Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trigger Reset Discussion

Your assignment: Read the article so we can all have a big, silly argument. Trigger reset - uber important or total waste of time?

http://blog.beretta.com/trigger-rese...aste-your-time

On your mark, get set, GO!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After 40+ years of shooting various firearms, the issue of "trigger reset" hasn't ever come up with me. I know what it is, and have for a long time. So apparently the non-issue for me is that I've shot a lot different firearms over the years.

I did have to instruct my kids to release the trigger "all the way" after shooting a round. But that was all it took, and a little practice, and they did it.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a ridiculously fine motor skill to be worrying about in a life-and-death situation. Quicker follow-up shots? Has the claimant ever fired a handgun? Has anybody ever had to wait for their finger to catch up to the sear to get a shot off? No they have not, the firearm is in recoil for plenty of time to fully release and reset the trigger finger, never mind the time spent reacquiring the sights. Anybody can pull the trigger faster than they can aim, the trick is to recover faster.
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    After 40+ years of shooting various firearms, the issue of "trigger reset" hasn't ever come up with me. I know what it is, and have for a long time. So apparently the non-issue for me is that I've shot a lot different firearms over the years.

I did have to instruct my kids to release the trigger "all the way" after shooting a round. But that was all it took, and a little practice, and they did it.
    Just to make sure we're on the same page - the article isn't about the importance of releasing the trigger all the way to ensure it resets. It's about ensuring you only release the trigger just far enough to allow it to reset. So, intentionally NOT allowing the trigger to return as far forward as it will go.

For the record, I believe you instructed your kids correctly. I'm in agreement with the author.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Sounds like a ridiculously fine motor skill to be worrying about in a life-and-death situation.
    Yes. But every gun ninja and their brother are now going on about trigger reset as if it is a super crucial fundamental of pistol shooting.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Just to make sure we're on the same page - the article isn't about the importance of releasing the trigger all the way to ensure it resets. It's about ensuring you only release the trigger just far enough to allow it to reset. So, intentionally NOT allowing the trigger to return as far forward as it will go.

For the record, I believe you instructed your kids correctly. I'm in agreement with the author.
    I think it would take a pretty damned good trigger for that to be consistent. Unlike most types of pistols used for self defense applications.

Adrenaline dump and all, even with a lot of realistic training, no need for such fine control of course. We are just trying to hit center mass, right ?

This reminds me of a lot of MA training, even in Judo, tiny details that are overridden by the fact that a live, resisting opponent is on the other end of the technique.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. But every gun ninja and their brother are now going on about trigger reset as if it is a super crucial fundamental of pistol shooting.
    LOL, reminds me of all the CMA "internal" stuff we have been hashing over recently...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a surprising amount of t3h d34d!33 in the shooting community.

The reality of pistol shooting: the range is going to be less than 20 feet, and probably less than 10 feet, or you have the wrong weapon and/or should be running. At ten feet or less, you're slapping the trigger at flashes of sight pictures. Your target is a 8-10" circle at center mass, where one hit is as good as the next (heart, spine, pulmonary arteries and veins, pacemaker tissue, etc), so finer precision is needlessly slowing your shots. It's a wrestling match between you and recoil. Maintaining a rhythm is more important than any detail of the trigger pull.

IIRC, over half of gunfights take place at contact range, kicking distance. Trigger reset? ****, point at his chest and make it go bang until he stops moving.

IMO
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I think it would take a pretty damned good trigger for that to be consistent. Unlike most types of pistols used for self defense applications.

Adrenaline dump and all, even with a lot of realistic training, no need for such fine control of course. We are just trying to hit center mass, right ?

This reminds me of a lot of MA training, even in Judo, tiny details that are overridden by the fact that a live, resisting opponent is on the other end of the technique.
    To be fair, Glocks and many other modern combat pistols have a trigger reset that is easy to discern, audibly and tactilely (is that a word?) I still think it's a bit much to expect to be able to focus on it in a gunfight.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    There's a surprising amount of t3h d34d!33 in the shooting community.

The reality of pistol shooting: the range is going to be less than 20 feet, and probably less than 10 feet, or you have the wrong weapon and/or should be running. At ten feet or less, you're slapping the trigger at flashes of sight pictures. Your target is a 8-10" circle at center mass, where one hit is as good as the next (heart, spine, pulmonary arteries and veins, pacemaker tissue, etc), so finer precision is needlessly slowing your shots. It's a wrestling match between you and recoil. Maintaining a rhythm is more important than any detail of the trigger pull.

IIRC, over half of gunfights take place at contact range, kicking distance. Trigger reset? ****, point at his chest and make it go bang until he stops moving.

IMO
    I think there are tons of parallels between the defensive shooting crowd and clueless martial artists who think they can pull off all sorts of intricate movements in an adrenaline state.

I don't necessarily agree fully with the sentiment of blasting a target and hoping you eventually hit a vital area. Rounds on target as fast as possible. Sure. But for me all shooting, defensive and otherwise will always begin and end with accuracy. That's the Marine in me, I guess. Obviously accuracy means something different in a gunfight than it does at the range but as much accuracy as possible given the situation should be the goal. In my mind, if my shots are half as fast as yours, but you're spraying and praying, I can live with that if my first one is through your heart.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last