Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 5:55am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I got a M7 bayonet

Check out the M7 bayonet I recently got.

I love the sublime, sleek geometrism of the design. It goes very well with the elegant, understated triangle of the M16A1 hand guard. (I cannot believe no one manufactures those anymore! I have a set I got on Ebay that I used to use on my AR.)

I feel like American weapons from the late 60s and early 70s have such a sublime, sophisticated visual beauty to them. What a contrast to the rugged, overstated practicality of the Communists. (LOL at mousetrap-resembling AK 47 trigger assembly). That era truly had a special zeitgeist.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/19/2013 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, yesterday, I used the bayonet to cut some ferns for my jungle hiding experiment/exercise that is outlined in another thread. I cut a few ferns, and then put the knife away. A few hours later when I got back home, I saw that there was already a small amount of rust on the blade where it had made contact with the ferns. (The ferns must have rubbed off the oil.)

So I scraped off the rust with some steel wool and re-lubricated.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here who actually carried a M7 in a tropical jungle setting, i.e. a Vietnam veteran who might be able to advise me? What is the best way to minimize rust on the bayonet in the jungle if I'm using it like a utility knife? Just carry around a cloth and some oil and basically re lubricate it after each use?
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 9:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Military personnel clean weapons constantly. Usually way more than is necessary. Many times you'll see weapons with the finish worn almost completely off. These days they'll likely get a coat of spray paint or they'll just get cleaned again tomorrow.

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 6:22pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    M7 Bayonets are typically made out of carbon steel. Sometimes 1095 if you've got a modern reproduction or get lucky. Carbon steel rusts really quickly in a tropical environment. Depending on how much salinity is in the air, many types of stainless steel (as in stains less, not impervious to rust) rust quickly as well.

If you've got both those conditions, you're probably going to want to keep oil or an oily rag around. Or you can buy a knife made out of a fancy highly corrosion-resistant alloy that is designed to be used in salt water: H1, N680/90, etc.

As long as you're not going to be using the knife on things you plan to eat, you can also use spray paint or rustoleum periodically on the blade.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal