Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 9:52am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    So what you're telling me bro, is that this guy should be fired and replaced with no evidence of wrongdoing? You want to remove the independent instructor and replace him with a franchise member? Is there a financial motive for the "legit" guy to work there? What, if any, fees would the affiliation impose on the academy aside from fair compensation for goods and services?
    From my perspective he is more than welcome to continue teaching gi/no-gi grappling so long as he isn't claiming to be ranking people in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu simply because those people would then be given the false impression that their rank would be recognized by the BJJ organizations. If you aren't worried about affiliating specifically with BJJ related entities, then teach whatever you want, call it Grappling, and go about your business.
    At that point your worth rests solely on your ability to teach and the performance of you and your students on the mats. If you decide to take the extra leap and claim that you are a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu blackbelt teaching Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, then someone is going to want to see some verification of your credentials in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

At that point if you're unwilling or unable to provide them you start to look awfully shady.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Teaching BJJ does not in and of itself imply any affiliation other than whats on the dojo door. Other than that, I agree with what you wrote.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 11:57am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    Teaching BJJ does not in and of itself imply any affiliation other than whats on the dojo door. Other than that, I agree with what you wrote.
    It implies that your rank will be recognized by other BJJ instructors, which may or may not be important to the student, but should be acknowledged.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you go from an independent school to an affiliation, you can usually just register your belt then and there. As for visitors, its a petty instructor that takes a belt off a visitor because of politics. A belt implies a certain level of skill in jiujitsu. All of this other stuff is fucking up the art.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910