• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/20/2013 11:22pm

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does this make dwkfmy, our gun addiction co-enabler?

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    8/21/2013 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is going well... This is my first AR. I got most of the lower assembled this morning, and it just clicked for me (no pun intended) during a function check what the purpose of the disconnector is. Learning is fun.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/21/2013 12:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be careful not to drop the hammer when the lower is separated from the upper. You can crack the lower receiver since the hammer will be falling directly on a part of the lower receiver.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    8/21/2013 1:07pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good tip, I have been very careful to not do so, since the hammer in its fully forward position presses pretty hard on the bolt catch - it just looks like it could do damage, so I decided not to try.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    Does this make dwkfmy, our gun addiction co-enabler?
    Yes! Add my company on facebook for the earliest scoop on specials. Oh, also there are always discounts for bullshido members, so let me know if you guys want to get anything!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 11:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    updated pic:

You may be able to see I had a little trouble with the trigger guard roll pin, the starboard side mushroomed on me and I couldn't get it all the way in, I'll probably replace that soon, but it's not a hinderance, just unsightly.

I'm not thrilled with the DPMS LPK, but that could just be my lack of experience talking.

The mag is an el-cheapo Thermold, which I don't intend to use for other than a vise block. Way poor quality on that thing.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The trigger guard pin holes tend to be very tight on most lowers. Some aren't though. The DPMS LPK is your run of the mill cheapo LPK. As long as you can get all the parts in, it is all good. Yours should feel substantially better than in lesser quality lower receivers though.

Unfortunately my shop gun fire control group is going to be even more hodge podge. We'll be buying some surplus (e.g. pulled from decomissioned LE M16A1's) trigger parts to make a select fire rifle. But I don't see the point of getting the whole set for a beater test gun, so we're replacing select parts and keeping the rest. Usually that isn't so good for trigger feel. lol
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 3:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think I apologized for hijacking your thread, Cassius. I'm sorry. But, since I've already started documenting my build here, no reason to move to another thread...

My stock finally came in. $32.99 from PSA for a Knoxx Blackhawk! 6-position mil-spec kit (includes tube, carbine-weight buffer, spring, slap plate, and castle nut). I was a little concerned that it might be poor quality, but I'm quite pleased with it.

My question to dwkfym or the community at large is what buffer weight should I use? I know there are varied opinions out there, as well as other technologies like hydraulics. I'm looking at this build being a 5.56 middy, assuming I stumble into the right barrel at the right price.

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 5:21pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I don't think I apologized for hijacking your thread, Cassius. I'm sorry. But, since I've already started documenting my build here, no reason to move to another thread...

My stock finally came in. $32.99 from PSA for a Knoxx Blackhawk! 6-position mil-spec kit (includes tube, carbine-weight buffer, spring, slap plate, and castle nut). I was a little concerned that it might be poor quality, but I'm quite pleased with it.

My question to dwkfym or the community at large is what buffer weight should I use? I know there are varied opinions out there, as well as other technologies like hydraulics. I'm looking at this build being a 5.56 middy, assuming I stumble into the right barrel at the right price.
    I don't actually mind at all. I'm not planning on building out either rifle in the next 6 months, so I am happy to see other people using the thread.

As for the buffer weight question: Assuming you are planning on going with 16 or under and aren't going to be shooting extremely light or extremely heavy loads, I would suggest just using what came in the Blackhawk kit. I know people who have used oddball stuff like H2 and 9mm buffers to supposedly reduce recoil, but I personally wouldn't mess with the buffer you got with your kit unless:

1.) Your rifle isn't feeding or ejecting properly and you rule out the other common causes for this problem. It is fairly easy to trace this problem back to your buffer/spring setup. Just google "ar15 buffer not feeding (or ejecting)" and you will find about a billion threads and youtube videos on the subject.

2.) You find the recoil of your AR15 to be intolerable. This is highly unlikely, since you are building a 5.56 AR. If you do happen to find this to be the case, please message me. I will gladly send you my mailing address so you can ship your AR15 to me along with your man card.

3.) You get a lot of experience with your weapon and decide to start tinkering with it for optimization purposes. Nothing wrong with this, but it doesn't mean you should immediately purchase a crazy buffer/spring setup since yours is already perfectly functional.

On to the topic of hydraulic buffers: They have their uses (almost entirely related to reducing weight while still allowing you to fire full auto reliably), and were all the rage for a bit. Bottom line: unless you are planning on making a full auto AR, I don't recommend you bother. Even if you were to make a full auto AR, a standard buffer/spring combo would most likely be more reliable.

So that's my advice on buffers. I am normally a pretty plain jane type gun person, but I did buy the above ARs to tinker around with, so I can't say I'd blame you for trying something a little more interesting than standard carbine buffer/spring.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 5:37pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My. 02....if you have a 16" barrel/carbine length gas system start out with an M16 carrier and an H buffer.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast