Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2013 3:35am

Style: Judo, occasional boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fight quest / Honey moon

So my future wife and I decided to go on a 3 weeks trip. It will be some kind of around the world trip.
    First fix point is New York. Then off to the West Coast (San Francisco / Los Angeles / San Diego - not fixed yet). After that will be Hawaii. The last country to be visited is not fixed yet - Thailand, Japan, Philippines and South Korea are in for the run.

Now it'stime to get some helpful advice from the community!

We would love to train on the road. More specifically we are looking for high quality instruction and awesome Dojos not to miss in the mentioned areas.

Any advice / useful suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Q

Posted On:
    8/10/2013 3:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San Diego, Judo America, Primal JuiJitsu, University of JuiJitsu, Gracie Competion Team Eastlake, Migoto Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 6:43pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For New York there are so many options. It depends on what style you're looking for. Going by your profile I assume Judo

Oishi Judo is great, but last I went there you needed USJF insurance in order to take class. Which costs about $50, plus each class is $25.

There's also Five points academy which I've heard good things about but never went there myself.

Then there's the Renzo Gracie academies which get mixed reviews. Most people say the class sizes are so large that its hard to get the individual attention and the class experience varies greatly depending on who you end up partnered up with.

Good luck. PM me with any questions or if you want me to send you the website from any of the aforementioned gyms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 11:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys, thx for the responses, will check out the mentioned clubs with my google-FU.

style-wise we are looking for

a) striking: boxing / muay thai / sanda / savate
    here it's pretty much an "everything goes as long as the instruction is good and they do sparring. Fo my inflexible hips something not tooo kicks-heavy would be great.

b) grappling: judo / jiu jitsu
    since my fiancee is not too fond of being thrown (which is a pity, really), we are
    looking more for groundwork.
    Last edited by Q_wer; 8/13/2013 11:18am at . Reason: readability

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train with probably the oldest FMA club in San Diego, from GM Narrie Babao. He's one of Dan Inosanto's friends. We train in a small garage setting. Starting this weekend, I'm organizing some park weapon sparring sessions to get ready for the upcoming Dog Bros Gathering. You could probably check out either one if you're interested in that kind of stuff. If you can schedule it, I would highly encourage you to go to the gathering itself in LA- it really is something to see. Few ever get to see such a gathering of full contact weapon fighting. Its happening September 22nd, probably at Hayastan MMA in North Hollywood.

I've lived in San Diego my whole life, so if you need any info on what to do/see/eat while you're here, feel free to drop me a line.

Goodlun's suggestions are great if you're into grappling or MMA. There's quite a following of those arts here.
    Last edited by Permalost; 8/13/2013 11:37am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2013 3:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that's too bad. We will set off in october, so we will sadly miss the gathering which would have surely been quite a site. I have watched the documentary on the dog brothers which follows them on a gathering. Really looked like a tough thing..

We would love to do some FMA-stuff. I just have to warn you that neither of us has lots of background in stick or weapons fighting other than the odd fooling around with the long stick (bo) and having fun with blunt knives. If this does not horrify you (and i would understand, if it does ;) ), let us know!

San Diego sounds amazing as far as the martial arts community is concerned. Living there it must be quite a tough choice what art to commit yourself to.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/14/2013 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By October, we'll probably be done with hard park sparring sessions since the gathering will have passed and we'll want to recover.

If you'd like, I could do a FMA crash course with you and your wife. Working with total beginners in the garage might kinda throw off our training- we don't have any new people at the moment so we tend to do more advanced stuff, and some of us are preparing for a Maestro exam. I've taught a few people with no background enough to do some basic sparring and drills that you can take with you and develop on your own. I try to keep things simple, principle-based, and interactive. A lot of FMA out there (even the ones I train) can be a lot more by-the-numbers and complex. For example, the FMA I do use a system of 12 basic strikes, while the short-term stuff I teach uses only 5 (but using good principles you can deal with all 12 using the 5). Also I start taking away the pattern/order much more early than a lot of traditionalists. I taught a mini seminar at the last SoCal Bullshido throwdown and everyone seemed to like the material (in retrospect, I wish I shut up earlier so there could've been more sparring). Maybe I could organize something with goodlun and/or other bullies who feel like doing some FMA basics. I could pick a nice public place that shows off San Diego while you're here.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/14/2013 5:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in NYC we have kokushi budo, with judo 4x a week with 2x national champion shintaro higashi. http://kokushibudo.com/

edit: noticed you are looking for groundwork. you may want to go to marcelo garcia's gym instead.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    8/14/2013 10:59pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Airlie beach is nice.

and we have MMA.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    8/14/2013 11:37pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Airlie beach is nice.

and we have MMA.
    Have they finished the roadworks yet? they were mildly annoying, but can see why they did them in winter.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast