Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 10:48pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    God forbid I use English to express an idea, one which I'm sure you understood just fine.
    Well and good for an Englishman to say. Which I know you are, as only one of the definitions of English from your own dictionary is:

of, pertaining to, or characteristic of England or its inhabitants, institutions, etc.
    The sad part is that you think this pedantic tripe makes you intelligent.

You're also unqualified to comment
    What does your dictionary say about irony?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    9/03/2013 11:45pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For example, what sort of numbers are we talking here? How much damage have these guys allegedly done?
    To put it in perspective, in the 12 months to June 13 the Euro area recorded a trade surplus of EUR$136.3b (USD$179.5b) and in 2012 the EU had a EUR$146.7b (USD$193.1b) surplus in international services trade.

So in terms of their damage to the European economy, unless they're issuing tens of millions of new black belts every year, nothing of note. Given that there are only 582 black belts that appear in their current rankings list this would seem unlikely.

In commercial terms Gracie Barra is quite small, as is the IBJJF.

However, in terms of the Brasilian Jiu Jitsu market they are large players (albeit in a rather small pond). They have a stranglehold on an emerging industry and appear to be utilising anti-competitive tactics to ensure that they maintain their influence as the market expands.

So, if you are still determined to go down the economic argument route you may want to stick to market economics and the market innefficiencies created by monopolies and anti-competitive behaviour. It may also be worth referenceing any applicable state and/or federal anti-competition legislation.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever dude. You literally know NOTHING about the subject you're discussing. Simple fanboy.
    You're right dude. I clearly don't have an Economics dedgree. You clearly do. Thank you for showing me the light.

And is the fanboy remark meant to mean I train with IBJJF? There are several people on my FB that can attest I do not. But keep going with the ad hominum. It's just further proving that you can't be a decent investigator.
    Last edited by elipson; 9/04/2013 12:12am at .

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought about bringing up market inefficiencies in the BJJ market and how this is cheating consumers of value, but the conversation didn't remain civil long enough for me to say anything he would understand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monopoly_welfare.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	15376

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 12:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    I thought about bringing up market inefficiencies in the BJJ market and how this is cheating consumers of value, but the conversation didn't remain civil long enough for me to say anything he would understand.
    Including stifling growth.

I'm approaching it like a roll against someone less experienced. You tap them then offer them guidance on how to improve in that situation.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 8:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not a monopoly issue. The consumers aren't the target. The instructors are being forced to buy things that they already own. Buying an association leeches 2k a year off your income, forces you to build the brand of your direct competitor, forces you to split your earnings with outside instructors and ties your success to outside parties. Gracie Barra and Team Lloyd Irvin are prime examples of pretty severe collapses due to association improprieties.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 8:27am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is dumb to forgo the monopoly issue. That would be a great hook for federal litigation.

Sent from my galaxy s4 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
    Head of BJJ Investigations

p.s. I don't have access to the forums from my workplace, so if you have questions please email me directly, georgettejitsu at gmail.com

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 8:28am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, that is, you could find a prosecutor willing to go antitrust on it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
    Head of BJJ Investigations

p.s. I don't have access to the forums from my workplace, so if you have questions please email me directly, georgettejitsu at gmail.com

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 10:08am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I'm just killing time by arguing on the internet. I'm gonna hand over the relevant files to someone else today and/or tomorrow and get back to business. I've found that the simplest way to handle the drama when people ask about lineage and affiliation is to simply say, "We don't do that here" and then shake hands and grapple. If they ask further questions, you tell them the absolute truth. If you stand on your own merits and do business honestly and ethically, you'll be alright, despite what they say during the hard sell. I don't intend to destroy these guys. Don't need to.

Besides, rumor has it that they've already got their hands full. lol

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found that the simplest way to handle the drama when people ask about lineage and affiliation is to simply say, "We don't do that here" and then shake hands and grapple. If they ask further questions, you tell them the absolute truth. If you stand on your own merits and do business honestly and ethically, you'll be alright, despite what they say during the hard sell.
    AFAIK you have lineage, it's just not being currently recognized. do you not say that?

just out of curiosity, if you are teaching gi grappling, what belt do you wear? how are you dealing with rank that students earn from you?

i'm not saying that you are wrong in what you are doing, but the "party line" on bullshido has been that a situation like what you are describing (instructor with belts that are not recognized, teaching outside of the affiliations) would be considered a red flag, and would be things that a prospective student would be wise to worry about.

maybe it's time to change the "party line", i'm not sure, that's why i brought it up, because this is a clear-cut exception to the rule (we have a known coach with verified skills who is throwing up undeserved red flags.)

i understand that times are changing in terms of what a belt or affiliation means in the BJJ world, but, remember that in the past claims by instructors that "the proof is on the mat" and "i don't need affiliation/belts/etc to know how to fight" have been met with ridicule on here for a long time.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast