Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/30/2014 8:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recommend a 1911 for me.

Bills are paid, the kids football crap is nil, we signed a new contract at work and I get a nice bonus. I know I said "AR-15" or an "AK," but I've always wanted a 1911.

Sig has a promotion for a free pistol bag and two extra magazines. Just want a nice quality 1911.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2014 8:08pm

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The classic government model is a work of beauty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2014 8:35pm

Style: Western Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Need to know what you will use the 45 for? concealed carry,home defense and or target shooting. Springfield has a excellent package in their XPDS model 3.5 45. besides a very good pistol.Two extra mags with mag holder, pistol hoslter and nice box to hold them all. Lots of choices out there, hard to go long a long established company. More info please?

Posted On:
    7/30/2014 9:37pm

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "it" 1911 manufacturer is Kimber. They'll sell you a pistol that will shoot well out of the box, and it will likely be 20-40% more expensive then a basic 1911.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/30/2014 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a Kimber and a Sig Sauer 1911 and they both shoot really well; the Sig was $600 less than the Kimber. The quality is there with either one. My Sig was around $900 and my Kimber was $1,700, so Mr. Browning is spot-on.

Sig did have a really great promotion where they gave you the .22 lr version when you purchase the .45 acp.

Several of the guys I worked with went to the Wilson Combat 1911. They really seem to love them, but I'm not down with spending $2,500 - $3,000 for a pistol.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 7:50am

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, you can literally drop $2.5K on a custom 1911. Unless you make your living target shooting, a working pistol is not worth that.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 9:30am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been window shopping for 1911s for about a year and a half now. Currently, the only two pistols I own are a glock 19 and a Ruger MkIII 22/45, and I want to add a full size 1911 to that. I have shot a ton of high end 1911s (the best being a fully custom Nighthawk retailing for around $3500 in 2007), but not a lot of lower end stuff. Based on my test firing, interweb reviews, and forum chatter, the four that I would recommend as best quality/cost are as follows:

Primarily for range duty:
    1.) Springfield Range Officer
    2.) Kimber Custom Target II

Primarily for "tactical" (or carry if you are a big feller) use:
    1.) Springfield Loaded
    2.) Kimber Custom II

All four are very accurate, very reliable, well fitted, have excellent features without a lot of expensive and probably unecessary work, maintain a classic 1911 look (and don't have a bunch of tacky space gun looking cuts on them), and are all under $1000. I personally think the Springfield models I have listed are a little better quality than the Kimbers, but your mileage may vary. The Springfield Range Officer, which I will be purchasing in the next year or so, can be found regularly for around $699. It has the features I want (forged slide and frame, lowered and flared ejection port, match grade barrel, target sights, effective texturing and slide cuts, etc), and doesn't have excessive work done to it. Meaning I can pay a reasonable price out the door for a very classic 1911 look, shoot the hell out of it, and decide what I want to mod on it. The mods I currently have in mind for it are to have it professionaly de-burred, replace some of the MIM* parts with forged ones, possibly get a trigger job done, and possibly have the frame and slide melonited (or Robar, etc).

If you don't want something in that price range, I'd recommend something from Rock Island, Girsan, or Metro Arms. The issue you'll run into on those is that even if the slides are forged, most models offered in the $300-$500 range have alloy frames, which make modifications difficult for a lot of gunsmiths. They also have MIM internals (and some models have MIM slide and frame) They also sometimes have proprietary grip mounts, so you'll have a limited selection of grips unless you mod the frame or grips.

If you are willing to spend a lot more more than $1000, you can have your pick of custom manufacturers that will do an amazing job. Based on what I've fired in the past, I'd recommend something from Dan Wesson (CZ custom shop), Nighthawk Custom, Wilson Combat, or Ed Brown. All amazing firearms. Just be aware that with custom manufacturers, the increase in cost is going to be exponential for marginal increase in quality over the sub-$1000 models I recommended. The tighter tolerances that custom 1911s run CAN also hinder reliability with lower quality and/or defensive ammunition.

If you're looking for a carry piece, you're probably going to want to size down to the Commander profile, but I have done zero research on those since Maryland hates freedom and doesn't allow concealed carry.

*MIM = Machine Injection Molding. A much cheaper process than forging or billeting. Assuming you are dealing with good manufacturing processes and QC, these parts aren't necessarily lower quality than forged parts, but you can have issues with budget manufacturers.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 9:43am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot to add: There are a lot of great options at around $1500. To me, $1500 is right about the sweet spot where you can get an amazing 1911 that you probably won't have to do anything to. They are basically the 95% solution. That last 5% will cost you, though. To get much better in quality past that, you're going to have to spend $2500-$5000.

My favorites at that price range are the Springfield TRP/Trophy Match and Kimber Gold Medal/Tactical Custom, but I would probably still rather get the lower level models I recommended in my previous post and spend the extra $700-$800 having them modded to my liking. That's because I'm a tinkerer. If you're not a tinkerer and you have the money, you should probably just spend the extra money to get that sexy 1911 you know you really want.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 10:38am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love 1911s. This is a hard question for me. There are so many good ones and so much depends on personal preference and your price range. I personally prefer full sized 1911s with steel frames. Not that there's anything wrong with Kimbers and the like. I'm just a steel man. I prefer series 70 pistols or designs like Springfields which are very similar to series 70 pistols. I think you get a slightly better trigger pull with those and trigger pull is important to me.

There are certain other characteristics I like. I like a big beefy thumb safety. I like night sights on all my pistols. I like a beavertail grip safety.

If I had a shitload of money to spend I'd go with one of the high end custom 1911s suggested earlier in the thread. They're all nice.

If I wanted to be in the $1,000 range I might go with a Colt Series 70 Government even though it doesn't have all the features I prefer. If I wanted to be closer to the $600-$700 range I'd probably go with one of the Springfields.

I also may give you a different answer tomorrow. There are so many good ones. I could have 20 1911s and not get tired of them.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 10:42am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, forgot you mentioned Sig. Like them too. If they've got what you think you'd like I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sig.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast