Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/09/2014 7:34pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I finally got to shoot my new AR15 on Saturday. It worked like a charm. Took all of 4 rounds to adjust the gas block to operate the rifle with the weakest ammo I plan on using for the time being (Wolf Gold .223 . . . available for around 35 cents a round shipped if you poke around the internet). The barrel seemed to shoot great without much in the way of "break in," and I am REALLY happy with the Hipertouch 24C trigger. Of note: H&K Steel Mags and CAA mags both experienced failure to feed issues with my AR, but Gen3 PMags fed flawlessly. Neither FTF resulted in a major malfunction, and I expect the issue will either correct itself in 100-200 more rounds with break-in, or is related to the low gas setting I currently am using. Next time I am at the range, I will open the gas system up a click or two and see how the non-PMags do.

All in all I am very happy with my rifle, and look forward to getting a real optic on it so I can see just how good a shooter it is.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    4/04/2014 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Range Report/Function Check Pat 2

I just got back from an indoor range that happens to allow AR15s (AP/bimetal not allowed). I was actually there to test out some new home defense ammunition for my glock 19: 147 grain Federal HST. 50 rounds functioned with 100% reliability and great accuracy out to 25 yards, so I feel confident swapping out my old speer gold dot with this. The fact that I can actually find it online for a reasonable price coupled with it being subsonic and standard pressure makes it a near-perfect solution for me. I'll be dragging the wife out to the range soon to make sure she's comfortable shooting it. Oh, and then there's this:

Onto my second range report with my first AR build.

Bad news first: My AR15 exhibited a couple more failures to feed (one from a CAA magazine, one from a Gen3 PMag). I'm hopeful this will resolve itself with a bit more break-in, but may end up adjusting my gas system or swapping my buffer/spring setup to see if I can nip this in the bud. Two rounds out of 200 fired today puts me at 99% reliability, so it's not the end of the world.

Good news: Everything else about my AR functioned flawlessly. Despite the 18" barrel, it points quickly and naturally. The trigger is just absolutely a dream. The Diamondhead sights are really easy to acquire. The 15" evo rail makes gripping far out easy, and allows me to stabilize the rifle a lot better than my work M4. My offhand groupings and controlled pairs were acceptable, if a bit flighty on the horizontal axis. Still getting used to the light trigger. Zero vertical rise or fall though.

In closing, I'd like to give a special shout out to dwkfym for the VG6 Epsilon: I LOVE this brake/comp/flash hider hybrid. I perceive very little recoil with it, there is absolutely no muzzle rise--it doesn't push my barrel down, either--and the flash hiding feature works pretty well too. The muzzle blast to the sides was increased over a standard A2 flash hider, but not egregiously so. Noise seemed about the same as an A2. I will continue testing the Epsilon long term, but I am really happy with it so far. If I'm picking nits, I can point out two characteristics that others MIGHT not like about it: It is on the long side (about 2.2 inches, per VG6's website), and it is not suppressor compatible. I knew both of these characteristics going in, and I don't personally find them to be drawbacks. A bigger comp = better performance, and given that I already am using a standard weight 18" barrel, 2.2 inches is nothing. I personally think slapping a suppressor on an AR chambered in 5.56 with an 18" barrel is silly, and have no intentions of doing so. But you might want to suppress your AR, so keep that in mind.

This rifle building thing is quite a lot of fun.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2014 2:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the 10 years since the Brady Bill and the federal assault weapons ban expired, the market for semiautomatic rifles has exploded in the United States. Among the most popular rifles on the market is the AR-15.
    The demand has been so large that Joe Morrell, owner of Big Dís Gun and Pawn in Pocatello, is finishing the construction of a special room in his shop to display his collection of semiautomatic rifles for sale. He said they were taking up too much space where his shotguns were displayed.

Posted On:
    5/26/2014 10:54pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Final" form for my lefty AR15 build:

I added one of the new Gen 2 Primary Arms 1-6 Optics. I still need a quick throw cat-tail, but otherwise this beast is done. I had to remove the Diamondhead BUIS to accommodate my new optic, but it's totally worth it, given that it's not a combat weapon. The Diamondheads will recycle nicely into my next project. An interesting part of this build is that no one component costs more than $269. So while it is a pretty expensive build overall, none of the components are irreplaceable. Except for the damn optic, which I've been waiting on for six months, and was lucky enough to get one of the original 400 imported.

Bonus shot of another new range toy that has been keeping me busy:

Posted On:
    8/29/2014 5:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maryland has decided to partially reinstate our freedom, so I went ahead and picked up another couple stripped lowers. 1x Anderson Arms ($100 out the door) and 1x Spikes Tactical Jolly Roger. Now I just need a cash and carry AR .308 lower and a 1911 Range Officer, and I will at least possess all the serialized parts I need as a hedge against a worse Maryland firearms ban.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678