226189 Bullies, 3935 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 21
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. mrbigglesworth is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    69

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 3:19am


     Style: jiujitsu, karate, shorinj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you say it's your last go around with the art, do you mean that you want to quit tkd and start another art? Or do you mean quitting martial arts in general? I'm not a huge fan of tkd, but damn you guys are fast and flexible! I have a friend that switched his ITF tkd contract to a cheaper one (i think once or twice a week) started to dabble in kyokushin (now orange belt) and a once a week free judo course at a local community center. He said that things felt different at first, but now he enjoys the knockdown karate and is now absolutely in love with judo! Stick with tkd, try a different art (bjj,judo,KK,Boxing etc) and see how it blends with your current skills, but don't outright quit martial arts if you can still afford it. You'll feel like **** in a few weeks
  2. danharr is online now
    danharr's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,182

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 7:40am

    supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I already cross train but yes I was thinking about dropping tkd to fit in something else. What I'll probably do is drop tkd back to 3 months a year and do other arts for the 9 after this next go around.
  3. NeilG is online now
    NeilG's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,322

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 10:47am


     Style: Kendo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've been doing this for a while and you can't evaluate for yourself whether the higher ranked people are better than you or have skills you'd like to acquire?
  4. danharr is online now
    danharr's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,182

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 5:59pm

    supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You've been doing this for a while and you can't evaluate for yourself whether the higher ranked people are better than you or have skills you'd like to acquire?
    I've observed the black belts and wasn't too empressed hence my question but since I'm not in the black belt class. My casual observations can't be trusted so I deciced to ask people who've been there already.
  5. BKR is online now
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,593

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 8:25pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danharr View Post
    I've observed the black belts and wasn't too empressed hence my question but since I'm not in the black belt class. My casual observations can't be trusted so I deciced to ask people who've been there already.
    You are a brown belt and do not train with black belts? Is that common in TKD ? In Judo brown belts would be training with black belts as much as possible. Especially randori (sparring).

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
  6. danharr is online now
    danharr's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,182

    Posted On:
    8/19/2013 9:10pm

    supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You are a brown belt and do not train with black belts? Is that common in TKD ? In Judo brown belts would be training with black belts as much as possible. Especially randori (sparring).

    Ben
    TKD has different federations so I don't want to speak for tkd in general. At my school sure the small stuff everybody does together. One step sparring, pad hitting, and patterns but as far as actual sparring or something that would show me blackbelt skill no we don't do together.
  7. jedtex88 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    118

    Posted On:
    8/20/2013 3:05am


     Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danharr View Post
    TKD has different federations so I don't want to speak for tkd in general. At my school sure the small stuff everybody does together. One step sparring, pad hitting, and patterns but as far as actual sparring or something that would show me blackbelt skill no we don't do together.
    I guess I should feel fortunate that my school tossed me in with black belts right out of the gate. How long have you been with this school?
  8. danharr is online now
    danharr's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,182

    Posted On:
    8/20/2013 7:38am

    supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since 2/11 but mandatory sparring was implemented recently so a lot of what I've said may already be out of the window. I took a break so I haven't seen the new policy in action but a lot of my concerns may have worked themselves out.
  9. Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs is offline
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar

    fist first Philosopher

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,655

    Posted On:
    8/20/2013 8:15am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=danharr;2795093]... 2/11 ...QUOTE]

    Is that February 2011 or November 2002?
    I'm European and we have a different date notation than the US.

    If it's February 2011 and you are already a brown belt without prior experience in a striking art, then just drop it.

    If it's November 2002, stop after obtaining your black belt (1st Dan) to have a better closure before moving on.

    rank with us was:
    10th kup = white belt
    8th kup = yellow belt
    6th kup = green belt
    4th kup = blue belt
    2nd kup = red belt
    1st kup = red belt/black marking
    1st to 10th Dan = black belt/gold marking(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
  10. jedtex88 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    118

    Posted On:
    8/20/2013 9:13am


     Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danharr View Post
    Since 2/11 but mandatory sparring was implemented recently so a lot of what I've said may already be out of the window. I took a break so I haven't seen the new policy in action but a lot of my concerns may have worked themselves out.
    I would check the sparring before dropping the art. I myself am a first kyu (brown belt, black stripe) in taekwondo and I wouldn't dream of quitting right now. A taekwondo black belt might not mean much to a lot of people, but it's still proof that you had the gumption to stick it out and take your lumps (or that you know how to write a check) Do you get any sense of satisfaction from practicing?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.