Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 10:36am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I don't see how bending over, taking your eyes of your opponant, and presenting the back of your head as a target is not inferior to to bending at the knees with your guard up
    I'm talking about bending ALSO from your waist. You always keep an eye at least on the upper torso, and you dont present the back of your head. This is much quicker and easier to do than a vertical knee bending (your head will still be too high unless you seriously buckle). If coupled with punches, you get the added power of leaning into your punch while closing the distance for a counter.

There is also a reason behind not just leaning back or blocking the punches. For a fluent effective fight, if you can make him miss you by a centim' it means he is in range, your hands are available for a punch from either one, and..he is a little off balance..if you also ducked to his side (the outer side closer to the back) you gained an angle/possition where you have a millisec to punch freely with no real fear of a counter...(btw im talking boxing here, not MMA or what have you..)
    i can attest that you can bob and weave nicely in MT too, as long as the purpose of it as i already said is to gain position and a counter, if you do it just to evade a punch you will get KO with a knee eventually..and that sucks and gives you a big fat lip.
    Last edited by erezb; 8/11/2013 10:44am at .

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 11:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I don't see how bending over, taking your eyes of your opponant, and presenting the back of your head as a target is not inferior to to bending at the knees with your guard up
    It is and it isnt. If punches are chasing after your head you movie it out of the way. Now the movement just becomes more and more pronounced untill you do waist bending.

So it will get you out of the situation at the time.

I still believe that if any of the better guys do this style of dodge and weave (we call it the slippery gypsy). They will waist bend because they need the extra range of motion.

You are trading a bit of form for a bit of extra escape.

I bend at the knees with my guard up and fing this is the best way to fight the slippery gypsies.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 5:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can anyone post several video examples of the "slippery gypsy" actually being countered with knees, the way people are always shaking their heads about like in this thread? I'm not saying it can't happen or that using the lower body isn't better, but it seems kind of unlikely to punch at a guy, see that he's bobbing away from your punch, track his moving head, and accurately hit it with your knee before it gets back up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 6:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy actually is skilled,good work from him,he also have more videos.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Wrestling, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I thought at the beginning of this video it was edited.
    Very cool, awesome show of athleticism and footwork, I have seen little bastards in the gym run around and away, but that was sweet. Looking forward to the 'slippery gypsy' films.

I want to move like that dude, getting hit in the head hurts really bad, painful and it sucks balls...

Posted On:
    8/12/2013 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Can anyone post several video examples of the "slippery gypsy" actually being countered with knees, the way people are always shaking their heads about like in this thread? I'm not saying it can't happen or that using the lower body isn't better, but it seems kind of unlikely to punch at a guy, see that he's bobbing away from your punch, track his moving head, and accurately hit it with your knee before it gets back up.
    I have done it in sparring our official slippery gypsy of a coach but it is one shot in an exchange of shots. Like eating knees shooting in. It does happen. But..........
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 12:05am

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not following the knee thing either.

I don't feel a knee would have been very effective vs this. Unless of course it was some kind of combination attack, perhaps a front kick or a high kick is debatable but I would imagine if he was aware of the distances he might even be able to slip that.

Being said; this statement is as much speculation as a 'knee' being effective vs slipping and is just as unfounded.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 12:06am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ali, damn, I often wonder what he would have done without those missing years.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 12:45am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recall bobbing away from a jab and eating a front leg roundhouse to the face, which I was actually throwing my head right into. Then I was looking at the ceiling and my training partners had formed a circle around me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2013 1:27am

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I recall bobbing away from a jab and eating a front leg roundhouse to the face, which I was actually throwing my head right into. Then I was looking at the ceiling and my training partners had formed a circle around me.
    I did that too! I was ducking a hook and the guy was throwing a front kick and I slammed my face into his knee.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast