My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 9:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by charmin View Post
    Just for reference, this is unlikely to be one of the 'non-competitive' clubs as it's part of the BJA which is the Olympic judo association in the UK.
    yeah, I checked out the website, should be fairly strenuous, LOL.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 10:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're transitioning out of Aikido, I'd highly recommend only training at one club for the time being. Try both judo and the Straight Blast Gym. They should both be solid options for you and your girlfriend, so if after trying both you prefer one, just go there.

Training multiple arts is much easier when they're under one roof. If they're at different gyms I'd say it's not worth it at this stage of your training.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok guys, I have clear ideas now. I took the Judo class. It was awesome. It was pure hell.

I think that the 1.5 hours training that I did tonight are a rough equivalent of 1 month of what I was doing in Aikido. Also, now I realise that Aikido is to Judo like tri-cycling is to mountain biking.

We started the lesson with a nice warm up, stretching, cardio, push aps, standard stuff but vigorous. Then we went to paired practice trying the entry(?) for the move. We did two techniques of which I have no idea of the names as they were not mentioned - will look them up later, anyway it was a leg sweep and something extremely similar to koshi nage but without extending the uke's arm.

After that we went to throw practicing, switching sides once in a while. After that ground work. Again standing practice and again ground work. Then we started Randori.

I had no idea what I was doing, tried to follow the flow, resist, practice the two throws and improvise totally on the ground. I must say I have managed several times to get a nice dominant position only to freeze because I didn't have an idea what to do next :) It was very cool.

Randori went ok, I managed to get in a couple of throws (was paired with white belt) but they were definitely desperate and forceful attempts.

Then, to my surprise, we did 3 minute boxing. I've never done boxing so no head shots, I paired with another guy who didn't have a clue and we got at it. It was fun and exhausting. I managed to get several shots on his sides, he managed to enter my guard and fill me with punches to my stomach.

Then, we did 3 minutes wrestling. Wtf? I have no idea how to wrestle and got paired with the biggest, meanest guy in the class. Boy the pain, he was able to throw me around like a doll! After I realised there was no way I could get him down by waist I went for the legs and tried to not get caught. Surprisingly I managed to slip away several times, he probably go irritated and we ended up on a mat in a wild tangle, I got slightly hit in my upper lip (inadvertently) and the same for him (have no idea what I did). He didn't speak to me after that. I'd say that's a nice beginning :D

After that I passed over the Judo round as I was literally exhausted, went for the boxing one, started to learn how to throw jabs and keep guard. I skipped the second round of wrestling (everybody was paired already and I needed rest anyway) and had a go at the last Judo round. Against white belt, it went nicely but it's fucking hard to throw people! Aiki my ass.

For dessert we did a nice cool down, concentration, breathing and muscle relaxation.

I enjoyed the class thoroughly but was CONSTANTLY out of breath. We did water breaks and I used any second available to try to breath deeply. It was absolutely exhausting, I have never trained so hard in my life.

I feel now I have started to play with the big boys :D

Got my protein drink, energy bar and hopped on my bike to do my 5 miles ride home. The pain started. Right side, sharp, quite strong. I barely made it home, every bump was an agony. I have to research why and how to avoid this! Fortunately once home when taking shower and deep breaths the pain went away and I feel ok now. I feel every muscle in my body and believe tomorrow its gonna be hard to get up.

I must say I wasn't expecting this level of intensity but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Every minute spent on the mat was worthwhile and there were no dead pauses, talking or fooling around.

It was deep water straight away, the coach didn't ask me anything, just kept an eye and nodded from time to time if I was ok.

I'm definitely not starting anything at the moment as with this intensity I simply need every ounce of energy to make it through the class. The reassuring thing is that I wasn't the only one to take brakes, same did a a black belt guy and a 20 year old white belt and a couple of others. It's not entirely me then!

Anyway, thank you all for the advice, it's gonna be only hardcore Judo for now, daily stretching and definitely some weights on weekends as my core body needs lots of improvement.

Ah did I say that Judo is awsome? :D

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 7:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargor View Post
    Ok guys, I have clear ideas now. I took the Judo class. It was awesome. It was pure hell.

I think that the 1.5 hours training that I did tonight are a rough equivalent of 1 month of what I was doing in Aikido. Also, now I realise that Aikido is to Judo like tri-cycling is to mountain biking.

We started the lesson with a nice warm up, stretching, cardio, push aps, standard stuff but vigorous. Then we went to paired practice trying the entry(?) for the move. We did two techniques of which I have no idea of the names as they were not mentioned - will look them up later, anyway it was a leg sweep and something extremely similar to koshi nage but without extending the uke's arm.

After that we went to throw practicing, switching sides once in a while. After that ground work. Again standing practice and again ground work. Then we started Randori.

I had no idea what I was doing, tried to follow the flow, resist, practice the two throws and improvise totally on the ground. I must say I have managed several times to get a nice dominant position only to freeze because I didn't have an idea what to do next :) It was very cool.

Randori went ok, I managed to get in a couple of throws (was paired with white belt) but they were definitely desperate and forceful attempts.

Then, to my surprise, we did 3 minute boxing. I've never done boxing so no head shots, I paired with another guy who didn't have a clue and we got at it. It was fun and exhausting. I managed to get several shots on his sides, he managed to enter my guard and fill me with punches to my stomach.

Then, we did 3 minutes wrestling. Wtf? I have no idea how to wrestle and got paired with the biggest, meanest guy in the class. Boy the pain, he was able to throw me around like a doll! After I realised there was no way I could get him down by waist I went for the legs and tried to not get caught. Surprisingly I managed to slip away several times, he probably go irritated and we ended up on a mat in a wild tangle, I got slightly hit in my upper lip (inadvertently) and the same for him (have no idea what I did). He didn't speak to me after that. I'd say that's a nice beginning :D

After that I passed over the Judo round as I was literally exhausted, went for the boxing one, started to learn how to throw jabs and keep guard. I skipped the second round of wrestling (everybody was paired already and I needed rest anyway) and had a go at the last Judo round. Against white belt, it went nicely but it's fucking hard to throw people! Aiki my ass.

For dessert we did a nice cool down, concentration, breathing and muscle relaxation.

I enjoyed the class thoroughly but was CONSTANTLY out of breath. We did water breaks and I used any second available to try to breath deeply. It was absolutely exhausting, I have never trained so hard in my life.

I feel now I have started to play with the big boys :D

Got my protein drink, energy bar and hopped on my bike to do my 5 miles ride home. The pain started. Right side, sharp, quite strong. I barely made it home, every bump was an agony. I have to research why and how to avoid this! Fortunately once home when taking shower and deep breaths the pain went away and I feel ok now. I feel every muscle in my body and believe tomorrow its gonna be hard to get up.

I must say I wasn't expecting this level of intensity but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Every minute spent on the mat was worthwhile and there were no dead pauses, talking or fooling around.

It was deep water straight away, the coach didn't ask me anything, just kept an eye and nodded from time to time if I was ok.

I'm definitely not starting anything at the moment as with this intensity I simply need every ounce of energy to make it through the class. The reassuring thing is that I wasn't the only one to take brakes, same did a a black belt guy and a 20 year old white belt and a couple of others. It's not entirely me then!

Anyway, thank you all for the advice, it's gonna be only hardcore Judo for now, daily stretching and definitely some weights on weekends as my core body needs lots of improvement.

Ah did I say that Judo is awsome? :D
    Another convert, soon, we will rule the world!

(Note, odd expression due to multiple concussions suffered via Judo training, don't say you were not warned).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 10:52pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Another convert, soon, we will rule the world!

(Note, odd expression due to multiple concussions suffered via Judo training, don't say you were not warned).
    Watch out for your knees too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2013 3:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    I will try as much as I can do - on this point, do you recon knee wraps could help to protect them a bit?

Posted On:
    8/14/2013 11:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Knees...Oh yeah! Knees ! Keep them flexed and stay on the balls of your feet.

Posted On:
    8/14/2013 11:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will try as much as I can do - on this point, do you recon knee wraps could help to protect them a bit?
    Stay on the balls of your feet and keep your knees flexed. Take the ukemi when you get caught...it's different than aikido in that in Judo as we do a lot of ashi waza.

Knee wraps...you have some sort of preexisting knee issues? If they make you feel better, wear them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2013 1:01pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have one preexisting condition and one from judo, I wear basic compression braces but its really just a mental thing as they pretty much just keep my knee warm.

Also judo will do wonders for your cardio, but you wont realize it till you go vacation for a week or two and then wonder why the hell everything is 3 times harder then when you left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2013 6:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok guys, 3rd lesson went through, my cardio is improving, my muscles hurt like hell and I now know how it feels to get choked :D

I'm starting to learn the ground work and trying to make work a couple of leg sweeps + seoi nage.

My only concern is that in 3 lessons not once did we do any ukemi - I have not been thrown around yet asides once by my instructor in Randori and he was very gently yet I'm a bit afraid about not training ukemi.

My 4 years of Aikido do serve me well and I'm quite confident on breakfalling (proper, not rolling away) but still I would like to practice in a Judo-compatible fashion.

In your experience, is this normal? We did not do any throws that actually require any breakfalls (apart seoi nage) so maybe this is why no ukemi practice?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast