Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2013 9:45pm

Style: Leaving Bullshido =P

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Changing Hapkido Schools Need Advice: Stick it out or Switch to another Art?

I am changing from a school that is similar to "combat hapkido". At this school we practiced only a few hundred moves at most, but emphasized perfecting our moves. All of the students there (myself included) took a few moves and made them become second nature to ourselves. We repeated a lot of the same stuff every class, and also added "light contact" sparring to the mix.

But, I quit. And lets just say I refuse to let several years of training go down the drain from a teacher that does not follow his own tenets.

However, the new school is completely opposite: a member of a well-known Hapkido Federation. After a month I have not seen a move repeated yet. The curriculum includes some useful moves, but also some moves I would not attempt in real life. We have more board breaks, forms, striking, and weapons. Due to the switch I would go back a couple belts too if I choose to stay. But, the instructor is helpful and works with me. Oh, and he is actually nice =)

Or, should I take up a different martial art instead? If so, what? I am a tall runner with long legs, so TKD might be good. Oh, and there is a Kung Fu school literally in my own back yard, although the art looks impractical in real life. I want to stick with traditional martial arts that I could apply my current knowledge too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2013 9:56pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you looking for out of your training? Is the club you're at providing you with what you want? If it is, then there's no reason to switch. If not, then what, specifically, is it not providing for you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 1:33pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I always thought the instructor and the school were way more important than the style. Now, of course, a good style is more likely to have a good instructor, but every style has bad teachers. I would make a list of at least 3 schools and visit them and watch a class or before you decide.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 2:26pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not a moderator so probably above my pay grade but why have you started another thread about switching style

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121505

To answer this latest thread - The name of the art is not so important it is the method of training. The judgement criteria to look for - Is this martial art trained with aliveness or is it in a dead patten, watch this video and you will understand the criteria

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    I am not a moderator so probably above my pay grade but why have you started another thread about switching style

To answer this latest thread - The name of the art is not so important it is the method of training. The judgement criteria to look for - Is this martial art trained with aliveness or is it in a dead patten, watch this video and you will understand the criteria

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

Consider checking out a judo dojo. Most places offer a week for free and the cost is usually less than most schools, no matter what the style.

I walked away from Hapkido a couple of decades ago. While I still have good memories of the time and people, looking back, the training methodology was lacking. TKD is no different. Most 'karate' is the same.

Seriously, consider judo or another art that trains in an 'alive' manner.

Good luck.

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 6:59pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out Filipino martial arts. I find them to be a happy medium for those who want a traditional training approach and practicality. If course FMA has its share bs and varies greatly due to the fact that there are hundreds of systems out there. OP where do you live? Perhaps some of us could recommend a place to train.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/06/2013 8:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    biggest factor- list your goals.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2013 2:29pm

Style: Leaving Bullshido =P

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post

Good catch. I am at the point in training where I need to decide if I will stick it out with Hapkido with the intent to cross train later on or move on to a more "alive" martial art. Oh, and I now know the term for my last school... Hankido. I would recommend a quick google search for the wiki page of Hankido for those that don't know what it is. As for the transfer, I have found the right school, just need to decide if I will stick with it or not.

As for what I want is to become better at self defense.

Clueless

Posted On:
    8/10/2013 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drewtoby View Post
    Good catch. I am at the point in training where I need to decide if I will stick it out with Hapkido with the intent to cross train later on or move on to a more "alive" martial art. Oh, and I now know the term for my last school... Hankido. I would recommend a quick google search for the wiki page of Hankido for those that don't know what it is. As for the transfer, I have found the right school, just need to decide if I will stick with it or not.

This stuff mate?

Totally reminds me of Aikido. Nice to watch, useless. You do realise that a semi-skilled swordsman would hack him to pieces before he could ever get close? The rest looks all alike, telegraphed and over commited attacks, uke following like zombies. Looks the same as for most of the Japanese TMA. Probably nice gymnastics, good for elasticity, that's all.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/10/2013 7:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drewtoby View Post
    then why in other posts have you said you only want to study what you deem to be traditional martial arts? (i.e. stuff where you wear pyjamas and pay for meaningless belts)

you need to be honest here. if you want to learn how to throw down, go do judo and boxing or something. theres nothing wrong with being an asiaphile, but at least admit it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast