Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2013 2:38pm

Style: BJJ, Wing Chun Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ranking in Kali, Escrima or Arnis

Hello!

I am looking around my area (Seattle) for Kali training and Master Boiselle came up (Link - http://www.seattlearnisacademy.com/M...y/Welcome.html)

Reading through his BIO I found this:
    7th Degree Black Belt in Arnis
    as well as others.

I am ignorant of ranking systems in Eskrima, Kali. Most I have seen has been Beginner/Advanced.

I know Arnis is more than just Kali/Eskrima, but does it give rank in belts?

Thanks!
    Badacid

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/07/2013 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Nth degree black belt thing comes from other arts and was transplanted to some FMAs. Its not necessarily good or bad- eskrido lifted a bunch of stuff from judo and I think that was a good thing.

He's got 18 martial arts listed in his background which may be a red flag (but not necessarily), but only says they influenced him, so not sure what degree he studied each. He started martial arts in 1980 and started his TKD/FMA organization in 1986, which is a red flag to me (I don't think 6 years is long enough to start an organization of one art, let alone 2 or more). He teaches freestyle nunchaku, which is not my cup of tea but whatever. They spar padded sticks with WEKAF helemts and chest protectors, which I think is excessive padding but its not a bad start and I shouldn't begrudge for safe sparring.

The FMA I study doesn't use a belt system, but we have a unit system like a college, and its divided into 4 quarters (I'm testing for 3rd soon). 3rd and above is considered a Maestro. After completion of the 4th one can test for Guro.

Doce Pares uses a ranking system like Japanese arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2013 4:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the response. I'll keep looking to see if there is something else available.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 3:39am

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to his site he got his Arnis rank from someone named David Bird in the "Combat Arnis" system. Its quite possible that this system uses belts, some do, some don't.

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 8:36am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I give out belt ranks (starting with 1st black), although neither I nor my students actually wear them. And after that, progression is strictly time-based: as long as one is still training in the club, one is promoted, with the interval being the rank you're going to. In other words, if you're 1st black, it'll be two years more until you're 2nd black.

I'm now 6th black in the system as of this year, and have to wait until 2020 for 7th.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 8:43am

Style: Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    According to his site he got his Arnis rank from someone named David Bird in the "Combat Arnis" system. Its quite possible that this system uses belts, some do, some don't.

David Bird had some involvement with the tres espadas group

http://philgribbin.blogspot.ca/2013/...ern-arnis.html

who where involved in this train wreck of a thread

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115419

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 11:39am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about the neg rep perma,i tried to plus rep from my phone, I'll get you a plus rep it two to make up for it.

OP, check out Balintawak Seattle. I'm not sure how far you are from them but John soriano is a solid instructor that has produced some great eskrimadores. If you can't find them and are interested let me know and i can get you some contact info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you everyone!

@JSpeedy - Thanks for the information, it's pretty far (I'm up north) but if I can't find much else, I'll give it a look.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 7:48pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badacid View Post
    Hello!

I am looking around my area (Seattle) for Kali training and Master Boiselle came up (Link - http://www.seattlearnisacademy.com/M...y/Welcome.html)

Reading through his BIO I found this:
    7th Degree Black Belt in Arnis
    as well as others.

I am ignorant of ranking systems in Eskrima, Kali. Most I have seen has been Beginner/Advanced.

I know Arnis is more than just Kali/Eskrima, but does it give rank in belts?

Thanks!
    Badacid
    Jake Burroughs in Greenwood runs a Pekiti-Tirsia Kali study group. Given his BJJ background he may be a fairly good fit for you. Jake is also hosting Guro Meynard Ancheta there two weekends from now. Meynard is a very good instructor, I highly recommend it. It would also be a good spot to network for some training partners as well.

http://threeharmonies.blogspot.com/2....html?spref=fb

Speaking of Seattle Seminars, Tuhon Rommel Tortal (Pekiti-Tirsia Kali) will be in Federal Way this weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/181416692034077/

And to top things off Grand-Tuhon Leo Gaje will be at the same facility at the end of September.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/471207452962604/

All of the PTK groups in Seattle are at the study group stage, you don't have any advanced instructors at this point. Hope that helps.

Some other locations you might want to check out are a Lightning Scientific Arnis group in Ballard, the Seattle Escrima Club, and the Minnesota Kali Group in Greenwood.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2013 9:38am

Style: Bahad Zubu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would check out BALINTAWAK SEATTLE if you can. They are a Grandmaster Bobby Taboada school. You will be better off driving the extra miles. I have no affiliations out of your choices that one looks like the best, if the instructor is cool.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast