Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 6:12pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Red Hat Revenue $1.13 billion (2012) tell me more about this "free" software you speak of.
    So what is your point? Lots of devs provided value in their free time.

We get that you think its silly. Also I didn't say what you get paid I said your ability to generate money. A Dr Volunteering his time is doing something good for society. He isn't making money doing so. However that time has a value = the market rate for his service. That market rate is a good indication of how much good he is doing for society.
    How do you want to accurately measure how much value one adds in his free time? Helping someone. Making art. All that.

Now your just being stupid. Marketing obviously holds a huge value in society online ad spending alone topped 100 billion dollars. Guess what pays for the site your using right now in part Ads bought by people doing marketing. Guess what pays for the news and virtually everything else that is "free" yep marketing peoples.
    Well it has been quite some time since I have seen any adds on the internet. ;P

Yes some of the money for advertisement finds its way into doing good things, like sponsoring sports teams and the like but this is not a good point as if the money weren�t used for advertisement to begin with, it could have been used for something better, anyway.

Seriously are you going to say protecting Intellectual property is fishy at best? So an inventor of a product should have no protections? So basically you want only the biggest firms to succeed. This is what happens without patents guy in his basement comes up with a really novel product. He then takes it to the market place. Mega Corp sees the product and goes cool we can make that for less and steal the product. Mega Corp wins the basement guy looses now his sounds like it in itself would be good for society as Mega Corp can make it cheaper but the drive for innovation or more aptly the drive to take innovation to the market place is seriously diminished hurting society.
    Ok now this makes me really think I missed the sarcasm somewhere. Seriously? Some small inventor is going to successfully sue a globally operating mega corporation? Surely not in real life. Guess who can afford the overpriced lawyer.

The reason they where special is because the won the prizes. If they didn't do prize winning work they wouldn't be special at all.
    They still made outstanding contributions so yes they would be still famous.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I don't like this kind of thinking. Yes, it's technically true that my health affects others, but if you follow this reasoning to its natural conclusion you have a justification for putting government in charge of every decision I make about my own health.
    I would love it if the government managed my health. Seriously, I don�t want to bother with that ****. Tell me what to to eat, tell me when to exercise. Eating healthy and regularly and all that aint no easy. I want to occupy my mind with more important stuff. This sounds like Utopia for me. Humans are not good at making decisions so its good to only have to do the important and fun ones.

But on a more serious note, this is just taxation of an harmful substance. Wont change the face of government in any way.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 6:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    That the free programs you use aren't really free; basic economics.

Yes some of the money for advertisement finds its way into doing good things, like sponsoring sports teams and the like but this is not a good point as if the money weren�t used for advertisement to begin with, it could have been used for something better, anyway.
    Okay, I'm beginning to think you do not understand economics at all. Now, I am going back to you are trolling.

Ok now this makes me really think I missed the sarcasm somewhere. Seriously? Some small inventor is going to successfully sue a globally operating mega corporation? Surely not in real life. Guess who can afford the overpriced lawyer.
    Explain why you do this throughout the thread. Someone gives you a clear picture of their point and you make a key change to their argument.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How can you decide that marketing is so bad it shouldn't even exist, but sports teams are good?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 6:38pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Like I said

No coherent argument
    Reads post that says I'm not arguing with him anymore.
    Complains when next post isn't an argument.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 7:02pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    How can you decide that marketing is so bad it shouldn't even exist, but sports teams are good?
    In before joke/sarcasm post.

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 7:28pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most dev projects that haven't found a way of being monetized do not make it out into society thus not changing ****. The small projects done in someones free time may enrich the lives of the dev and maybe a really small niche community. Value to society as a whole almost nil.

How do you want to accurately measure how much value one adds in his free time? Helping someone. Making art. All that.
    Most people are not enriching society in their free time. They are enriching their own lives. Case in point doing art for your own sake doesn't enrich society it sits on your wall. Once you sell it or donate it, it enters the 64 Billion $ art industry. It will be given a value. Really this **** isn't that hard. What you do for yourself isn't **** to society until you monetize it someway. You work out on your own time great makes you better. You dig ditches for a living? Well maybe you will make a little more and increase your roll in society. You sit at an office desk all day you being buff hasn't helped out too much sure when your neighbor needs to move they might be happy.

Such as? No really tell me oh great one what the business landscape and society as a whole would look like without ads? Please tell me what the Radio, Internet, Newspapers, Magazines and TV would be like.

Really try looking up asymmetric litigation and patent trolls.

They still made outstanding contributions so yes they would be still famous.
    Cool without looking it up tell me what it is they contributed outside of their nobel prize work.

I would love it if the government managed my health. Seriously, I don�t want to bother with that ****. Tell me what to to eat, tell me when to exercise. Eating healthy and regularly and all that aint no easy. I want to occupy my mind with more important stuff. This sounds like Utopia for me. Humans are not good at making decisions so its good to only have to do the important and fun ones.
    Your an ass hole.
    But on a more serious note, this is just taxation of an harmful substance. Wont change the face of government in any way.[/QUOTE]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 7:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    That the free programs you use aren't really free; basic economics.
    TANSTAAFL? There ain't no such thing as a free lunch?

Do you want to go that way? Doesn�t even matter for my point. Someone developing software in his free time is still adding value that cant be measured by looking at his income.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Explain why you do this throughout the thread. Someone gives you a clear picture of their point and you make a key change to their argument.
    Key change? Is that some term I don�t know?

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Are you asking what authority I have to judge marketing? Well what are you expecting from someone to be able to judge marketing? Or is it just cheap rhetoric?

Oh and banning advertisement of food could help against obesity. Seeing advertisement on food possibly makes people more hungry and more likely to eat more.

I don�t know if the effect would be significant but it could be worth to perform a study (or maybe there are already) or experiment on it. (Just a random idea now that we talk about advertisement)

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 7:49pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TANSTAAFL? There ain't no such thing as a free lunch?
    Fail.

Do you want to go that way?
    You went that way when you changed his point, to fit the preselected argument you are using. I'm just following your trail.

Doesn�t even matter for my point.
    Sure it does, but as usual, you don't care to be educated.

Someone developing software in his free time is still adding value that cant be measured by looking at his income.
    I know, it addresses goodlun's point which started this mess. You just, as usual, took it sideways.

Key change? Is that some term I don�t know?
    You know because you'll do it again below.

Are you asking what authority I have to judge marketing? Well what are you expecting from someone to be able to judge marketing? Or is it just cheap rhetoric?

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 7:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh and banning advertisement of food could help against obesity. Seeing advertisement on food possibly makes people more hungry and more likely to eat more.
    Unlikely see this example
    http://www.nber.org/reporter/winter04/saffer.html
    Advertising of things of this nature changes what brands we eat and drink not our desire to do so.

Posted On:
    8/27/2013 8:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting stuff from the APA well actually not that intresting as most of them are well duh moments
    http://www.apa.org/topics/kids-media/food.aspx?item=1
    Gee imagine that the more tv a kid watches the heavier they are.
    Gee imagine letting your kid pick what and when they will eat doesn't lead to the great choices who would have ever fucking imagined that?
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast