Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2013 9:38am

Style: none yet

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Neo-Newbie here. TKD vs American?

Alright, a little back-info here.

So, I'm turning 30, and want to not be an out-of-shape putz anymore. I'm jumping back on the cardio bandwagon, and I'd like to get back into Martial arts.

Now, I've tried a few martial arts over the years, but things have come up to where I end up quitting. Many times financial, sometimes, other, but it happens.

I've tried traditional Japanese Karate (Shorin-Ryu) and some Korean (Tang Soo Do), but the most fun I honestly had was when I was a teenager taking American Karate. Yes, I know it's not the most effective combat style by far, but I honestly enjoyed it, and that kept me going. I stuck with it for about a year until my studio closed, and then my parents couldn't afford anything else at the time (I was like 14).

I want something fun, and something that implements a lot of sparring. I'm fine with learning a "combat-sport" over an actual fighting style, and I know that both American and Tae Kwon Do tend to be more of a sport than anything else. They are also both fun, active, and competitive.

I'd like some recommendations on American Karate vs Tae Kwon Do, namely reasons why you think one would be better than the other. And yes, I read the FAQ about ATA before I posted this. Much kudos on the guy being as blunt and honest as he was.

Also, I live in Duluth, GA, so bonus points for anyone who has a specific instructor or studio/dojo to direct me towards.

I'm an empty cup, guys, Fill me up or smash me to bits, your call.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2013 11:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, guys, I know you probably aren't the biggest fan of these posts, but I'd really appreciate help here. I'm not looking to have sugar-coated happiness fed to me, just honest advice. If I'm in the wrong forum, tell me, and if you think I'm being a dummy, I'll take that too. I just want some honest words from a group that won't fluff things, and this is the best place for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2013 11:05am

Style: Kempo Karate, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to clarify what you are saying. You want a sport with realistic sparring that is competitive, but without it being to hard core, is that correct? Do you just want to American Karate/TKD? Are you open to other styles of karate?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2013 11:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm open to a lot of things, but price is an issue. American and TKD are usually the easiest on the wallet. I do prefer Korean-style kicks over Japanese, however. And I don't mind it being "hardcore", but I do want active sparring involved. Shorin-Ryu had no sparring, whatsoever, and it was somethign I missed.
    Last edited by Zraven7; 8/26/2013 11:08am at . Reason: forgot text

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2013 11:15am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your looking for American karate there is Tracy Kenpo in Atlanta. However if you looking for realistic sparring I would look at World Oyama Karate. Sparring in TKD varies so you might wan to check out some places on your own. Hope I helped out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2013 11:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You did help. Any information helps. I'll start looking into those schools now. Thank you much. :-)

And guys, any other opinions are very welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2013 12:23pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    World Oyama Karate seems like a good suggestion as it is the closest to the Karate you enjoyed before but with sparing.

Might be worth checking out Judo, boxing or wrestling if you want to try something really different to to what you have done before, I mention it more because in the U.K at least they tend to be at the cheap end

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/26/2013 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because you liked something when you were 14 doesn't mean you're going to like it now, 16 years later. I'd make a list of what's available and just go try a few of them out with an open mind.

I don't know about American Karate, but TKD is not usually the easiest on the wallet. Also, if you're looking at it from a price perspective, try and be clear about what you're getting. Eg BJJ can often seem expensive, but you usually get a lot of classes for your dues. Some karate places can seem reasonably priced, but have few classes or frequent, expensive belt tests.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2013 6:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @CrackFox: This is in the agenda. I plan on looking for a few places within my accepted travel range before I settle on one, and I'm going to be severely scrutinizing any sort of contract. I so appreciate the advice, though. It's good to see people helping to make sure someone doesn't get monetarily nailed. :-)

I like BJJ, but the schools down here are pricey, generally between 150 and 200 a month. Given, the ones I have looked at give you your money's worth, but I just don't have that kind of capital right now.

Also, likely not going to go somewhere charging for belt tests. Just always rubbed me the wrong way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 9:21am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep us posted. This could be a good reference for people in the ATL area looking for the same thing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast