Butterbean would be the striking coach

Ricardo Blas Jr the grappling coach
    218 kg and 3rd dan of INTERNATIONAL Judo

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 12:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

please note I have not verified the verasity of said meme but its apt anyways

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 12:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Um, yeah, kinda said that, already. It's post #2 on this thread. Do you really have that short of a memory?
    Just wanted to make sure. I donít tend to assume people lack basic moral.

Paying for health care is far cheaper than not paying. Desperate people with guns are quite dangerous. You should willingly pay for it even if you donít care about moral. (Oh and you profit from other people getting vaccinated if you donít live alone in the woods.)

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 1:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    Paying for health care is far cheaper than not paying.
    Not the argument anyone was trying to make. However I am pretty sure me not paying for them to have heart surgeries or there diabities meds and supplies is a lot cheaper than paying for it. That is if we are willing to go ahead and let them die. Which I am actually all for. Adults make descisions on how to live why should I pay to keep them alive? They make poor choices they should live or die with the consquences.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 1:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paying for health care is far cheaper than not paying.
    How so? Explain this so it is clear and not vague.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 3:44pm

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno hey, I don't think obesity is necessarily the cut and dried issue that it largely seems to be seen on here. There are a lot of circumstances that can lead people into obesity besides the go-to "OMG GUIZ IT'S GLANDULAR!!!".

Don't forget that what often starts as simple comfort eating during depression or following psychological trauma of some kind can lead into a spiral, as the degenerating health, appearance and additives in the food feed the depression, but addictive, endorphin releasing ingredients like various sugars, salts and fat provide (admittedly brief) on-the-spot relief. That spiral can be almost impossible to break as the junk food becomes a psychological crutch.

There's also massive reinforcement of the idea of food as relief from depression or stress in advertising, movies and TV. If you think back on how many times you see stressed out people on screen demanding a food or a calorie laden drink to feel better, or someone who's feeling sad crying into a tub of ice cream and squirting string cheese into their mouths directly from the tube, I'll bet it's pretty damn often. I'm quite sure this kind of thing is a huge factor contributing to the normalisation of over-indulgent behaviour where food is concerned.

The other huge thing, of course, is plain old pig ignorance. If I look around the UK, particularly at the lower and working classes, there are people who are third or fourth generation obese and come from massively obese families. Children are conditioned from an early age to over-indulge and make bad food choices and carry these with them into adulthood. For instance, it was recently revealed that the heaviest 10 year old in the country is 335lb (152kg).

I'll repeat that. The heaviest 10 year old in the UK is 335lb (152kg). Now that is not the child's fault. That is the parents' fault. Now this is at the extreme end of the spectrum, but what chance do kids with that kind of family have of making healthy decisions and living a healthy life after that?

It's much easier than you would believe to readjust your expectations and idea of what's normal and convince yourself you're ok, rather than taking the more painful route of facing up to the truth and doing something about it. Like goodlun said, exercise sucks ass when you're obese or out of shape, with so much convenience and technology dedicated to accommodate seriously obese people who can't even move around for themselves there's very little to motivate them to shed the pounds.

Also, let's face it, if you're fat and out of shape going to the gym with beautiful people and gym bunnies is fucking intimidating. So if you're a fit person and make fun of fat people going to the gym and actually trying to do something about their weight you are a ginormous asshole.

A martial arts themed weight-loss programme would be awesome, I loved wimp to warrior! HOWEVER, while it would make an awesome TV show I don't think it would be the cure you think it is Rurik, cause it's not addressing the root of the wider problem.

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 3:58pm

Style: Humbleness

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    A martial arts themed weight-loss programme would be awesome, I loved wimp to warrior! HOWEVER, while it would make an awesome TV show I don't think it would be the cure you think it is Rurik, cause it's not addressing the root of the wider problem.
    Very good analysis, Aye I realize it wont have much effect unless is followed up with proper diet and most important a desire for a healthier life.

But I believe it could be a good first step towards a better life for at least a few people

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 5:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Very good analysis, Aye I realize it wont have much effect unless is followed up with proper diet and most important a desire for a healthier life.

But I believe it could be a good first step towards a better life for at least a few people
    The problem isn't that people don't want a healthier lifestyle they are not educated on how to do it. Their is a lot of wrong information out their such as eating fat will make you fat. I have a simple way of loosing weight don't put anything in your mouth that has more sugar than fiber. But it takes a lot of will power as sugar addiction is rampant and people don't see rock bottom.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 5:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Not the argument anyone was trying to make. However I am pretty sure me not paying for them to have heart surgeries or there diabities meds and supplies is a lot cheaper than paying for it. That is if we are willing to go ahead and let them die. Which I am actually all for. Adults make descisions on how to live why should I pay to keep them alive? They make poor choices they should live or die with the consquences.
    I think Katje made some good points here.

Also if we decide to not pay for them, this also means hurting family and friends of obese people. Children with obese parents would have their lives ruined by paying for their parents medical treatment. Is it fair to make them choose between letting their parents die and living a horrible life in debt?

Plus early and good treatment can help to reduce the like-hood of more serious health problem later. Oh and they can possibly keep being or become a productive part of the workforce.

It is not about choice. I doubt the majority of the obese people was thinking "**** it i am going to get as fat as i can so that goodlum will have to pay for my medical bills".

Even if some serial killer just killed hundreds of people, when he gets into an car accident, he will get proper treatment at the hospital. Sure he might get punished later but the doctor will still do everything to safe his life.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    How so? Explain this so it is clear and not vague.
    Sometimes I am vague on purpose. It is interesting how people interpret it.

The benefit of having a public funded health care system is greater than the damage done by taking taxes to finance it. (Yes I could imagine some corner cases but most of the time. Also assuming that the taxes are reasonable and some other stuff).

Do you want to argue this?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/25/2013 5:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The benefit of having a public funded health care system is greater than the damage done by taking taxes to finance it. (Yes I could imagine some corner cases but most of the time. Also assuming that the taxes are reasonable and some other stuff).
    Hunh? Is that how it works in your country? Publicly funded in America would be through taxes.

Sometimes I am vague on purpose. It is interesting how people interpret it.
    Do you want to argue this?
    IF i choose to be a dick, like you, and agrue I'll make sure to dump this post in trollshido. Being vague on purpose means you want to troll. This is a discussion and people are being honest with their replies, while you are not.
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast