Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Clueless

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a vegetarian and somebody who pays a lot of attention to the food the only thing that will make your body feel better is eating better - no fast, juice or miraculous "reset" can do the trick. There is no quick way, remember!
    Learn about proper nutrition (there is a shitload of info online on how to supply proper nutrients to the body and if you search deep enough you will find that most of the things you probably know about food are marketing myths), change your habits, ban some foods and you will see the results.
    The only way is to be constant and well informed. That and regular physical activity, everything else is bollocks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 9:41am

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The juicing thing works to some extent, as an addition to your regular diet, not as a replacement. For example, if you (general you) know nothing about nutrition and all you eat is high calorie processed food that's very high in calories but has almost no nutrients, then juicing will help you even if you are very overweight and change nothing else.

The body is very good at detoxing itself, that's true, but if you constantly keep putting in poison that's not enough to kill you and never give it the chance to repair itself, eventually the effects are not going to be pleasant. The body can detox itself from a can of coke easily enough, but if you drink 7 of them a day you should not be surprised to wind up with diabetes and or obesity. Aspartame (the crap they put in 'diet'/'sugar free' iced teas and sodas) will slowly kill off your brain cells and is linked to a host of health problems that's longer than I care to type. Sure you can drink one or two, but drink them every day and they'll catch up to you.

So, if your regular diet is not particularly healthy to begin with, adding the nutrients from blended veggies certainly is not going to hurt you. I wouldn't take anything out though from what you normally eat. Just add the vegetable juice. So what I am suggesting is not really a detox diet, just an addition of healthy nutrients to what you already eat. That way you won't feel deprived and with any luck, the healthy food will start to squeeze out the unhealthy food. The notion that you can eat whatever you want as long as you exercise and stay in good shape, I am afraid, is demonstrably false.

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 9:49am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat up to half a pound of bacon every morning for breakfast.

My BP is 115/75.

Just wanted to post that somewhere.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 11:15am

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fruit juice is full of sugar so only consuming juice and nothing else surely cant be good for you. I imagine the sugar and acid in the juice wouldn't do you're teeth any favours either.

Will you still continue to train while on the detox aswell? I assume youd be lacking in energy to put in a decent session. Ive never like the idea if any type of fasting but it seems to be the in thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 4:52pm

Style: Kempo Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    Will you still continue to train while on the detox aswell? I assume youd be lacking in energy to put in a decent session. Ive never like the idea if any type of fasting but it seems to be the in thing.
    I did have some protein substitutes in mind, spinach being one of them. Hopefully that will keep me out of the zombie effect that goes with it. I am definitely taking all the advice into consideration.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Galope View Post
    I did have some protein substitutes in mind, spinach being one of them. Hopefully that will keep me out of the zombie effect that goes with it. I am definitely taking all the advice into consideration.
    Spinach as a protein substitute? That sounds like a poor choice.

Clueless

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Galope View Post
    Spinach? first time hear of that! Get pulses and you get proteins, there's so many of them that you can hardly be bored. Tofu, comes in variety of flavours and is easily assimilable.

If you train, get some hemp protein supplement, tastes like **** but works well.

And if you're not vegan there's of course diary - the only thing is I would go certified organic unless you're into antibiotics and steroids in your milk (actually might be a supplement lol).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 6:58pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to stay away from the 'Detox' bull crap that was going through the thread; there are enough people here that have pointed out how much complete crap 'detox' is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7808348.stm

Your body is not in any way toxic. If it was you'd get something like Toxic Shock Syndrome and believe me; you would know about it -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_shock_syndrome

Yes; things like Aspartame have side effects. But applying insane reasons like 'it's toxic' to things like this is like saying a car moves forward because people are sitting in it. It's an assumption that makes no sense. Things like Aspartame are a chemical that enter the body and blood stream in similar fashion to any other and are in no way unique. If they made us 'toxic' than by the same method we could consider Asprin as making us 'toxic' and that simply isn't the case.

The thing here is the Juice Fast will work for you. But not for the reasons you are being told. There is a very simple reason for things like the Juice Fast working. You could actually replace the 'juice' with cream laden chocolate cake if you wanted; as long as you were eating LESS than your necessary daily intake of Calories / Kilojoules (depending on which measurement you prefer) you will loose weight at the same speed.

The reason you DO NOT do this with something like chocolate cake is because you are not getting your nutrients and vitamins. This is where the juice comes in. Fasting in itself has been proven as a natural human response to not having food available. As proof of this - this man didn't eat for 1 year and 17 days.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...24/3549931.htm

However this man was under medical supervision and was given the needed vitamins and nutrients for survival during this time; much similar to the juice diet.

The average intake for a person varies drastically from website to website and person to person and is extremely personal. You CAN NOT simply go to a website; get a mathematical calculation and do a predetermined wonder diet. There are many flaws to this sort of thinking.

Applying a temporary fix -
    The reason you got where you are is not just your choice of food; but your choice of exercise and day to day life maintenance. If you do not change your day to day maintenance; diet and / or exercise any benefits you see from these things will reverse. You can not simply 'loose the weight' then return to the same lifestyle as you will end up back where you started. Regardless of how you loose the weight.

The quick fix mentality -
    People always look for the fastest way to loose weight. And it works. But you're only achieving something you can not maintain. Slow weight loss is easier to manage and easier to learn how your body reacts. The method I mentioned earlier (fasting 1 or 2 times a week) works on a method of giving you an intake buffer. Due to your average intake being around 8000kj (guestimate) a day; by fasting twice a week you've given yourself a 16000kj buffer zone.

This means on the days you do eat; even if you eat slightly more than normal to compensate (most people don't; some do) you would have to consume DOUBLE the amount you normally would to simply catch up for the one missed day. I think most people find this insanely difficult. I know I do.

This also allows you to understand your weight loss (something Juice diet won't teach you) as you won't power off the Kilo's week by week; instead you'll progressively loose the weight in the same way you put it on. Over a period of time as your lifestyle changes.

Myths / Strange Conceptions / Weird Science -
    There are many; many things out there like 'natural' remedies and 'scientific' methods that are supposed to make you 'magically' loose the weight and cause your body to become super human. But the truth of the matter is the best thing to do is find what works for you. Your lifestyle is what is going to depict weather or not you'll gain the weight again and I highly recommend you don't go doing something you CAN NOT MAINTAIN as a life style choice. Herbal remedies, weird science, detox jargon, magic devices - none of it works any better than good old fashion 'don't eat too much and get a good healthy dose of exercise'.

Anyway there's many people out there and on here that will COMPLETELY disagree with me. And this is all based on experience and opinion. It is up to you entirely to believe what you read or not. There are many people here that will try and debunk all of the stuff I just posted in one way or another. But in my own experience I like to work with results and not chase down results and try to find reasons to beat them down.

Good luck in your adventure.

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 7:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You missed the best part, "toxins".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 9:07am

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignoscant View Post

Yes; things like Aspartame have side effects. But applying insane reasons like 'it's toxic' to things like this is like saying a car moves forward because people are sitting in it. It's an assumption that makes no sense. Things like Aspartame are a chemical that enter the body and blood stream in similar fashion to any other and are in no way unique. If they made us 'toxic' than by the same method we could consider Asprin as making us 'toxic' and that simply isn't the case.
    The same could be said for something like cocaine for instance.

If the side effects of a substance entering your blood stream are to the tune of killing your brain cells or making you obese, it may not be 'toxic' as you define it, but it certainly doesn't mean you should allow those chemicals in. It's a bit dangerous to say that if it enters the body in a similar fashion to everything else then you can eat it and the body will be fine. Would you eat a 15lbs bag of sugar? It's fat free :).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast