Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Devil. I think that a neutral party should objectively evaluate these claims, look into the issue, and then do a write up for .org. Whether or not you agree with my opinion, the facts of the issue tell us that something is wrong with the equation.

I don't think that the IBJJF is paying Oden off or anything, I just don't think that IBJJF workers of any sort should lead the investigation into the IBJJF.

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 11:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    To say that someone who makes a thimble full of money from the IBJJF and is otherwise gainfully employed is an IBJJF employee and are suppressing information for that reason is just ridiculous - unless of course he has some proof besides not seeing eye to eye on editing issues.

It's a conflict of interest between BS.net and the IBJJF, not her day job.
    Her ties with the IBJJF are tighter than those here one could safely assume.
    The "thimbleful of money" is more than she makes here as well, i'd wager.

I agree otherwise, neither of them should lead this.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 11:58am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno about Houston, but the way it works in Miami goes something like this:

Professor: Hey guys I just got off the phone with X and we're going to be working the Miami Open. I need 10 volunteers who aren't competing to spend 12-14 hours of your Saturday herding people and screwing up scores. It's OK, you get a free t-shirt and $100.

Doesn't sound like a conflict of interest to me, it's an occasional 1-day volunteer job that pays crap.

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:11pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post

Doesn't sound like a conflict of interest to me, it's an occasional 1-day volunteer job that pays crap.
    The amount of pay is irrelevant, ffs.
    (If you get paid at all, it's not really a "volunteer" job either...)

Having an employee of the IBJJF (no matter the capacity) heading an investigation into the IBJJF is a clear conflict of interest.

How is that so difficult to understand?

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:23pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see your point, but I don't consider a one-day piece of work to be an employee. Contractor would be a more apt description, but even that is a stretch. Really, these "volunteers," are athletes, teammates, and stand to gain every bit as much from this investigation as The Villain and others in his situation.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:36pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    It's a conflict of interest between BS.net and the IBJJF, not her day job.
    Her ties with the IBJJF are tighter than those here one could safely assume.
    The "thimbleful of money" is more than she makes here as well, i'd wager.

I agree otherwise, neither of them should lead this.

That has zero to do with the point I was making. I made no argument about whether or not there was a conflict of interest, although I happen to think a strong argument could be made that there isn't.

My point was that it's ridiculous to say someone is suppressing information and point to a couple hundred bucks of pay as the motivation when there is no evidence to support such an accusation.

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:44pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That has zero to do with the point I was making. I made no argument about whether or not there was a conflict of interest, although I happen to think a strong argument could be made that there isn't.

My point was that it's ridiculous to say someone is suppressing information and point to a couple hundred bucks of pay as the motivation when there is no evidence to support such an accusation.

I'm not actually accusing anyone of any impropriety, and for the record i agree.

I'm pointing out that it taints the investigation and both parties should recuse themselves to avoid that.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I'm not actually accusing anyone of any impropriety, and for the record i agree.

I'm pointing out that it taints the investigation and both parties should recuse themselves to avoid that.
    No, you didn't. But The Villain did and that's what my statement was referencing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I see your point, but I don't consider a one-day piece of work to be an employee. Contractor would be a more apt description, but even that is a stretch. Really, these "volunteers," are athletes, teammates, and stand to gain every bit as much from this investigation as The Villain and others in his situation.
    I don't think you really do, but kinda there. Jitschix is active in the IBJJF as a worker, more so than a one off "volunteer" and that is the basis Chen's point.

Posted On:
    8/19/2013 12:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you didn't. But The Villain did and that's what my statement was referencing.
    That was more or less refuted by jnp and somewhat withdrawn by The Villain.

Did it affect her decision? I can't say for sure, but I don't trust a scenario like that.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast