Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 11:36am

Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I'm happy to, Galope. Currently, I'm trying to research options, which is proving to be more difficult than I'd originally intended. It seems that a lot of small schools open and close rather quickly around my area, but the listings stay posted. Is kinda funny to Google street-view a potential school, only to find a literally vacant lot.

Here's the places I've been able to find so far, good and bad.

Elite Martial Arts
    2000 Ray Moss Con
    Johns Creek, GA 30022
    (770) 663-4114
    elitemartialartsstudio.com‎

This place honestly worried me a little. Has a lot of McDojo indicators. However, it's on my way home from work, so I might was well give due-diligence, check it out. I'll post more later.

Choe's Martial Arts Academy of Johns Creek
    Johns Creek, GA
    (770) 713-1706
    karatemartialartscumming.com‎

This one is also on my way home, but it worries me more than the last one. It's Hap Ki Do, and the site talks more about Chi than Technique. I might look at it if nothing else pans out.

Karate Atlanta
    5354 McGinnis Ferry Road
    Alpharetta, GA 30005
    (770) 569-5560
    karateatlanta.com‎

This is ATA. Prob not gonna try there.

The Dojo American Karate Centers‎
    3005 Old Alabama Road #60
    Johns Creek, GA 30022
    (678) 822-3656
    teamdojo.com‎

Ok, this franchise was actually founded by one of my former instructors from when I first took American Karate, So I have to look into it for no other reason than that. It's been relatively successful in the Atlanta area, and currently has six locations. It seems to have gotten mixed reviews, though they lean more positive.

Atlanta Choong-Sil Kwan Tae Kwon Do
    3131 Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd.
    Ste. A-3
    Suwanee, GA 30024
    http://atlantataekwondo.net/

Now, this one may have a location much closer to me, which would be a draw. It does have a few things that worry me, however. A big one is that the owner and chief instructor, John Salama, "has been training in the Choong-Sil Kwan Taekwondo Federation (CTF) since 1987 under Grand Master Robert Hardin." Now, this is ambiguous as to wether they mean that the "Choong-Sil Kwan Taekwondo Federation" is recognized by the CTF, or that they are calling the "Choong-Sil Kwan Taekwondo Federation" the CTF. I was under the impression that the CTF was the Chin Mu Kwan Taekwon-Do Federation, though I could be mistaken. Still, when two organizations share initials, it tends to make you think one may be trying to ride the coat-tails of the other.

Now, these are just the ones closest to me to be relevant and that I could reasonably confirm to be open. There could be more, but I'll have to look around a it better. If anyone has had experience with any of these schools, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks, guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 12:26pm

Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh, almost forgot

@CrackFox: The Oyama Karate site for Atlanta is down ( www.atlantaoyama.com) so I'm not sure if they are still open or not. Still looking through the Tracy Kempo Atlanta site. It's a little cluttered, but I don't want to email the poor guy asking for info he's already posted.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12