Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 1:00am

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A request

Often, I find myself hitting the sandbag in the garage, practicing strikes to the air, or lightly sparring my not-as-gungho friends and wonder, "Is this good form? Is this the best way to strike from this position? Would there be a better way to deliver this strike? Am I forgetting anything or overextending?"

As such, I was thinking that perhaps Bullshido could have a form breakdown/analysis on the basic strikes and how power is generated from them. Of course, different strikes are used for different reasons, and the same strike can be changed for different scenarios, but a nice breakdown on the basic or "most perfect" form in an ideal scenario (like hitting a bag) would be nice.

For instance, on a low rear-legged roundhouse, the list would describe:
    Basic Form/How it's done - A step-by-step guide on how to throw a basic roundhouse.

Point of Contact - Shin vs Ball-of-foot

Details - How high to bring the leg, whether to bring the kick around or to drop it at a downwards angle, chamber or not chamber etc.

Where to attack - Hitting right above or high above the knee on the side to deadleg, smashing across the quads to cramp up.

How to deliver the most effective strike - Focus on leading with your hip, follow through the strike, point your toes.

Things to watch out for - Don't let your hands drop low, recover quickly, don't hit with your instep.

Advanced tidbits - You can throw your rear (while kicking, lead) hand backwards to counterbalance the strike.

A rudimentary list would be:
    Jab
    Straight/Cross
    Hook
    Uppercut

Lead roundhouse
    Rear roundhouse
    Push/heel kick
    Front kick
    Side kick

with some more complicated strikes after the original is done such as:
    Smash punch
    Shovel Hook

Smash Kick
    Back Kick

I know this is a lot to ask for, but I feel as if a list like this could be useful for beginners or confused strikes like me. Also, this may be a way to "standardize" strikes to be used as the "best form to use in most scenarios that allow the strike to occur".

Granted we could have our coaches or teachers teach us, but even then, I find myself doubting their advice. Especially since different coaches often preach different things due to their own style of fighting. Thus a list of basic strikes would be extremely helpful.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 2:37am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're in San Diego, right? I could have a look. My background is about a decade of kung fu (including some sanshou and pankration), and few years of FMA since then. Not exactly the most orthodox striking background but I'd like to think I've got good fundamentals. I used to beat on the bag a lot as a teenager too. PM me if you wanna meet up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 3:55am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basic Form/How it's done - Find a coach you trust in a style you like.

Point of Contact - At the gym.

Details - Train with him.

How to deliver the most effective strike - Learn from someone experienced, not over the internet.

Things to watch out for - Mcdojos, Wing Chun, etc.

Advanced tidbits - STFU and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 7:39am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post

How to deliver the most effective strike - Learn from someone experienced, not over the internet.

Seems a little harsh considering Cuddles has been pretty proactive in getting a wrestling program started at his school and whatnot. Looks like he's trying to fill some gaps in his training by asking some people who's opinions he values.

Maybe he's not got the cash, as a teenager, to supplement high school wrestling with striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 11:08am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post

Quit being a dick. You know damn well what he was asking for and why.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 11:46am

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PM'd you Perma, though SD is 100 miles away from me. Sanshou, FMA, and Pankration? Man, I'm jealous.

However, I'm thinking that a throwdown with multiple people instead of a small meet up would be more effective. Unfortunately, that'll have to wait until next year, since school starts basically next week.

I still feel that a guide to strikes would be more helpful though, since it could be easily reviewed, replayed (or reread), saved, and shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmond View Post
    Seems a little harsh considering Cuddles has been pretty proactive in getting a wrestling program started at his school and whatnot. Looks like he's trying to fill some gaps in his training by asking some people who's opinions he values.

Maybe he's not got the cash, as a teenager, to supplement high school wrestling with striking.
    Thanks. I actually don't have the money for that since my parents aren't paying for wrestling for me (except the shoes and headgear). I have a paid internship though, so hopefully that will help cover expenses like registration, hydration testing, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    Quit being a dick. You know damn well what he was asking for and why.
    Don't get your panties in a bunch, ya'll.

Sorry if, for whatever reason, I thought he had "teachers or coaches" he could ask:
    Granted we could have our coaches or teachers teach us, but even then, I find myself doubting their advice.
    The kid made it sound like he was paying for instruction from coaches whose expertise he doubted, not like he couldn't afford training.

Fact is though, everyone on here is going to give you a slightly different answer on how to "perfectly" throw even a basic strike, because we train in different styles. How's he going to decide who to trust, when we're all right? (in regards to our own style)
    Last edited by Like Water; 8/22/2013 3:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Me calling you out have nothing to do with me having any panties in a bunch. It's just calling you out.

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 3:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does it feel when you're striking?

One of my favorite things about the heavy bag is that if your form is bad it WILL let you know. You'll feel pain. The bag won't move. You'll knock yourself off balance. The bag will kick the **** out of you for being a punk.

I would say focusing on your fundamental body mechanics and being very aware of how your technique or lack thereof is affecting the power of your strikes against the bag is about as good as you can get without having an experienced trainer there with you. Try oput the different strikes ou know. You'll see pretty fast what hits hard and what doesn't. And once you can rockt that bag like no tomorrow you will be hitting like a ton of bricks. It's good stuff!

You should still seek instruction to get those solid fundamentals though. It will do wonders for your progress.

Train safe, bro!