he said I should fight with Karate Bob, some guy who teaches a family self-defense course at the rec center once a week. As a side note, this isn't the first time I've heard of Karate Bob, who is always referred to as Karate Bob.

    I get that I live in a small town where MMA might not have made an impact. I do find it hard to understand how someone who claims to watch every UFC and episode of Ultimate Fighter doesn't believe in rear naked chokes or have any clue what Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is, though.

  6. #146
    I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!
    DarkPhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wyomissing, PA
    Posts
    2,244
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Oh wow!! Could you kick Steven Seagall's ass? Remind me never to piss you off."

    To which I replied, "Only if I don't grab his wrist." The quizzical looks that follow are precious!
    I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

  7. #147

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    "Remind me never to piss you off."
    I get this one quite a bit (despite virtually never discussing MA).

    My usual response is a mild-toned "Now why would I want to do that?"

  8. #148
    AKRhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    555
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    I call BS.
    What's the point? We both knew what was up, so the topic of convo quickly shifted.

  9. #149
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,432
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    What's the point? We both knew what was up, so the topic of convo quickly shifted.
    What was up?
    You mean you think that training in a grappling art makes you a fighting expert?
    Or do you mean you think he knew you were about to go on a tirade about how awesome your bjj was and how it eclipses all other arts because of its alive training methodology?
    Again.....I call BS on your post.

    "eye no jewjizoo sucka"

  10. #150
    HonkyTonkMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Black Belt City, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,432
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    I almost never bring up that I've trained BJJ anymore, because I know better. That said, a coworker was mentioning that he'd been out drinking at a bar with some people recently, when one of them said he'd trained submissions and bet the rest that he could choke any of them out in a few seconds. None of them believed the guy, so they let him try a rear naked on a few of them. They all went out easily.

    Against my better judgement I told him that I'd trained in BJJ and knew how to do that as well, and then got to hear "So you could kick like anyone's ass, right?", to which I responded "No," and then he suggested that we should totally start a fight club. I was like "No thanks," and then he said I should fight with Karate Bob, some guy who teaches a family self-defense course at the rec center once a week. As a side note, this isn't the first time I've heard of Karate Bob, who is always referred to as Karate Bob.

    I get that I live in a small town where MMA might not have made an impact. I do find it hard to understand how someone who claims to watch every UFC and episode of Ultimate Fighter doesn't believe in rear naked chokes or have any clue what Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is, though.
    So basically, you couldn't stand this guy being the center of attention so you whored yourself out as an expert. Nice. +5 to your self esteem.
    Then you automatically dismiss "Karate Bobs" skill ( a person whom I doubt even exists outside of your own mind) because he doesn't train in the r34l grapplarzing? Do YOU watch UFC? You would see that stand up striking has a larger useful factor than a RNC.

    One could use a slightly modified version of your own criticism on you " I do find it hard to understand how someone who claims to watch every UFC and episode of Ultimate Fighter doesn't believe in stand up or have any clue what striking is, though. "

Page 15 of 16 First ... 5111213141516 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO