Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 1:51pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    As you see two clearly distinct ideas
    That doesn't invalidate what I said, though. The fact that something saves the government money does not necessarily make it a good thing. "Prudence" is a vague and subjective concept. If the government is going to tell me what to eat, they're going to have to do better than "prudence".
    So you don't agree sugar is addictive,or that it alters the mind via endorphin release
    Are you really trying to medically equate sugar with illegal drugs?
    I did not advocated this idea
    You said the following about trying to discourage sugar consumption by putting punishingly high taxes on sugar: "[T]hese kinds of mesures don't prohibit any set of negative behaviors, only encorage positive behaviors."
    In that context, I understand those words to mean that (a) the consumption of sugar is a negative behavior, and (b) that penalizing those who buy sugar with increased taxes encourages positive behavior. If I'm reading that wrong, please explain what you meant.
    Consumption of refined sugar and corn syrup in large quantities can lead to several health consiquences
    Yes, so can lots of other things. Should we have the government put huge taxes on everything that might end badly for us?
    Yes, the less you consume the less you pay, that's the whole point.
    But why do the people who are already consuming sugar moderately and sensibly need to be punished with increased taxes?
    Would you accept a discount on your insurance for low refined sugar consumption? You are viewing a sugar tax as punishing high users, rather than rewarding low users
    It's not rewarding low users, because the low users' taxes are still going up. You are confusing less punishment with reward.

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 1:59pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    For me its free time. We only have so much time on this earth so the more of it I can spend on me and mine the better. I am happy that I only work a 30 hr week and my wife doesn't have to work at all so I get to spend a lot of time with my family. Of course free time without having one needs meet would suck. So I will throw that out their free time after the rent/mortgage has been paid, food is on the table and the ability to not fret over money too much.

I
    Really interesting post mate!

I take for granted you have read the "The Wealth of Nations"?

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Are you really trying to medically equate sugar with illegal drugs?
    Is not that crazy of a compression
    http://www.slashfood.com/2007/08/27/...-than-cocaine/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21082629
    Addictive and harmful. The difference is its cheap widely available and legal.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 2:13pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I tend to agree that keeping the government out of things is a good idea expect when their is an obvious need to govern.
    according to the CDC the
    Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 35.9% (2009-2010)
    Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.2% (2009-2010)
    These stats are rising and clearly show you something is going on and the ability for the average to take charge of this area of their life is difficult. It can be a combination of ridiculous addictive ingredients, constant psychological warfare(in the form of adverts) and an education system that glosses over science and other foundations that allow people to make informed decisions. Thus maybe its time for the government to take steps.
    On the other hand, the government's early efforts are not faring so well:
    http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/27/ke...es-like-vomit/
    http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/DA8EDQ3G0

My kids eat pretty damned healthy. No sodas, only occasional snacks or desserts, and right-sized portions of healthy meats and vegetables. I think this is the key to the obesity problem - it starts at home with good parenting. But, the government can't (yet) get into our homes and on our dinner tables, so they opted for the next best thing, which is to get kids at school. But, forcing kids to eat healthy lunches does nothing if they are chowing down on crap morning, night, and weekends.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 2:26pm

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I think this is the key to the obesity problem - it starts at home with good parenting.
    Spot on mate. If you don't lay a good foundation they won't have a solid base to build their own experiences onto.

But, forcing kids to eat healthy lunches does nothing if they are chowing down on crap morning, night, and weekends.
    Especially when you've got parents that, in protest at their kids being forced to eat healthy lunches at school, come and feed the spoiled little rugrats fast food through the fucking school fence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/5349392.stm

Some of them actually go and take orders from the kids and come back and deliver like a bizarre Mr Delivery service. What kind of hope have these kids got when their parents pander to them like this? The worst part is, they're not only taking orders from their own children, which completely undermines parents who are not spineless twerps and are trying to make sure their child doesn't drop dead at 45.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nners-run.html

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 2:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    Spot on mate. If you don't lay a good foundation they won't have a solid base to build their own experiences onto.

Especially when you've got parents that, in protest at their kids being forced to eat healthy lunches at school, come and feed the spoiled little rugrats fast food through the fucking school fence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/5349392.stm

Some of them actually go and take orders from the kids and come back and deliver like a bizarre Mr Delivery service. What kind of hope have these kids got when their parents pander to them like this? The worst part is, they're not only taking orders from their own children, which completely undermines parents who are not spineless twerps and are trying to make sure their child doesn't drop dead at 45.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nners-run.html
    I think the parents are right to protest, would be the only place where I disagree with you. History has shown over and over that forcing people to do things almost never has the desired result. If we're going to have the government in our dietary choices (more so than they already are, that is), my suggestion would be some form of subsidy - tax credit, something like that - to encourage making sound culinary decisions.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 2:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well first, they need to fix the school lunches. While what you are saying may hold merit n the UK, American lunch programs were/are ****. All the stuff you can't believe parents bring their spoiled kids, is served in American lunch. It started changing AFTER the so called Obesity epidemic. In other words, it started changing in the last 3-4 years.

Pizza?
    Hamburger?
    Hotdogs?
    Cookies?
    Chocolate Milk?
    Potato Chips?
    Fries?
    Sloppy Joes?

All on the menu, offset by the occasional green bean, apple, juice box or carrot mix on the tray.

Oh it starts with the parents, but it needs to be backed by the school system as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 2:45pm

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I think the parents are right to protest, would be the only place where I disagree with you. History has shown over and over that forcing people to do things almost never has the desired result. If we're going to have the government in our dietary choices (more so than they already are, that is), my suggestion would be some form of subsidy - tax credit, something like that - to encourage making sound culinary decisions.
    Fair enough, that's a good point. Where I do stand firm though is when they involve other kids. In the second link it tells of how kids were spending money their parents gave them for the school lunches, which have to conform to certain health guidelines, on fast food through this mother ordering service. I know if I gave my 11 year old money for a healthy lunch and someone else was taking it and buying them fast food and soda with it on a daily basis I would be very very angry.

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 2:46pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    A whole mess of depressing stuff
    WTF is wrong with people!? Is this a result of that generation of parents that want to be "friends" with their children instead of parents? Its stuff like this that makes me really lose hope for humanity. For **** sake your kids health should probably be rank #1 on any parents list of priorities.
    Is the problem that they don't understand the damage this **** does?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 2:50pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    What's your BMI Matt?
    Was all set to reply to you point-by-point until I read this. Now I'm not going to bother.
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast