Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 9:29am

Style: Leaving Bullshido =P

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why do people see Hapkido as Ineffective/Unrealistic?

With the wide skill base of Hapkido how could you not be effective? You learn strikes, kicks, throws, blocks, basic ground work, weapons, break falling (I used this several times in real life), and especially grabbing. Your opponent may be better in one area, say kicking, but you are better in the other areas. Plus, if you have the speed you can trap kicks and use take downs.

Also, people say it is not effective against a fully resisting opponent. Isn't that why we learn strikes? Induce a second of pain and their resistance will lower for that second, long enough to flow into a finishing move.

Finally, you don't need to learn the thousands of moves. Just make a few become second nature and mindless. You can apply many of the moves in more than one strike, grab, ect. This is where you become dangerous to grab, strike, ect.

I know no martial art or artist is perfect, and you can always be defeated no matter what. But, I see hapkido as a good skill set to add to your arsenal. If you disagree, please state your reason. I want to see if my logic is flawed as many people don't speak kindly of hapkido on here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 9:57am

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drewtoby View Post
    Also, people say it is not effective against a fully resisting opponent. Isn't that why we learn strikes? Induce a second of pain and their resistance will lower for that second, long enough to flow into a finishing move.
    The way you become effective against fully resisting opponents is by practicing against fully resisting opponents. Adding stylized strikes to my stylized aikido locks and throws wouldn't suddenly make me an effective fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 10:43am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a "Traditional" form of Ju-Jitsu which taught all of those things you mentioned all of that in two and a half hours a week. I was a Jack of all trades and not even good in anything.

After nearly three years I knew in theory about striking and throwing but they I began to cross train in a style with resisting opponents (Judo) I found that while a knew how to do an arm-lock I didn't have any way of getting in the right position while they were resisting. It never worked out like the drills I had done, for example getting the hip in the right place for a throw is easy when the uke stands still but when they move its a totally different skill.

Why not try a martial art with resistance and see for yourself? you will know what I mean after two hours

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What has hapkido done to prove itself effective and realistic? Pro hapkido maybe?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 11:00am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know two very hard Hapkido guys, both of them have kicked my ass in sparring a number of times.

They spar and cross-train though.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 11:25am

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    They spar and cross-train though.
    Every time a non-alive style has a tough practitioner, this proviso always seems to follow the assertion...
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 12:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! All good points, and I can see that I should look into cross training sometime in the future. I was looking into BJJ, but was unimpressed with the ground work emphasis. I would not want to do that in a real fight.

OwlMatt: If you pull off a good hit to the groin or solar-plexus though, wouldn't your response instantly be to bend in pain, or at lease lessen your tension from the pain/shock of impact? Just my thought, but I see your point.

Nickosaurus: My first hapkido dojo was more combat oriented. We only had a few hundred moves at most and applied them to all different types of grabs, punches, ect. Now that I am in the World Hapkido Federation I can see that you have to work on mastering moves mostly in your own time (mental review does wonders). I try to keep the outlook of the combat oriented dojo: pick and choose what works for you. Only difference is there are a lot more moves I have to learn.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 12:55pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OwlMatt: If you pull off a good hit to the groin or solar-plexus though, wouldn't your response instantly be to bend in pain, or at lease lessen your tension from the pain/shock of impact? Just my thought, but I see your point.
    Of course, pulling off something like that could be very effective. But you're unlikely to pull it off in a real fight unless you have practiced it against realistic resistance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 1:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But, what do you recommend cross training with?

Permalost: You gain the muscle memory of using your opponents force against them self. Lets just say I had a drop throw come in real handy once in my life. I did it with out thinking too.

OwlMatt: You are right. I guess that is where my combat oriented school did a good job. We had to throw a good kick/punch before we went into a move. We repeated that drill endlessly. We also worked with escapes against full resistance, as well as some moves. That clears up a lot of my confusion =)
    Last edited by drewtoby; 8/05/2013 1:05pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! All good points, and I can see that I should look into cross training sometime in the future. I was looking into BJJ, but was unimpressed with the ground work emphasis. I would not want to do that in a real fight.
    The way to avoid being taken down is to learn to grapple. The way to develop getting-up skills when someone does manage to take you down is to learn to grapple.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast