Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2013 9:12pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    1. I don't tell people I practice MA unless they are talking as though they know something about it.
    2. Whenever I start to assert my knowledge about it, it gets uncomfortable, because inevitably, anyone who wants to talk about it does not want to acknowledge the fact that I am certain to know vastly more than them, so usually then it boils down to their badass brother who competes in MT.
    3. It's the same dynamic when going to a new dojo. Most people don't really give a **** what you know or what you have done, unless they know what the **** they are doing. And since most people don't know what the **** they are doing, it's a one-sided conversation where I listen and they pontificate. I would just like to, on that note, say a healthy "**** you" to all the people who have lectured me on ANY MA at a dojo without bothering to ask me what I know and don't know.
    I feel you on all that. One guy in particular I know likes to go up to me, talk to me about different martial arts, ask me some questions, then as I'm answering, interrupt and assert his own opinions/limited knowledge on the subject. Bro, I've been doing this for 8 years, spar full contact, have attended workshops and seminars on other styles; I'm not an expert, but you're not even a beginner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 4:38am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot this one, my new boss last year.

"Oh you do Tai Chi? I did a 6 week course while I was in California. I didn't finish the whole course, but I think I've got a pretty thorough understanding of what its all about."

Course you have Phil, you dick.

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 1:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So...I was sent to a club that was not my usual last weekend. It was having a Caribbean weekend party.

Soon as I got to my post, an amply-buttocked lady of Grenadian origin decided that I'd make a (suitably-in)decent twerking post.

She ran her considerable presence up and down my upstanding demeanor a number of times (to perfect drunken time to the music) and asked, "What now, soljah"?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 1:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Along the lines of listening to someone rattle off BS about martial arts, I just remembered an amusing incident from several years ago. Of course it happened in a pub.

By way of background, I used to live in Pocatello,Idaho, where I did Judo for 3 years at ISU Judo Club, training, instructing, and competing. There was a small judo (claimed anyway)/ju jitsu (claimed to be BJJ) downtown.

Myself and a few friends were having a beer or three out back of Hooligan's (aptly name) on the deck. Anyway, there are a couple of young men out back as well,and a few young ladies. One guy starts going on about how he is doing ju jitsu. Nothing too obnoxious. Someohow the topic of strangulation comes up as he speaks with a young woman.

He proceeds to explain how deadly chokes are, and how hard it is to get out of them. He then demonstrates a standing front cross choke of some sort, something like Gyaku Jujime (both palms up for you BJJ guys), on her. So I'm considering asking him to demonstrate on me, and I can tell my companion, and highly decorated and wounded Iragi war vet is thinking along the same lines. However, as I had only had a couple of pints, and I knew that I'd get deep sixed for the ruckus that would surely ensue, I didn't say a word.

Anyway, the guy showed he had absolutely no knowledge of how to properly apply a cross choke of any sort by raising both his elbows like little birdy wings.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 3:10pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people aren't that impressed. In fact when I was doing Tae Kwon Do in Iowa, most people just laughed. If only my school had wrestling...

The closest thing I have gotten was (while wearing a Judo tournament souvenir hat) that a fellow student felt much safer knowing that I did Judo. I am a campus security guard part time. Our instructions if anyone gets confrontational are pretty much "hide and call the cops". But hey, whatever makes people feel safer.

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 3:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my students is a former amateur boxer and a gym manager. He did a sports course of some description and the group had to introduce themselves and a skill-set (sports orientated). One bloke went on about how he taught (Trad) JJ. My student said: "Oh, I do ju jitsu". Apparently the bloke was taken aback and then proceeded to backtrack. I think it eventually ended up that he'd once a couple of classes and had once taken the register....
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 9/03/2013 3:28pm at . Reason: typo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 5:50pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Most people aren't that impressed. In fact when I was doing Tae Kwon Do in Iowa, most people just laughed. If only my school had wrestling...

The closest thing I have gotten was (while wearing a Judo tournament souvenir hat) that a fellow student felt much safer knowing that I did Judo. I am a campus security guard part time. Our instructions if anyone gets confrontational are pretty much "hide and call the cops". But hey, whatever makes people feel safer.
    Suffice to say, I'd be fired from that job at the first sight of someone getting confrontational; especially if it's a (larger) man towards a (smaller) lady. I don't learn how to get punched in the face so I can work in a grocery store.

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 6:18pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    One of my students is a former amateur boxer and a gym manager. He did a sports course of some description and the group had to introduce themselves and a skill-set (sports orientated). One bloke went on about how he taught (Trad) JJ. My student said: "Oh, I do ju jitsu". Apparently the bloke was taken aback and then proceeded to backtrack. I think it eventually ended up that he'd once a couple of classes and had once taken the register....
    my first white belt test back in 1998 I threw this poor black belt teenage kid across the room with a Tomo Nage. They asked me where I learned that. Without skipping a beat, I said "Star Trek". They thought that was really funny. I was dead serious.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rarely disclose the fact that I've trained in martial arts to people I don't know at least reasonably well. If someone asks, I will talk about it, gauge their level of knowledge and interest and decide if they are worth having a serious discussion with.
    Over the years I've found that the one's who bring up the fact that they train in martial arts within the first hour of meeting them usually suck and are putting on a front.

I hate it when people ask me what sash I am or what belt I am.

I remember this one guy who used to hang out at the same bars we did years ago named Kurt. He was a pretty boy; long blonde hair, always wore cowboy boots..and always brought up the fact that he 'knew karate' within an hour or two of meeting new people. It was so predictable.
    He managed to stay out of confrontations with people for the most part, but one night somebody finally called his bluff - and he got his ass handed to him good by a bigger man. From what I remember, it didn't look like he knew much of anything except how to turtle and attempt to land elbows after being slammed up against a pinball machine and mercilessly pummeled; we had to pull the guy off him.
    Wasn't so pretty after that one. lol Kurt..last time I saw him he was working for a limousine company.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 6:47am

Style: Karate, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slightly off topic but this still makes me feel good...

A story of good martial arts conversations

When my parents moved house a few years ago one of their neighbours happened to mention to my mother that her husband was very ill and felt somewhat isolated. She said he was stuck in the house all day with no one to talk to about his days training boxing and judo in London whilst a police officer in the 60s.

My father (who boxed in his youth) called me up and we regularly visited this guy swapping training stories etc. He was really interested in BJJ and how it related to judo and I found his stories genuinely entertaining and fascinating. Sadly he died within a few months of us meeting however his wife has said how happy our visits had made him and how much he used to look forward to them. I still miss the old bugger...
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast