Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2013 12:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post

I have a few semi-fancy pants BCGs from head down productions but I want to get rid of them cheap to free up more money for more muzzle devices.

I might be interested in one of these. I am building my first AR off of an 80% lower. I have an LPK on the way and am prob going to purchase a complete upper minus the BCG.

PM you in a minute.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    12/04/2013 7:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    I might be interested in one of these. I am building my first AR off of an 80% lower. I have an LPK on the way and am prob going to purchase a complete upper minus the BCG.

PM you in a minute.
    Question on the 80% lower - do you have (access to) a nice mill or CNC, or are you doing a freehand router/drill kind of thing, or something in-between? I'm interested because I might try the 80% thing on my next build, if I can get away with not buying more tools.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2013 11:53pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Question on the 80% lower - do you have (access to) a nice mill or CNC, or are you doing a freehand router/drill kind of thing, or something in-between? I'm interested because I might try the 80% thing on my next build, if I can get away with not buying more tools.
    I used the CNC machine at the shop I purchased the lower from in order to mill my lower. So $95 for the lower (forged & anodized) plus $70 to use their CNC machine. Yes I know you can purchase finished ones for less, totally not the point here, why you guys so critical? But hey I was in and out in 30 min with a finished lower in hand. CA is 10 day wait through gun shop plus DROSS fees and anal exam.

I have a friend who has done it both ways.
    $100 dollars for cheap drill press that can run 300 rpm or less. Craftsman I think
    $100 dollars for milling jig
    $100 dollars for end mill and drill bits.
    Plus I think he said his first one took him about 4 hours to do. He said that visually the quality from his CNC one and his home job was pretty hard to tell the difference.

I have several more lowers on the way. Rumor is that the ATF is cracking down on "Build Parties" at the shops selling 80% lowers here in CA. http://aresarmor.com/store/Category/BuildParty
    So the next ones I do will be on a drill press.

All in all it's not really economically viable to go the 80% route but for me the capability and the learning experience is judged to be worth it. I only did the first one at the shop cause I was impatient.

I might buy a poly 80% lower or two. The website referenced above has them. They are supposed to be a piece of cake to mill, as in no jig or drill press needed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 2:42pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    That is the beauty of it. With CNC technology so good and so widely available, there are virtually no headspacing issues using off the shelf BCGs. The only times you'll need a 'matched' BCG is if you're doing something like high power service rifle competitions.s

That being said, if you get one from me and it isn't working (firing upon bolt release, or cross-shaped pattern indented a bit too much on your brass.. most AR's do leave a slight indent on your primer. .scary!), you can always return it to us.

I have a few semi-fancy pants BCGs from head down productions but I want to get rid of them cheap to free up more money for more muzzle devices.
    I got that BCG from you. Just wanted to take a second and say thanks, it looks good and you didn't have to send it Second Day but I sure do appreciate it.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 8:18am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My quick update (no pics, sorry) - got my BCG from dwkfym last week, very very happy with that. It was so nice to be able to cycle the action.

I placed an order, yesterday, for my remaining pieces - some cheap-ass rail pads, the handguard cap so I can actually mount the drop-in rails, and a Tasco BKRD30. Don't laugh, it's inexpensive and gets great reviews.

I'm hoping Friday night I'll have this thing "done," and will get some detailed photos online.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    12/14/2013 5:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, here she is:

"Inexpensive" Red Dot sight:

(this one goes to 11, for all you Spinal Tap lovers)

Troy Battle rails "round out," the build - I actually kinda like these, but they are a pain in the ass to install/remove.

Operator POV:

My only peeve - the drop-in rail is just ever so slightly out of alignment (much less than this pic shows, the camera angle distorts it quite a bit). My AR multiwrench sucks - or maybe it's just me - but I couldn't get that last little umph out of it. I kept slipping out of the barrel nut, and it's starting to show some strippage. Yeah, I greased it, backed it out and reset like 5 times, still no love.

Anyways, thanks to dwkfym for the parts and advice, and to Cassius for the impetus, and to everyone else for indulging in my project.

Posted On:
    12/14/2013 5:47pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is your RDS so far down?

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    12/14/2013 6:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    Why is your RDS so far down?
    That's a great question for which I don't have a single good answer.

1) I have never shot with an RDS, before - this is new tech, for me. Part of my possibly faulty logic is that being further out along the sight radius will make it more "sensitive." Sighting on little things around the office, TA seems pretty quick, and there doesn't seem to be as much visual "play" with it up there, as compared to when it's closer to the stock.

2) My gas block doesn't provide a continuous evenly spaced rail, though it does provide three additional slots on top, and the RDS is adjustable, so it seemed like an appropriately OCD thing to do

I absolutely knew somebody was going to ask me this, so I took a few minutes to read up on what appears to be another of the AR holy wars. There's a good chance that I'll absolutely hate this on the range, or possibly later down the road when/if I engage in any tactical training courses. But, my initial read indicates (from the more level-headed posters) that this really comes down to ergonomics and personal preference. I'm happy to hear reasoned explanations of why this is a bad idea.

Posted On:
    12/14/2013 6:17pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My. 02

The idea of the RDS is to have as wide a field of view as possible to maintain situational awareness. The further away the the tube is the more you have to focus on placing the tube on the target vs just the dot. The idea is similar to why a heads up display on a jet fighter is right in front of your face vs on the nose of the aircraft.

Ideally the gun should come up with both eyes open and it should seem like there is a red dot floating in unobstructed space.

The dot is just a dot...if there is no parallax the "speed" of dot placement should be a constant.

YMMV
    Last edited by tgace; 12/14/2013 6:22pm at .

Posted On:
    1/09/2014 8:59pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went with a VG6 Precision Epsilon for my muzzle brake. Given that I do not have a barrel yet, I obviously cannot test its functionality. The two things I can comment on:

1.) Fit and finish are excellent. In terms of machining and fit/finish, it is an extremely high quality product. I noticed that griffin armament has already rushed out a silencer compatible competitor to it (think knockoff dynacomp with similar flash hider prongs), so VG6 must be doing something right.

2.) PDS Rifles, as usual, offered great customer service. Bullshido members should not hesitate to order from them. They will take care of you.

Note that this is not a review. The VG6 Epsilon could turn out to be an extremely well machined paperweight. I personally doubt that, but it is always possible. I will let you guys know when I actually get a chance to fire with it. My intent right now is to compare it to an A2 flash hider and possibly 1-2 other comps, but we will see what my attention span is on this issue.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast