Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 5:58am

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Balancing training days: Judo + ?

Hi guys, I need your advice on my training schedule.

I have been doing Aikido for 4 years, quite intensely but I finally realised that I want to do something more alive.

Judo seems like a natural transition, looks fun and I hope at least to transfer some ukemi knowledge so that's one.

In addition to that, I have the possibility to train here: http://www.sbgmainline.com/

It looks like a great place and they do MMA/Boxing/Muay Thai/BJJ

Considering this schedule:
    Monday: ???
    Tuesday: Judo
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: Judo
    Friday: ???
    Weekend: rest

What would you advise for starters: plain boxing, some kicks, BJJ to integrate Judo? I just want to have a better idea before contacting these guys. I have no previous striking experience, my goal is fitness, SD and fun - I'm not into any serious competition but I think I would definitely enjoy sparring.
    I'm 34, no injuries/conditions, 6.1" tall, lean and with good flexibility and decent cardio conditioning.

Final note, I have managed to convince my GF to come with me, she has no previous MA experience but quite aggressive spirit so I'm also thinking something that we could both get involved in together - that's why I'm leaning towards striking of some kind.

I know in the end it's gonna be my personal choice but I wanted to here the voice of experience :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 11:38am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are doing judo hold off on the bjj till later down the road. A lot of the basic judo ground work is the same as the basic bjj stuff (big suprise I know). There are a few differences technique wise and focus wise (judo will probably have you focus more on pinning basics while bjj will incorporate more technical guard work) but for now you only need one.

I have never been a striker no I can not comment on that but have you considered simply sticking with one art for a while? Judo has a pretty steep learning curve and getting even the most basic throws down takes a while. Add to that trying to learn a striking art and you have a hell of a lot to take in and process each week.

Your overall development might be faster if you just do judo for 6 months to a year before looking to develop striking. That way you have a working knowledge of basic judo and are less likely to get information overload.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 12:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    If you are doing judo hold off on the bjj till later down the road. A lot of the basic judo ground work is the same as the basic bjj stuff (big suprise I know). There are a few differences technique wise and focus wise (judo will probably have you focus more on pinning basics while bjj will incorporate more technical guard work) but for now you only need one.

I have never been a striker no I can not comment on that but have you considered simply sticking with one art for a while? Judo has a pretty steep learning curve and getting even the most basic throws down takes a while. Add to that trying to learn a striking art and you have a hell of a lot to take in and process each week.

Your overall development might be faster if you just do judo for 6 months to a year before looking to develop striking. That way you have a working knowledge of basic judo and are less likely to get information overload.
    Thank you for the advice on BJJ, that gets my ideas clearer. Regarding training besides Judo, the fact is that I can only train Judo twice a week due to club distances so I won't be able to throw in more effort on that side. I am also leaning towards striking because:

1) It has different principles so it shouldn't interfere as much with Judo
    2) I have managed to convince my girlfriend to get to the gym and it is an opportunity I cannot pass :)

I will be keeping a training log to keep my ideas organised, any case if I see that cross-training is stalling my progression I will then favor Judo. I also hope that at least my Aikido ukemi will help me getting a (little) head start in Judo. I was fortunate enough to train in a Dojo which favoured Koshi Nage throws - this allowed me to train breakfalls with some energy in them.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 1:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargor View Post

Hi guys, I need your advice on my training schedule.

I have been doing Aikido for 4 years, quite intensely but I finally realised that I want to do something more alive.

Judo seems like a natural transition, looks fun and I hope at least to transfer some ukemi knowledge so that's one.

In addition to that, I have the possibility to train here: http://www.sbgmainline.com/

It looks like a great place and they do MMA/Boxing/Muay Thai/BJJ

Considering this schedule:
    Monday: ???
    Tuesday: Judo
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: Judo
    Friday: ???
    Weekend: rest

What would you advise for starters: plain boxing, some kicks, BJJ to integrate Judo? I just want to have a better idea before contacting these guys. I have no previous striking experience, my goal is fitness, SD and fun - I'm not into any serious competition but I think I would definitely enjoy sparring.
    I'm 34, no injuries/conditions, 6.1" tall, lean and with good flexibility and decent cardio conditioning.

Final note, I have managed to convince my GF to come with me, she has no previous MA experience but quite aggressive spirit so I'm also thinking something that we could both get involved in together - that's why I'm leaning towards striking of some kind.

I know in the end it's gonna be my personal choice but I wanted to here the voice of experience :)
    If I were you, I'd find a good judo dojo, get used to the higher level of contact, then branch out to the MMA/BJJ/etc stuff. See how you like Judo (which will have the groundwork/ne waza,and competition/randori/sparring aspect of BJJ, MMA, etc.).

You will take some time to get used to the Judo, and depending on the dojo the etiquette will be more familiar but far less formal more than likely than Aikido.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 1:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the advice on BJJ, that gets my ideas clearer. Regarding training besides Judo, the fact is that I can only train Judo twice a week due to club distances so I won't be able to throw in more effort on that side. I am also leaning towards striking because:

1) It has different principles so it shouldn't interfere as much with Judo
    2) I have managed to convince my girlfriend to get to the gym and it is an opportunity I cannot pass :)

I will be keeping a training log to keep my ideas organised, any case if I see that cross-training is stalling my progression I will then favor Judo. I also hope that at least my Aikido ukemi will help me getting a (little) head start in Judo. I was fortunate enough to train in a Dojo which favoured Koshi Nage throws - this allowed me to train breakfalls with some energy in them.
    With that extra info, and if you really want to do some striking, I'd find a good boxing gym, or do the boxing with the gorilla place maybe. Like 2x per week,if you can take it after the judo training.

It's good your Aikido dojo did a lot of koshi nage, however, the contact in Judo is a lot harder than Aikido with more koshi nage. You probably understand that already, though.

That will also depend on the judo dojo...there are different splinter groups of judo in the UK that have a decidedly non-competitive approach to Judo.

Which judo dojo do you have in mind ?

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 1:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to be a little contrary here. While I do love judo. I would drop the Judo and go to the SBG that is a very good gym (or at least their other locations are).
    Going to a good gym is far more important than the particular art.
    I know your looking at Judo because of your Akido experince I get that but my advice really is to go down to the SBG do a couple introduction classes with your g/f in everything they offer go to the judo place with her and do a couple of classes then make up your mind.
    Note my wife and daughter both love grappling. Daughter prefers Judo wife prefers BJJ. So make sure your girlfriend tries grappling and striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 1:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    With that extra info, and if you really want to do some striking, I'd find a good boxing gym, or do the boxing with the gorilla place maybe. Like 2x per week,if you can take it after the judo training.

It's good your Aikido dojo did a lot of koshi nage, however, the contact in Judo is a lot harder than Aikido with more koshi nage. You probably understand that already, though.

That will also depend on the judo dojo...there are different splinter groups of judo in the UK that have a decidedly non-competitive approach to Judo.

Which judo dojo do you have in mind ?
    Fortunately I am comfortable with falling as I always enjoyed it and was often used by my sensei for demonstrating throws so I just hope my body will be of the same idea :D

I will be starting tomorrow here: http://urmstonjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 1:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I am going to be a little contrary here. While I do love judo. I would drop the Judo and go to the SBG that is a very good gym (or at least their other locations are).
    Going to a good gym is far more important than the particular art.
    I know your looking at Judo because of your Akido experince I get that but my advice really is to go down to the SBG do a couple introduction classes with your g/f in everything they offer go to the judo place with her and do a couple of classes then make up your mind.
    Note my wife and daughter both love grappling. Daughter prefers Judo wife prefers BJJ. So make sure your girlfriend tries grappling and striking.
    They offer 30 day free trial so we're definitely both getting there. As for Judo, unfortunately its not something that she enjoys, also hard falls are a no no for her (old wound).
    I will try both and see how it goes, there's a chance my body refuses to collaborate anyway and I will still have to choose. Not throwing myself into any contracts, its evaluation time so I can choose what I like best.

Government overthrows you!

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just for reference, this is unlikely to be one of the 'non-competitive' clubs as it's part of the BJA which is the Olympic judo association in the UK.

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 9:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fortunately I am comfortable with falling as I always enjoyed it and was often used by my sensei for demonstrating throws so I just hope my body will be of the same idea :D

LOL, I guess you will find out soon enough what I mean by more contact. If all you can think of is ukemi waza...

I looked at the link, looks like a decent program, but not a lot of detail. Keep us posted !
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast