Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 9:19pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    I managed to get the lefty stripped upper and chrome BCG from Stag Arms last week prior to them selling out . . . again. The parts I am currently lacking:

Barrel (still undecided)
    Gas block (leaning toward a Syrac adjustable clamp on or set screw/detent)
    Free float Rail System/barrel nut (Samson Evo, Rainier Arms Evo, or Noveske NSR . . . or other)
    Compensator or flash hider (VG6 gamma, epsilon, or Ares Armory Effin-A MKii)

Additionally, I need to buy a few more tools to mount said parts.

After that, I've got a few early front-runners to consider for optics, but nothing jumps out at me.
    Finally took the plunge and ordered a barrel from Blackhole Weaponry. The 20% SHOT Show discount convinced me. Went with 18" standard gas length, in their new shot peened black. I also ordered an SLR Rifleworks DA-7C adjustable low-profile gas block. I went with adjustable because rifle length gas on an 18" barrel can be a bit tricky sometimes, and it will be fun to play with. Also have aeroshell 33ms grease, a standard barrel nut, and a gas tube on the way. I'm 99.9% decided on Rainier Arms' version of the Evo 15" for my rail, but those are out of stock right now. I need to pick up an upper vice block clamp or equivalent to torque the barrel and VG6 Epsilon down, but I am almost done with my build. Now . . . to decide on BUIS and optics.

Also, with the money I saved on a BHW barrel I am thinking about upgrading to Geissele SSA-E and moving the ACT over to the other build.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Yours truly

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 10:08pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you won't go wrong with that rail! the seekins precision one is good too.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    1/20/2014 10:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    you won't go wrong with that rail! the seekins precision one is good too.
    I looked at the MCSR and the SP3R rails. I would have to hold the SP3R rail to determine whether or not I find it to be comfortable, and the MCSR is actually what I am considering for use on my .300 BLK build because its ID is large enough to take a serious suppressor.

Posted On:
    1/23/2014 7:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    I looked at the MCSR and the SP3R rails. I would have to hold the SP3R rail to determine whether or not I find it to be comfortable, and the MCSR is actually what I am considering for use on my .300 BLK build because its ID is large enough to take a serious suppressor.
    Aaaand I finally found an in stock Rainier Arms Evo 15" rail. Booya. All rifle parts ordered. Now I just have to worry about pesky optics and BUIS. Thinking of trying out the Diamondhead flip up rear sight and auto ranger front sight. Probably a waste of my money, but I think they might be on to something with the aperture shape. Seems like it'd be fun to test out.

Posted On:
    2/23/2014 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My barrel is on its way (as are 400 rounds of assorted ammo to play with). I don't have an optic (probably going with a Primary Arms 1-6 initially), but did go with the Rainier version of the Diamondhead BUIS. It wasn't intentional, but I did end up going with mostly Rainier furniture. I also decided I wanted a more precise trigger on this build, so I swapped the ACT for a Hipertouch 24C. The parts I didn't use for this build won't be going to waste though. They are all better suited for my .300 blk build.

In other annoying news, I couldn't find an upper receiver block that worked with my leftie AR, so I ended up going with a geissele reaction rod to work on the thing.

At any rate, I should have everything here and ready to put together by next weekend.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/23/2014 4:48pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have recently decided to build 1 or 2 AR's myself. I have begun my journey by purchasing 2 Palmetto State Armory lowers:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ire-lower.html

I did this based on the advice of a knowledgeable friend. Hopefully he was correct. I admit, I'm completely overwhelmed when it comes to the vast assortment of available AR parts.

So, does this company make quality lowers?

Posted On:
    2/23/2014 6:05pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I have recently decided to build 1 or 2 AR's myself. I have begun my journey by purchasing 2 Palmetto State Armory lowers:

I did this based on the advice of a knowledgeable friend. Hopefully he was correct. I admit, I'm completely overwhelmed when it comes to the vast assortment of available AR parts.

Any lower made to spec will work fine. Many are made by the same factory with different marks applied anyway. The usual problem with "bad lowers" is out of spec dimensions.

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 7:12pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post

Palmetto State generally makes good stuff. You should have no issues with their lowers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 9:49pm

Style: Mostly mixed-up FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Second the vote for PSA - good place, good stuff. They can be slow to ship, but they're a small operation.

And their deals on lowers are incredibly frustrating for us in the DPRMD who, since last October, are banned from purchasing so many more things...

I'll leave that alone now, it just gets my blood pressure up.

But I did get one finished lower before the ban hammer so I've been following this thread - maybe this year I'll build up my boomstick, so keeping current on parts and manufacturers is helpful.

Re-lurking...

Posted On:
    2/28/2014 1:47am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

First build complete!

I finished my first build. I actually took crappy cell phone pictures as I went through the process, but it's late and I don't feel like uploading them all right now. Will try to get to it later.

Final parts list, in case anyone cares:
    Stag lower
    Stag LPK
    Hipertouch 24C trigger w/ light springs installed (2.5ish lb trigger pull)
    Ergo grip
    B.A.D. CASS ambi (long right side, short left side)
    B.A.D. Enhanced pivot/takedown pins
    Troy ambi mag release
    Troy ambi bolt catch
    Troy extended trigger guard
    KNS anti-roll pins
    PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube (blemish)
    Magpul CTR stock w/ extended recoil pad
    Stock buffer spring
    H buffer
    Stag lefty upper
    Stag chromed lefty bolt
    Stag chromed lefty bcg
    Blackhole Weaponry 18" standard profile rifle length gas barrel, shot peened black
    SLR Rifleworks DA-7C adjustable low profile gas block
    WMD Nitromet rifle length gas tube
    Rainier Raptor ambi charging handle
    VG6 Precision Epsilon Muzzle Brake
    Accu-washer #18
    Rainier Arms Evolution 15" Free Float Rail System
    Rainier Arms Diamondhead Flip up BUIS

This has been a fun process so far. I can see why people get addicted to building unreasonable numbers of these things. Really hoping to get some range time this weekend, but it appears that the bulk ammo I ordered to break the rifle in won't be here until Monday. May try to find 100 rounds or so locally to at least play around with.

I do have a few lessons learned from this adventure that I think are worth sharing with the group:

1.) Building a precision rifle on my own was in no way, shape, or form cheaper than buying one. Due to the fact that I wanted a lefty upper, I had to be picky about gunsmithing tools and that drove cost up. That said, to mod one that had 85% of the features I wanted would have required all the same gunsmithing tools, so I think I set myself up pretty well for future tinkering. Regardless, tinkering and assembling this rifle was incredibly fun, and really gave me something to look forward to while dealing with a really horrible fall/winter full of illness and death in my family. I learned an enormous amount about the firearm I have carried in combat, and honestly feel like I am a more well-rounded Soldier for it.

2.) Putting together an upper is a lot easier than I expected. I cleaned and lubricated all upper parts before install, so I think that helped. I anticipated installing the barrel to be a serious pain in the ass, but it was actually very easy. The barrel slid right into place on the upper, and the barrel nut was generally well behaved and easy to torque to spec. I attribute this to lubing the barrel, barrel nut, and upper correctly with aeroshell 33ms.

3.) The gas block (SLR DA-7C) slid on pretty easily and seems to be placed/timed properly, but I won't know for sure until I test it with some canned air (not to mention getting it dialed in to function optimally).

4.) The accu-washer system I got to mount the VG6 Epsilon made installing and timing said Epsilon fairly easy, and should keep it from causing any funny business later on. I had to loosen and tighten a few times to get it timed properly, but it seems to be pretty decent right now.

5.) The Rainier Evo FF rail system was pretty easy to install, but the instructions that come with it and the online tutorials don't go as in depth as they maybe should (specifically RE: the small set screw that opens the rails up to easier slide over the thermal bushings). I did have to do some minor tapping with a nylon hammer to get the anti-rotation tabs fully seated against my upper, but nothing too crazy.

6.) The Geissele reaction rod helped A LOT. Given that I don't have a dedicated work bench and thus had to build a rudimentary mount for my bench vise, this puppy paid for itself tonight as far as I'm concerned. It allowed me to completely assemble the upper in less than an hour, and the results are far more professional than I believe I would otherwise have gotten. Especially since most vise blocks don't accommodate lefty uppers.

7.) Folks: Grease your roll pins prior to inserting them. Turns that semi-harrowing task into a snap. And use electrical tape anywhere you can to avoid scratching your AR.

8.) I went with the Hipertouch 24C because I wanted a nice trigger that was a little different from the ones offered by Geissele or the new AR Gold trigger. I'll have to shoot it to verify, but the dry firing I have done leads me to believe that it is an amazing single stage trigger, with a very light, crisp pull and a short, noticeable reset. Feels sort of like a plastic 1911 trigger.

Overall, I'm sure my headaches with this build are just starting, given that I tried feeding 3 different types of match grade ammo I bought for accuracy testing down the road and 2/3 did not load correctly from the magazine (69 grain SMKs and 75 grain Hornady match did not feed properly. 77 grain Remington loaded and extracted/ejected like a dream, oddly enough). Once I applied extremely liberal lube and manually cycled the action a few dozen times, I was able to cycle rounds out of a magazine successfully. Extraction is positive, and does not appear to mar brass excessively for an un-broken in gun, but I can tell I am going to have issues with this bolt being sticky, at least until I get a couple hundred rounds through it and the rifle settles down.

One final thought: AS I MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY, THIS WAS NOT AN ECONOMY BUILD. Please do not take my love of fancy things to be an elitist attitude toward more plain "workhorse" style carbines. I built this rifle specifically to be sub-moa out to 100-200 yards, and "minute of steel" plate out past 400-500 yards.
    Last edited by Cassius; 2/28/2014 1:51am at .
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast