223544 Bullies, 3727 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 50
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Vorpal is offline
    Vorpal's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Hell of my own making
    Posts
    3,078

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 10:45am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is well covered ground. If a Hapkido school focuses on Aikido type, wrist twisty throws and TKD kicks (most of them), avoid it. If a Hapkido school focuses on Judo style throws and takedowns and live sparring ( they are out there, but few and far between) have at it.
  2. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,518

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 12:04pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!




  3. Rivington is offline
    Rivington's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,733

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 1:04pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

    The Hapkido guy didn't do too badly in this one. There's a part two as well:

  4. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,518

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 1:40pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    The Hapkido guy didn't do too badly in this one. There's a part two as well:

    He did, but a "combat hapkidoist" might notice the absence of step-under armlocks and spin kicks.
  5. Dr_Awesome is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, Texas, United States
    Posts
    100

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 3:15pm


     Style: Hapkido

    6
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've studied hapkido, and I love it. I've also studied a bunch of other styles, and I can tell you that one thing hapkido does a really great job of is giving you lots of tools. Hapkido has great pain and joint controls, great kicks, a variety of hand strikes, throws, and falls.

    BUT...

    The best handyman is not necessarily the guy with the most tools (and it doesn't matter if he's read the instruction booklet for each tool a hundred times). He's the guy who knows how to use those tools to get the job done, and in martial arts, that job is stopping an opponent who actively wants your techniques to fail.

    The problem with a style that covers so much ground is that it becomes very easy to use all of those tools poorly, because there are only so many hours in a day, and only so many techniques that can be in the front of your mind in a given moment.

    Because of this, the success (or utter failure) of a hapkido school comes down to how you train, and what you focus on. I picked my school for a lot of reasons, but two things really stuck out to me:

    1) focus on sparring and what you can actually practice
    2) focus on falling

    The second one might not make sense to everyone at first, but coming from a judo background, I really liked that despite all the techniques that needed to be learned, we still spent 10 minutes per class practicing falling.

    And depending on what kind of idiot you are, you may be more likely to save your own life with falling drills than punches or kicks. Personally, I'm not the kind of idiot who picks fights with other dudes, but I am the kind of idiot who runs in his socks in an airport terminal because he doesn't have time to put his shoes back on after going through security and ends up wiping out in a grand display that makes onlookers believe they may have just watched a man die.
  6. Dr_Awesome is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, Texas, United States
    Posts
    100

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 3:19pm


     Style: Hapkido

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've studied hapkido, and I love it. I've also studied a bunch of other styles, and I can tell you that one thing hapkido does a really great job of is giving you lots of tools. Hapkido has great pain and joint controls, great kicks, a variety of hand strikes, throws, and falls.

    BUT...

    The best handyman is not necessarily the guy with the most tools (and it doesn't matter if he's read the instruction booklet for each tool a hundred times). He's the guy who knows how to use those tools to get the job done, and in martial arts, that job is stopping an opponent who actively wants your techniques to fail.

    The problem with a style that covers so much ground is that it becomes very easy to use all of those tools poorly, because there are only so many hours in a day, and only so many techniques that can be in the front of your mind in a given moment.

    Because of this, the success (or utter failure) of a hapkido school comes down to how you train, and what you focus on. I picked my school for a lot of reasons, but two things really stuck out to me:

    1) focus on sparring and what you can actually practice
    2) focus on falling

    The second one might not make sense to everyone at first, but coming from a judo background, I really liked that despite all the techniques that needed to be learned, we still spent 10 minutes per class practicing falling.

    And depending on what kind of idiot you are, you may be more likely to save your own life with falling drills than punches or kicks. Personally, I'm not the kind of idiot who picks fights with other dudes, but I am the kind of idiot who runs in his socks in an airport terminal because he doesn't have time to put his shoes back on after going through security and ends up wiping out in a grand display that makes onlookers believe they may have just watched a man die.
  7. Psycho Dad is offline
    Psycho Dad's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,259

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 7:11pm


     Style: BJJ/Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drewtoby View Post
    I know no martial art or artist is perfect, and you can always be defeated no matter what.
    No one is perfect. You'll rarely find an art that's totally flawless. However, training in Non-Bullshit martial arts will reduce your chances of being defeated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

    B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.
  8. drewtoby is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Middle off da USA!
    Posts
    14

    Posted On:
    8/10/2013 9:38pm


     Style: Leaving Bullshido =P

    -3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Awesome View Post
    I've studied hapkido, and I love it. I've also studied a bunch of other styles, and I can tell you that one thing hapkido does a really great job of is giving you lots of tools. Hapkido has great pain and joint controls, great kicks, a variety of hand strikes, throws, and falls.

    The problem with a style that covers so much ground is that it becomes very easy to use all of those tools poorly, because there are only so many hours in a day, and only so many techniques that can be in the front of your mind in a given moment.

    Because of this, the success (or utter failure) of a hapkido school comes down to how you train, and what you focus on.
    This is true, and I realize that. And everyone else needs to stop calling Hapkido a BS art, as it does have a good curriculum. If you train and put forth the effort you will become a good martial artist and know how to defend yourself. Even some of you here have admitted to this. However, something I have begun to notice in my new dojo is that what you put in is what you get out. It's not Hankido where showing up and actively participating in its repetition is enough to become effective. With enough dedication, you will learn to defend yourself. But, you NEED the dedication and have enough repetition to develop muscle memory. I will not cross-train at the moment as I need to dedicate to this style. Once I become comfortable with Hapkido I will cross-train, either BJJ, Gongkwon Yusul (if this is any good), or where ever else you guys point me.
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,915

    Posted On:
    8/11/2013 1:26pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drewtoby View Post
    This is true, and I realize that. And everyone else needs to stop calling Hapkido a BS art, as it does have a good curriculum.
    According to who you? Shaolin-Do has a good curriculum and I'd NEVER recommend that art, save a few instructors, to anyone.

    Until the crap Hapkido schools become rare nope.

    Because of this, the success (or utter failure) of a hapkido school comes down to how you train, and what you focus on.
    I'm almost certain you misread this statement as well.
  10. OwlMatt is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    890

    Posted On:
    8/11/2013 1:50pm


     Style: aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drewtoby View Post
    This is true, and I realize that. And everyone else needs to stop calling Hapkido a BS art, as it does have a good curriculum. If you train and put forth the effort you will become a good martial artist and know how to defend yourself. Even some of you here have admitted to this. However, something I have begun to notice in my new dojo is that what you put in is what you get out. It's not Hankido where showing up and actively participating in its repetition is enough to become effective. With enough dedication, you will learn to defend yourself. But, you NEED the dedication and have enough repetition to develop muscle memory. I will not cross-train at the moment as I need to dedicate to this style. Once I become comfortable with Hapkido I will cross-train, either BJJ, Gongkwon Yusul (if this is any good), or where ever else you guys point me.
    Dude, if you like hapkido and you want to keep training it, no one here is going to try to stop you, least of all me. But when you say things like "With enough dedication, you will learn to defend yourself," you are making a claim that is not just a statement of your opinion. That is an assertion of fact, one which can be disputed until you either provide evidence or explain how you are an expert whose word should be considered authoritative.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.