222493 Bullies, 4313 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 118
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. The Villain is offline

    Lightweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    131

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 9:05am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    7
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Devil. I think that a neutral party should objectively evaluate these claims, look into the issue, and then do a write up for .org. Whether or not you agree with my opinion, the facts of the issue tell us that something is wrong with the equation.

    I don't think that the IBJJF is paying Oden off or anything, I just don't think that IBJJF workers of any sort should lead the investigation into the IBJJF.
  2. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,221

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 11:24am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    To say that someone who makes a thimble full of money from the IBJJF and is otherwise gainfully employed is an IBJJF employee and are suppressing information for that reason is just ridiculous - unless of course he has some proof besides not seeing eye to eye on editing issues.

    It's a conflict of interest between BS.net and the IBJJF, not her day job.
    Her ties with the IBJJF are tighter than those here one could safely assume.
    The "thimbleful of money" is more than she makes here as well, i'd wager.


    I agree otherwise, neither of them should lead this.
  3. submessenger is offline
    submessenger's Avatar

    Transmaniacon MC

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    1,601

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 11:58am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno about Houston, but the way it works in Miami goes something like this:

    Professor: Hey guys I just got off the phone with X and we're going to be working the Miami Open. I need 10 volunteers who aren't competing to spend 12-14 hours of your Saturday herding people and screwing up scores. It's OK, you get a free t-shirt and $100.

    Doesn't sound like a conflict of interest to me, it's an occasional 1-day volunteer job that pays crap.
  4. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,221

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:11pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post

    Doesn't sound like a conflict of interest to me, it's an occasional 1-day volunteer job that pays crap.
    The amount of pay is irrelevant, ffs.
    (If you get paid at all, it's not really a "volunteer" job either...)


    Having an employee of the IBJJF (no matter the capacity) heading an investigation into the IBJJF is a clear conflict of interest.

    How is that so difficult to understand?
  5. submessenger is offline
    submessenger's Avatar

    Transmaniacon MC

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    1,601

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:23pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see your point, but I don't consider a one-day piece of work to be an employee. Contractor would be a more apt description, but even that is a stretch. Really, these "volunteers," are athletes, teammates, and stand to gain every bit as much from this investigation as The Villain and others in his situation.
  6. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,542

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:36pm

    supporting member
     

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    It's a conflict of interest between BS.net and the IBJJF, not her day job.
    Her ties with the IBJJF are tighter than those here one could safely assume.
    The "thimbleful of money" is more than she makes here as well, i'd wager.


    I agree otherwise, neither of them should lead this.

    That has zero to do with the point I was making. I made no argument about whether or not there was a conflict of interest, although I happen to think a strong argument could be made that there isn't.

    My point was that it's ridiculous to say someone is suppressing information and point to a couple hundred bucks of pay as the motivation when there is no evidence to support such an accusation.
  7. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,221

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:44pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    That has zero to do with the point I was making. I made no argument about whether or not there was a conflict of interest, although I happen to think a strong argument could be made that there isn't.

    My point was that it's ridiculous to say someone is suppressing information and point to a couple hundred bucks of pay as the motivation when there is no evidence to support such an accusation.

    I'm not actually accusing anyone of any impropriety, and for the record i agree.

    I'm pointing out that it taints the investigation and both parties should recuse themselves to avoid that.
  8. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,542

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:47pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I'm not actually accusing anyone of any impropriety, and for the record i agree.

    I'm pointing out that it taints the investigation and both parties should recuse themselves to avoid that.
    No, you didn't. But The Villain did and that's what my statement was referencing.
  9. catfishaggie is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    699

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:47pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I see your point, but I don't consider a one-day piece of work to be an employee. Contractor would be a more apt description, but even that is a stretch. Really, these "volunteers," are athletes, teammates, and stand to gain every bit as much from this investigation as The Villain and others in his situation.
    I don't think you really do, but kinda there. Jitschix is active in the IBJJF as a worker, more so than a one off "volunteer" and that is the basis Chen's point.
  10. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,221

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:54pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    No, you didn't. But The Villain did and that's what my statement was referencing.
    That was more or less refuted by jnp and somewhat withdrawn by The Villain.


    Did it affect her decision? I can't say for sure, but I don't trust a scenario like that.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.