Posted On:
    8/05/2013 5:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello, From South Africa

Hello everydody.
    I'm new here <- obviously, but not new to martial arts. Haven't done any training in 5 years (carreer's getting the best of me) and I feel that I have to do something to get back into shape.

I have been fascinated by martial arts for basically my whole life and my parents enrolled me in Goju-Kai classes when I was about 7. I had to quit when I was 13, because we moved to a small town and there wasn't any dojo's nearby. The years passed by and by the time I got to university, I still wanted todo martial arts/karate. I started doing Goju-ryu and enjoyed that very much, that was untill I started running out of time for training. Sadly, I had to give it up only a year after starting.

Now, 5 years later, I am ready for this! My studies have been done for a couple of years and I spent some time kickstarting my carreer (working like a machine mostly), now I find myself with some free time in the evenings. I instantly knew that i'm going back to some kind of dojo.

I've wanted to do full contact eversince my "travels" started and I narrowed it down to either Muaya-Thai or Kyokushin. I spent a while researching both and decided to go with Kyokushij.

My classes start tonight!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 5:41am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome!

I'm a South African myself, got into Goju Ryu and Aikido when I was at Rhodes.

Which Goju organisation were you under?

Kyokushin should be an interesting adjustment for you, but there's some good hard training there.

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 5:47am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dojo was part of IOGKF, I trained under Bakkies Laubcher back then. You will propably know him from the Goju Ryu circles.

I am very excited to start Kyokushin. It seems like it could be a lot of fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 10:27am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido and best of luck with your class let us know how it goes
    Last edited by Nickosaurus; 8/05/2013 10:47am at .

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 1:17am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I went to my first Kyokushin class yesterday evening. I enjoyed it a lot, the shihan had me do basics. First thing i noticed was that you can lose a lot of technique in 5 years! I still remember the basics, but little "errors" crept in there along the line. The second thing is I remembered what it felt like to almost have a heart attack! Man, I'm unfit and all my muscles as stiff as boards. (I should have done stretching exercises more often). I'm in a fair amount of pain today (especially my knuckles, doing push ups on your knuckles is no joke), but it's all good.

I'm going back on Wednesday.

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 2:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdannnlzkliy View Post
    A Practical Overview Of Quick Tactics In Louis Vuitton Garden State Plaza - An Internally Analysis
    WTF IS THIS?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 3:09am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
    WTF IS THIS?
    Rogue spambot, they get through sometimes. Just report the post and ignore it.

Posted On:
    8/07/2013 2:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just came back from my second class. This time I was thrown into the deep end. I stood alone in a class with 11 black belts and we did pad (those sponge pads you hold) work

My knuckles are actually raw, 4 of them are actually missing their skin! And the black belt I got paired up with didn't hold back! My insides are sore from holding that pad!

These guys are hardcore!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2013 11:42pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad to see you picked Kyokushin!

Sounds like you have a good gym - very lucky to have so many black belts to work with.

Just remember; if it seems like they are being a bit brutal with you that its for your own development - if its a good dojo then these guys are going to take you places you didn't think you could go...and then one or two steps further. I cannot begin to describe the spiritual and physical journey that my own training has taken me on, but I can say how grateful I am for the experience. Good luck.

A black belt is only a white belt who never gave up!

OSU!

Posted On:
    8/09/2013 4:12am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by silvers_ghost View Post
    Glad to see you picked Kyokushin!

Sounds like you have a good gym - very lucky to have so many black belts to work with.

Just remember; if it seems like they are being a bit brutal with you that its for your own development - if its a good dojo then these guys are going to take you places you didn't think you could go...and then one or two steps further. I cannot begin to describe the spiritual and physical journey that my own training has taken me on, but I can say how grateful I am for the experience. Good luck.

A black belt is only a white belt who never gave up!

OSU!
    OSU!

It's hard to think these guys were on my level once. But with perseverance i'll get there too.

The dojo is run by the African president od Kyokushin-kan. to which organization does your dojo belong?
    I'm not to certain what the difference is between the different orginizarions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast