Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2013 5:01am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anti bully

My ex-professor Carlos Maia posted this on his wall. I wish I knew bjj in my primary school, but would be completely happy to know any proper judo, kosen judo, catch as catch can, pankration, (combat) sambo,... none the less. It would also suffice. Seeing Gracies larp about bjj being the only and ultimate art is slowly getting tiresome, but a great video none the less.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/17/2013 6:43am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found that it is difficult at best to teach someone to not be scared. Teaching situational awareness and skill-sets is hit-and-miss; it depends on natural athletic ability, attention span and dedication. The anti-bully is a good concept, but I think Master Ken should do a segment on it.

Posted On:
    8/17/2013 12:36pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience as an instructor was that it is virtually impossible to teach aggression. People either have that killer instinct, or do not. A lot of nerdy, wimpy types (such as I) have a tremendous amount of pent-up anger and frustration. Channeling that is easy. But when someone doesn't perceive a real threat, you are left attempting to make them feel unsafe in an environment where they are almost certain they aren't going to get hurt. It actually kind of pisses me off, and I have crossed the line on several occasions to make a point, which didn't even work. They just start blankly at you in wonder as to why you are being mean to them with the same look my dogs give me when, upon finding a puddle of piss on the floor, I proceed to angrily denounce them though they likely have no idea what they did.
    Last edited by crappler; 8/17/2013 12:40pm at .
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2013 1:08pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right Crappler and Slamdunc and I Identify myself in much you speak of. However I seem to be a really slow learner, but I surprised myself a couple of time against an average non-trained village idiot. Besides I'm two meters tall and have weight advantage over most people I train with so I just pick the black, brown and blue belts and get tossed about.

However bjj does not seem to be my sport although by my defensive nature I love grappling. I don't think fast enough, learn slow and all is very frustrating to me. Although I intend to train it whenever I'll have a chance it's fun how what I picked up helps me with judo.

Anyways I mostly left my fights in primary school and I hope I won't need it again.

Competing really helps with fear issue and I need that more.

Posted On:
    8/17/2013 6:43pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't think and grapple at the same time.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    8/18/2013 12:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    meh.... its a mental flow chart.

If they are not agressive don't give them as many choices. Then they have to just run through the numbers.T

That is all I do. Pretty much.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts