Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 10:48pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Balancing Judo and Boxing Training

This is going to sound really dumb but I honestly can't figure out a good answer for myself.

Is it better to train striking and grappling on separate days or is it better to do both on the same day?

In my situation, I have a boxing gym right across from my judo school and want to get an amateur boxing match this year. Should I train for boxing for 1 hour and then go to judo for 1 hour everyday? Or is it better to go to boxing for 2 hours one day and the next day go to judo for 2 hours? It seems like a silly question but I don't know which is more conducive to learning both.

I feel like training at least three days a week in judo can make you competent enough to compete. I don't feel that way about boxing though. I want to compete in both sports as much as I can. Am I over thinking this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 1:24am

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Making just 3 classes a week requires discipline and commitment, let alone hitting the dojo daily. I think you're over thinking it, but I'd personally prefer doing Judo and Boxing on separate days.

Say you spend 15 minutes warm-up before each class. If you go daily, you'll spend 15 warming up, 45 boxing, then 15 warming up again, then 45 throwing. On the other hand, you can spend 15 minutes warming up, and spend 105 minutes boxing/throwing. Not to mention it'd be more convenient without having to cross the street everyday.

However, the main thing is to not get burned out. Keeping up with a daily workout schedule is extremely tough both physically and mentally. Generally speaking, you want to give your body at least a full day of rest in between each workout. Trying to train for differing competitions daily is something even a young scrapper like me wouldn't dare to do, due to risk of injury. Now I'm sure there are many professionals who can do that, but unfortunately, we're not at their level.

Anyhow, best of luck with your training!

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 1:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would do them on a separate day since they are at different places and your not specifically integrating Boxing w/ the Judo. There is an awful lot of information for you to absorb for both sports no need to confuse yourself by trying to cram it all in on the same day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 6:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd prioritize one or the other, if you want a boxing fight, mostly box with a bit of judo for cross training for example.

The more important question I think is what do the respective coaches think? I'm not sure the boxing coach will be keen to get you a fight if they think you're not putting in the required effort due to 'excessive' cross training.

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 5:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met a guy who wanted to do a boxing match. He was doing bjj also. He decided that during the camp leading to the boxing match he was going to roll for conditioning. He wound up with a common bjj injury to the knee, and as such was unable to box.

Point is....if you plan on participating in a boxing match. You should cease the Judo. There is no point in practicing throws and set ups, when your opponent is only going to throw punches, and thats all your allowed to do.

Conditioning is conditioning. But Judo and Boxing are different sports, and if you have aspirations to fight at the amateur boxing level, Judo is not where you should be harnessing your skill set.

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 9:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had a mate who wanted to box but also did mma mostly to help train up another guy and so did both.

End result golden gloves.

Anyway I would train every day for a limited time rather than do big blocks and miss days.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 2:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Goodlun. If you can do both Judo and Boxing on the same day at the intensity that each discipline demands, then you sir, may be a genius.

Doing both will not hasten your development in either and unless you can separate them out in your Mind, you may only impede your progress. Each has its Learning Curve and you need time to assimilate the lessons and make them part of yourself.

By all means do both as they will complement each other in Real Life or MMA. Take it as it comes and learn at your own rate.

Two phrases to keep in Mind:

"By the inch, it's a cinch,
    By the yard, it's hard".

"The years teach what the days never know".

Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 12:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's ambitious to train both Judo and Boxing at the same time. Both are great arts but very tough, and they will both take their toll on you no matter how young and strong you may be.

Having said that, it's a great combination of styles, both for self defense purposes and for general physical training, as they complement each other very well. As it happens, I cross train judo and boxing myself : )

As for your question, I'd schedule the classes on separate days if at all practically possible, because whichever class is last will otherwise suffer. One option you may want to consider is to focus on one art at a time and train, say, 4+1 days a week in the two, or even dedicate all your training to one sport at the time (in my experience, that would include giving an additional day to long-distance running for boxing alternatively one day to weight lifting for judo). It's probably VERY tough to work your way up to serious competition mode in those two sports at the same time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 11:25pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nevermind guys. I found a Daido Juku gym. Now I have a place where my gi clinch will meld with my striking. I will still train straight up judo twice a week at my old gym and will compete if a judo tournament comes up but my main focus now is going to be space helmet fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 4:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys i have a similar question to op, didn't want to start a new thread as it's so similar but...

Basically I have just signed up to a bjj club near me and it's my goal to compete in bjj only not mma. However I do like and want to keep doing Thai boxing so my striking doesn't go down the pan. Im thinking of training 4 times per week, I can't really decide whether I want to train 2 sessions bjj and 2 Thai or 3 bjj and 1 Thai boxing. My tech ique for strikes is decent as I've done Thai boxing on and off for years but now want to do more grappling.

If this doesn't make sense I apologize in advance!

Cheers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast