Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Heavy bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Heavy bag

I'm thinking of getting a heavy bag to help strengthen my strikes. Of course, I'm no boxer, so I have no idea what brands are the best (without breaking the bank, of course). Also, what excercises would you recommend for use with the bag?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't hit it hard at first. Just about no one can punch properly the first time. I did and screwed up my wrists for a few weeks. Go slow and light first before going full power. It takes a LOT of patience and practice to get used to it. Also, make sure you train both hands. Start with jabs and straights before going for round strikes. I found round strikes much harder...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    use the search, theres been loads of stuff about heavy bags

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you could make your own for a lot cheaper and more durable than most brands---especially the two worst brands: (n)everlast and (won't last 1%of a)century. I made mine out of $12 of denim and about two days work off and on. I got sawdust from lowes for free.

as far as training is concerned, you absolutely need to wrap your wrists....besides who wants to be the dumbass who comes to work with rugburns, bruises and open sores on their hands?
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make your own? and out of Denim no less! Also wrapping your hands is optional and seperate from wearing bag gloves.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, i double lined it and double seamed it. So far, It has lasted me a little more than a year and is still going. the real trick is the eyelets; those were hard to keep in the denim without tearing...

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by triple
    Don't hit it hard at first. Just about no one can punch properly the first time. I did and screwed up my wrists for a few weeks. Go slow and light first before going full power. It takes a LOT of patience and practice to get used to it. Also, make sure you train both hands. Start with jabs and straights before going for round strikes. I found round strikes much harder...
    The same could be said about actually punching a person as well.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by jubei33
    you could make your own for a lot cheaper and more durable than most brands---especially the two worst brands: (n)everlast and (won't last 1%of a)century. I made mine out of $12 of denim and about two days work off and on. I got sawdust from lowes for free.

as far as training is concerned, you absolutely need to wrap your wrists....besides who wants to be the dumbass who comes to work with rugburns, bruises and open sores on their hands?
    My everlast has been hanging in my basement for about 17 years, its older than me.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they don't make them like they used too, apparently :)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got my everlast at Benny's. It's still intact, even w/a hole in it from a nail juting out from a dresser. has hard spots in it, which I take care of w/ a baseball bat.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last