Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Looking for one
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Picking a style/school

Hello everyone, i'm new here and this is my first post so i'm not really sure if this is the right forum or template for my topic...... Anyway, as you can tell by my profile, I don't haven't joined a martial art yet.

I have taken karate before at this very fake "dojo" called, MAI (Martial Arts International). It was a big scam that had many hidden fees and such and it put my family into a situation that did not help me in my dream to learn an efficient style. I have been bullied many times at my school and I had no way to defend myself. In these situations I usually just tried to run but ended up being caught and beaten until the bell had rung.

My parents questioned me on how I had gotten bruises and scratches and I had told them that the sports at my school are very rough. They are very in-tune with there lineage of Chinese folk and I am too as I take great pride in my background.

I get moderate grades in school but my only problem is not being able to defend myself when necessary as my flight tactic does not work. My family doesn't move a lot and I know we aren't moving anytime soon. I live in Southern California (92886), and I was hoping that someone could do research to find a martial art school that is close enough to me and that is not a scam.

I would do the research myself, but I do not know how to find the difference between a scam or truth for martial art schools/styles. I'm sorry if this sort of thing has been posted before because I am new to this kind of stuff and I haven't searched around much. If there is anyone out there who can do some research and stuff to help me in my situation, then please do so as i'm not sure how much I can go through.

Note that my parents are migrants and moved here to America when they were teenagers. They moved here to make a better life for me and I do not want them to know that it is not working out for me. Please help for anyone who reads this and cares. I am truly sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum section. Bruce Lee just happens to be one of my idols and he showed me the message behind martial arts that it is more then self defence and discipline and that it is also a philosophy.
    I want to find a martial art style/school to train and learn in to find myself in this everlasting game called human life.

Thank you all that read this and again, i'm sorry if this causes any troubles.

-a desperate and new person in need of help

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well that was a quick admin approval, mod move to the right forum.

Related video to your post.

Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome, start by reading this:
    http://www.bullshido.org/Finding_a_g...al_arts_school

Make sure to also read any stickies, the rules vary quite a bit, depending on where you post.

How old are you?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, you got a lot of terrible schools in your area (or at least ones I can't recommend). How far you willing to travel?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    Looking for one
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm willing to travel within a 20 minute distance. I study a lot and play tennis too so my schedule is tight but can be adjusted. Also, thank you for welcoming me. I am currently 16 years old.
    Last edited by Eakyth; 8/18/2013 3:02pm at .

Style
    Looking for one
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Currently I am 16 years old but some say I look 17 or 18 for my height as an asian. People are very stereotypical around my area. My dad used to live in indonesia and studied in pencak silat for fending off the people that made fun of him and bullied him as a chinese. He is not a good teacher though even though he can still do the martial art.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Join the wrestling team.

Style
    Looking for one
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Join the wrestling team.
    Should I? I'm not very strong so I don't think i'll be good in it. I think that i'll get crushed soon. At my school, the wrestling team is full of people that have already had experience with wrestling. I've seen them before and they don't teach much if not anything. They just practice a lot.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll second the wrestling recommendation. BTW you're making excuses. Stop it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last