Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 3:36pm

Style: Leaving Bullshido =P

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Dude, if you like hapkido and you want to keep training it, no one here is going to try to stop you, least of all me. But when you say things like "With enough dedication, you will learn to defend yourself," you are making a claim that is not just a statement of your opinion. That is an assertion of fact, one which can be disputed until you either provide evidence or explain how you are an expert whose word should be considered authoritative.
    True. Over the last few lessons at my new school I am pretty content with staying. My new instructor really knows what he is doing, and if I ever had to use self defense I would prefer to end it in a lock, not turn it into two grown men rolling around on the floor or having to use "muscle" vs "muscle". I started this thread back before I really trained in the school so now I guess I am just looking for training tips and what I should cross train with later on. That being said, I can now see where Hapkido is lacking, and I thank you all for this. I now realize that sooner or later I will have to add more "aliveness" to my training to become a better MA. However, now is not the time as I am in a transition and have just enough time to train in HKD.

It is Fake: Any style of MA can be used to defend yourself, even styles such as Tai Chi. And my teacher is darn good. He is under the instruction of Grand Master Kwang Sik Myung, the president of WHF, and visits Korea regularly. You can believe that this is not just another Mcdojo.
    Last edited by drewtoby; 8/11/2013 3:47pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 3:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drewtoby View Post

It is Fake: Any style of MA can be used to defend yourself, even non-combat styles such as Tai Chi.
    Yes and people who don't train AT ALL defend themselves. That doesn't negate my point, nor does it strengthen your claim. I didn't address self defense, I addressed your curriculum logical fallacy.

Please, educate yourself on Martial Arts more, so you don't say ignorant things like:
    even non-combat styles such as Tai Chi.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 3:55pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh nice edit:

It is Fake: Any style of MA can be used to defend yourself, even styles such as Tai Chi. And my teacher is darn good. He is under the instruction of Grand Master Kwang Sik Myung, the president of WHF, and visits Korea regularly. You can believe that this is not just another Mcdojo.
    No, I will not believe ****. Prove it.

Shaolin-Do:
    Sin Kwan The' constantly traveles to China, gives demonstrations at the Shaolin Temple, had a PBS TV show in the 70s, speaks 4 languages, travels all over the country teaching seminars and I was an Instructor Under his tutelage.

Shaolin-Do is still a McDojo. What you typed means nothing without proof, nor do I need to believe your words. It is a weak appeal to authority and without proof it means absolutely nothing,.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 3:56pm

Style: Leaving Bullshido =P

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe I shall take my thoughts else-ware...

here is your proof: http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/ar...hp/t-8051.html

If you wish to hate on "soft" martial arts, do so with out me. I respected your points, but you did not respect mine. BTW your aliveness: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/aliveness.html
    Last edited by drewtoby; 8/11/2013 4:10pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 4:04pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck!
    Make sure you don't make further ignorant statements, about one art, while trying to up your own art.

Let me add your original post that you just edited for the third time.
    -True. Over the last few lessons at my new school I am pretty content with staying. My new instructor really knows what he is doing, and if I ever had to use self defense I would prefer to end it in a lock, not turn it into two grown men rolling around on the floor or having to use "muscle" vs "muscle". I started this thread back when I was unsure of the school so now I guess I am just looking for training tips and what I should cross train with.

It is Fake: Any style of MA can be used to defend yourself, even non-combat styles such as Tai Chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

If you wish to hate on "soft" martial arts, do so with out me. I respected your points, but you did not respect mine. BTW your aliveness: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/aliveness.html
    I was starting to write a long reply as due to having freshly abandoned Aikido I was exactly in your place little time ago but then I realised - there's no worse blind than the one that refuses to see.
    Have fun with whatever you do but please, do not get into any fights. Really.

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 7:05pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

So your reference is a website called "no nonesense self defense"? Seems Legit. Ignoring it's constant link-referencing of Urban Dictionary, let's have a quick looksy anyways, just in case:

This is the fundamental flaw of most 'aliveness' training. They are jumping in dealing with active resistance before they've ingrained the neural pathways. So instead of starting with 1+2+3 and then teaching you how to apply them against an active opponent (which is actually the next step) they START your training with 1+A+B+2.5+C+D.
    Right, firstly because aliveness only means full on sparring and you can never drill something with varying degrees of resistance. I also like how suddenly it is compliant drilling that removes bad technique rather than resistant training where it won't work if you add all the other bullshit in. but let's not bring facts into a story, eh?!

just for clarity, the following is supposedly still in relation to aliveness
    That's what you're going to ingrain. These are bad habits that rob you of power. The reason that people believe they work is that a lot of the extra stuff they put in is strength and blind aggression.(3)

Which works fine as long as you carefully select to only fight people smaller, weaker and less aggressive than you. If you only pick fights with 4th graders, you'll win every fight. Unfortunately, if you meet someone bigger, stronger, more aggressive and try to fight like that, he's going to hand you your head. Oh yeah, and it also fails miserably against people for whom violence isn't a macho monkey dance. But they'll just shoot you in the face.
    HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Wow, Did you actually read this or was it the only site you could find that tried to mount an argument against aliveness to bolster your delusions point? Yep, Constantly training against larger stronger opponents actually trying to hurt you won't prepare you to deal with larger stronger opponents actually trying to hurt you. OH NOES! only compliant drilling against people providing less resistance than a 4th grader would will prepare you to fight larger stronger opponents!!!!

Dumbass.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 7:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you really believe a nearly decade old thread is proof of your assertions? No, it really is not.

If you wish to hate on "soft" martial arts, do so with out me.
    The only one that has shown ignorance and "hate" for soft arts is you. Go back and read that terribly misinformed comment you made about Tai Chi.

I respected your points,
    No, you really didn't. You attributed comments to me I didn't say. Then you misunderstood what I said, went on a rant about Self Defense and bragged about your teacher's teacher.

but you did not respect mine.
    Let me tell you a secret, no one has to respect another person's opinion. You didn't respect the one I made, I didn't respect your appeal to authority or your strawman.

It isn't my aliveness.

Remember this?

Permalost: You gain the muscle memory of using your opponents force against them self. Lets just say I had a drop throw come in real handy once in my life. I did it with out thinking too.
    That is a simple question that doesn't have a simple answer. In fact by asking about muscle memory you're heading in the wrong direction to ever get an accurate answer.

Let's start with this, there is no such thing as muscle memory. Muscles do not have brain cells -- ergo, no memory.

Go train, enjoy what you do and quit trying to defend your art on the internet. All you are going to do is hear honesty and keep getting your feelings hurt.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well this thread got painful real fast. give him a few more years and he will hopefully turn around, the seed of doubt is there now

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/11/2013 9:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    well this thread got painful real fast. give him a few more years and he will hopefully turn around, the seed of doubt is there now
    I don't think you understand the mindset of the the obtuse and willfully ignorant. The seed of doubt does not exist and nothing is learned because the ideas which are contradictory to their present line of thought are dismissed without critical analysis or even a second glance.

They ( the willfully ignorant ) look at the situation and instantly begin the mental gymnastics to ignore the contrary data. Mr drewtoby here is a perfect example of this when you look at his responses, either that or he is a complete idiot who is completely working off faith and is unable to consider his position is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast