10/11/2013 11:55pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Additionally, here were the tools I used:

Included in parts I ordered:
    Proprietary star wrench (BAD-CASS)
    Proprietary hex wrench (KNS pins)
    Proprietary hex wrench (troy ambi bolt release)

Actually necessary for an AR15 build:
    Flat head screwdriver
    vice grips pliers w/painting tape
    needle nose pliers
    3/32" punch
    TAPCO AR Spanner Wrench (to tighten the castle nut)
    Locktite 243 (non permanent)
    Plastic head/non marring hammer

Seriously, it was disappointingly easy to put together an AR lower that crushes 99% of actual military lowers. I wish I had been a bit more careful around the roll pins for the bolt release and trigger guard, but the marring was easily covered up by a concealer pen. The BAD enhanced pin set turned the pivot pin install into an anticlimax, so if you hate that step . . . spend the 25-30 bucks. I think Rainier arms has them too.

For anyone considering optics on a budget, here are two websites I've dug up:

Law Guns randomly gets batches of working mil surplus EOTECHs and Aimpoint CompM2s:
    http://www.law-guns.com/index.aspx

Primary Arms branded optics are an amazing value buy and their customer service has an outstanding reputation:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/default.asp
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Yours truly

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 4:03pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Badass lower! If you are still in the market for an optic, Aimpoint PRO's can be had for less than 400 bucks right now, including mount.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Badass lower! If you are still in the market for an optic, Aimpoint PRO's can be had for less than 400 bucks right now, including mount.
    Thanks. I didn't expect to start building it out so soon. I'm fairly certain I'll be going with an aimpoint pro for my second build, but I think I'm going to eventually do a 1-4x of some variety if I end up getting the 18" upper. We'll see.

Thanks for the email heads up about the sale earlier in the week, by the way. The CAA magazines you sold me earlier in the year fit this lower a little better than any of the pmags or aluminum cheapies I have from work, by the way.
    Last edited by Cassius; 10/12/2013 5:12pm at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 10:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats awesome! Our shop commando runs the mags fine at full auto. It did 300AACBLK no problem also, though we didn't have a properly set up MG lower that could do 300BLK
    Last edited by dwkfym; 10/12/2013 10:38pm at .
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update on my build (pictures later). After several failed attempts at bidding for an upper on Gunbroker.com, I paid the extra $ for a Bravo Company scratch-and-dent. At $99, it's not a bad deal, I guess.

It came (unassembled) with forward assist and ejection port cover. Assembly was a breeze, again the only slowdown was punching in the roll-pin. I guess I'd rather have a tight but somewhat ugly roll-pin than one that falls out all the time. At this point, I wish I'd invested in those roll-pin holder/punch things that Brownell's sells, though.

Cosmetics aside (and this upper is definitely cosmetically damaged), my only complaint is that the takedown pin seems REALLY tight. Like, I need a punch to set/unset it. It's not the bore of the post, though, because it goes in nice and easy if I leave the pivot pin out. To the naked eye, it seems perfect. After several operations, I detected no noticeable wear on either the pin or the bore in the post. I hope that micrometer of misalignment slacks in over time.

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 5:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Update on my build (pictures later). After several failed attempts at bidding for an upper on Gunbroker.com, I paid the extra $ for a Bravo Company scratch-and-dent. At $99, it's not a bad deal, I guess.

It came (unassembled) with forward assist and ejection port cover. Assembly was a breeze, again the only slowdown was punching in the roll-pin. I guess I'd rather have a tight but somewhat ugly roll-pin than one that falls out all the time. At this point, I wish I'd invested in those roll-pin holder/punch things that Brownell's sells, though.

Cosmetics aside (and this upper is definitely cosmetically damaged), my only complaint is that the takedown pin seems REALLY tight. Like, I need a punch to set/unset it. It's not the bore of the post, though, because it goes in nice and easy if I leave the pivot pin out. To the naked eye, it seems perfect. After several operations, I detected no noticeable wear on either the pin or the bore in the post. I hope that micrometer of misalignment slacks in over time.
    Sounds about right RE: Gunbroker. I had a couple issues with roll pins, but I am having a hard time caring.

With the takedown pin, you might try rubbing a miniscule amount of gun grease (I use tetra gun grease because that's what my local gun store had 3 years ago when I bought it) on it and working it in and out a few dozen times. It's worked for me with some of my work guns.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 8:24pm

Style: Mostly mixed-up FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just have to say thanks for this thread - it's got a lot of excellent info in it!

For Cassius, and others stuck in the Democrat Republik of Maryland ("Quiet, citizen, we know what's best"): if you're not on MDShooters, check it out. Mucho good build and other info there.

But this combines firearms with Bullshido attitude - what could be better?

I got a lower in before the frakkin' ban and won't likely be building it out until next year, but I'm damn sure bookmarking this thread.

Gracias, amigos!

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 7:25am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Photo... top half of image shows that I definitely have roll-pin issues. Bottom half shows the cosmetic damage on the BCM upper.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 9:29am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****, I actually won something on gunbroker... Mossberg 16" 5.56 barrel + DPMS flash suppressor.

Posted On:
    11/01/2013 8:49am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Photo... top half of image shows that I definitely have roll-pin issues.
    I wrap the jaws of a set of vice grips with non-mar tape and use those to press roll pins into place....
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast