Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 8:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing yet :(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MA and self-confidence

MAs have been marketed for years using 'self-confidence' as a hook and where I am right now in life, I could do with lots of it. But I wanted to ask if anyone had personally improved their's? If so, was the increase due to the MA globally or just a specific part of the training/competing? Or is it just hyperbole?

FYI: I'm asking as I'm getting the judo urge again and am trying to pluck up the courage to phone (no email or website, aargh!) but quite separately, a conversation with my therapist yesterday highlighted how low my self-confidence has become and how I appear to others as extremely shy and sometimes even slightly hostile as I try to avoid uncomfortable questions (I was astounded as this wasn't the 'me' in my head).

I'm officially seriously depressed but meds are (currently) allowing me to train in the gym, run and do Pilates and yoga as it doesn't require much brain power and its the closest thing to enjoyment I feel right now.

If it has improved your confidence, would this be due to something inherent in your MA or also found in other sports generally?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 12:18pm

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training has definitely improved my self confidence.

There is something about regularly fighting other people that makes other stuff seem a bit easier to deal with by comparison. It also forces you to interact with people in close proximity and if you're competing, you generally have to get reasonably friendly with your team-mates.

Its not a magical cure-all, I'm still a fairly stereotypical antisocial geek and, like you I HATE making phonecalls, but it does help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 1:28pm

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts training greatly improved my confidence and self-esteem. I think it's a combination of both the perception\reality of improvement at something, and the endorphins released in the process due to the physical nature of martial arts training. I'm not a doctor, or scientist, or any sort of authority on this, so this is just my opinion.

When you train, you feel like you are improving, and your brain is swimming in happy-juice at the time so your brain reinforces that feeling and makes you a bit addicted to it. Everybody likes to be good at something--it makes you feel better about yourself--and that carries over into the rest of your life. I believe that is why people who train ineffectively for self defense\fighting (and know it) still get the same boost in confidence as people who train effectively. It isn't the confidence of knowing you can stand up for yourself, so much as it is confidence in being good at something. I could certainly be wrong, but that's how I see it.

tl;dr - Training is good for you and your brain is on drugs.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently had an operation, and I am temporarily unable to do anything strenuous

while waiting on the street for my wife to collect me in the car I experianced an extreme sence of vulnerability as people who i considered potentially threatening passed me by

I felt like ' If that guy attacks me I'm completely defencless without doing serious harm to myself'

It was a horrible 10 minuits, and I am looking forward to my full recovery

I think MA's can be great for self confidence as long as the coach/sense knows how to teach people who suffer from low self confidence

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 2:03pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen many people experience an increase in self-confidence through practice of martial arts. Quite a few of our students are people who haven't had much success in more conventional sports. In our martial arts they can focus on getting good at something for themselves without worrying about comparing themselves to anyone else or letting some team down. If they apply themselves consistently, even the most untalented person can see clear improvement over time, and this is a real confidence builder in itself.

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 2:21pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP

You're doing Yoga, Pilates, Running, Gymwork and you're thinking of doing Judo. Personally, I think you're doing too much. If you suffering from Depression and taking, say, Paroxetine, as part of your Recovery, you might consider doing less but doing it well. You should also consider long walks as part of your therapy toward Recovery.

Do things slowly and with focus to build your Concentration as a Mindfulness exercise. The yoga and pilates can help you as part of your Recovery.

Remain in regular contact with your GP (Family Doctor, US-side) to help chart your progress, cos in truth I may be spouting rubbish but hopefully not.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 8/09/2013 2:22pm at . Reason: typos

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MA is a social endeavor—you get to make friends or at least friendly acquaintances. Friends are good for self-confidence. You also get to practice small talk/shop talk in a focused way, which is good generally for shy people.

MA is often structured as a series of goals. If you can succeed in some goals, you'll become more confident that other goals can also be reached, and obstacles surmounted.

MA is physical—people in MA may lose weight, can muscle tone, improve their balance and energy levels, have improved cardiovascular health, etc. People who are in better shape tend to be more self-confident as people around them treat them better.

MA involves fighting and dealing with the unexpected. When you've practiced confrontations before, you're less worried about the crazy person who starts yelling on the subway platform, or the kid with the evil glint in his eye walking on the same stretch of road you are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 7:50pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Rivington is spot on. You get to be around people with a similar interest and similar goals. A support network that makes you feel part of something.

For example a group of mates from training are getting together to watch a couple of fights tomorrow. It's like, personal validation and stuff.

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 8:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo & Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're physically inadequate, you need a gun or can of mace. No amount of martial arts training will save you if you are getting mugged by someone twice your size who has a .357 at your back.

As far as building up general confidence, yes martial arts does that, but that sensation of someone coming after you can be solved by peace of mind. I carry a Cobra 380 because there is someone out there who wants to rob a 6'2" 220lb karateka who looks like a skinhead. Someone.

Either way, if you physically can't defend yourself, martial arts won't matter.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    8/10/2013 2:50am

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha One Four View Post
    If you're physically inadequate, you need a gun or can of mace. No amount of martial arts training will save you if you are getting mugged by someone twice your size who has a .357 at your back.
    A gun down you trousers or a can of mace in your pocket won't hep either with a gun all ready in your back

Situational awareness FTW

80% of my friends I know through MA training
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast