Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 3:13am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm more concerned by this idea of drafting people into existing teams to close out brackets, as I think it would affect a lot more people directly than the more high level shenanigans.

Can you tell me, has it happened to other people? E.G. they sign up, get told they're now part of some team, and that they can't fight the members of their new team. Is this actually a regular occurrence? Can you find people who would back you up on this?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 5:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It happens BEFORE the tournament. They absorb your team directly before you even hit the mats. They own your team once you're "properly affiliated".

Lets take an example like Team Lloyd Irvin. Me and my guys go to worlds. Instead of repping my squad, I would rep TLI, whether I trained with them or not. So if we were to win, TLI would take credit instead of the actual team that one. If we didn't join TLI or some such, we'd be banned.

If you're already owned by the IBJJF, you're good.
    Last edited by The Villain; 8/15/2013 5:17am at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 5:18am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Problem is, the IBJJF doesn't pay you to take control of your team/business. YOU pay THEM and lose control of your assets.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 5:31am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To clarify further, entry requires that you either join or purchase a franchise. If you're NOT a franchise school, you're out. Period. So if you run your own business, but want to compete, you're screwed. If you train with an independent instructor, and wish to have your ranks recognized and move up accordingly, you're screwed. They'll take your belt right off you right there at the tournament if you're not "affiliated correctly". If someone offers you a promotion while you're training outside of the IBJJF, you're screwed. Its a predatory company.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 8:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm trying to get my head around this, and where it goes crazy, by comparing it to a similar sport that i know, judo...

it seems normal for competitors and schools to be required to be members of a regulatory organization (here in the US a dojo needs to be a member of USJF/USJA and USA Judo to be able to send competitors to competitions.) this seems to be an insurance thing for the most part and perhaps about quality control of instruction, and the membership fees are relatively low for the competitor (not entirely sure about the costs of membership for the dojo.) however this is *not* a franchise situation and it doesn't assign the wins from a small team to a larger one.

in judo, a competitor with a black belt that is recognized by the NGB can compete in any event regardless of dojo affiliation. to deny a *legitimately ranked* competitor based on affiliation or lack of affiliation seems transparently biased and designed to drive profits only.

in judo, a properly ranked instructor can register a dojo with the NGB, and enter his students in competitions, there is no requirement to be a part of a larger dojo. there is no expectation that competitors will step aside for other competitors (although it does happen, this is up to the competitors and their coaches.)

i have to say, that from the perspective of a judo practitioner, this IBJJF business seems very off to me, i would love to hear their explanations of these policies.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 9:47am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ostensibly, BJJ operates off a similar system. However, they have controls in place to insure that you can't actually proceed through the registration procedures. Had they not reneged on the promotion, I'd have been able to register my academy properly, for the stated cost. So they withheld the promotion to see to it that I'd have to be under them or that my academy would be under them. Orders straight from Carlos Gracie Jr. to freeze my rank until I purchased a franchise. If you have the rank, but your instructor doesn't pay them, your belt can be stripped. Look up the Sam Osman incident. Two legitimate black belts, but one was stripped of his rank to punish his instructor's business decisions. The associations, under orders from the IBJJF, have frozen entire countries to enforce payment and control and leeched off of the gyms revenue, taking cuts for each enrolled student. Its global thievery. The IBJJF in collusion with the major associations. Barra (RIP), Alliance, BTT, etc. A passive income in return for no goods and services at all. These parasites take the earnings and status of many legitimate business, competitors and students of the art.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 10:10am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've experienced this exact same bias but not on the level we are talking about here. I just didn't give a rats ass if the IBJJF wanted to observe my school or rank. Just don't call it an open tournament.

The great thing about this thread is that it allows people to understand the propaganda that's being spouted out there. Unfortunately most people find it easier to just go with the sheep than to stand up against an injustice.

Posted On:
    8/16/2013 8:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they didn't strip you of your *brown belt* rank, did they? if that's correct then i assume you are free to do the following:

* win every available IBJJF tournament at the brown belt level. if there are complaints from competitors, then you can loudly proclaim that the IBJJF is free to recognize your rank and/or let you compete at black belt. (if they stripped your brown belt too, then keep going down all the way to white. yes it would be some terrible sandbagging, but the IBJJF are the ones not recognizing your rank, it's their fault and it makes them look bad.)

* enter all truly open gi grappling tournaments at the black belt level (AFAIK most would allow you to compete up a rank.)

* enter no-gi open tournaments at the expert level. showcase your skills. embarrass those who "outrank" you.

if you were to do that, win regularly, and continue to loudly and publicly talk about your belt fiasco experiences, it seems that it would be hard for the IBJJF to not clean house. your competition record can showcase your skills and it seems like there are enough competitions outside of their "franchise club" that you should be able to amass some serious evidence.

i may be missing some piece of this puzzle, but it seems that this is your only course of action if you want to work to clean up your sport.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/16/2013 9:38am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    they didn't strip you of your *brown belt* rank, did they? if that's correct then i assume you are free to do the following:

* win every available IBJJF tournament at the brown belt level. if there are complaints from competitors, then you can loudly proclaim that the IBJJF is free to recognize your rank and/or let you compete at black belt. (if they stripped your brown belt too, then keep going down all the way to white. yes it would be some terrible sandbagging, but the IBJJF are the ones not recognizing your rank, it's their fault and it makes them look bad.)

* enter all truly open gi grappling tournaments at the black belt level (AFAIK most would allow you to compete up a rank.)

* enter no-gi open tournaments at the expert level. showcase your skills. embarrass those who "outrank" you.

if you were to do that, win regularly, and continue to loudly and publicly talk about your belt fiasco experiences, it seems that it would be hard for the IBJJF to not clean house. your competition record can showcase your skills and it seems like there are enough competitions outside of their "franchise club" that you should be able to amass some serious evidence.

i may be missing some piece of this puzzle, but it seems that this is your only course of action if you want to work to clean up your sport.
    Actually the first isn't possible either. You still have to be registered IBJJF affiliate to compete in their brown belt division.

Posted On:
    8/16/2013 9:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Actually the first isn't possible either. You still have to be registered IBJJF affiliate to compete in their brown belt division.
    ok so can he compete at purple? my point remains the same, if he competes at the highest belt they recognize, and wins over and over, they should have to let him compete at brown or black. to every pissed off coach and competitor, his response can be the same "take it up with the IBJJF, they won't let me compete at a higher rank"
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast