222420 Bullies, 4557 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 10:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kneebar Junkies Get in Here

Maybe this is old hat for some of the experienced grapplers here. I don't know. I'm certainly no ace grappler, but I do pay attention and I don't think I've ever seen this particular kneebar technique before.

It's a sneaky looking kneebar from half guard and it's evidently this guy's trademark. Maybe I'm just easy to impress but it blew me away.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 11:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can do it from the top, also:

I've heard it called a Chimbar:

Or a Dogbar:
    http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12...hread-1576225/

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post

Maybe this is old hat for some of the experienced grapplers here. I don't know. I'm certainly no ace grappler, but I do pay attention and I don't think I've ever seen this particular kneebar technique before.

It's a sneaky looking kneebar from half guard and it's evidently this guy's trademark. Maybe I'm just easy to impress but it blew me away.
    Ronnie is a beast.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 5:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know that it's old hat, but I was taught that kneebar in 2009. I have a friend that's really good at it, so I try to avoid having my leg straight in the half guard position whether I'm on top or bottom these days. He's equally dangerous with it from both.

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 5:52pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, possible stupid question here: Why would it be harder to pull this off in either top or bottom than the other?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2013 6:40am

Style: BJJ Beginner

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just saw Gokor doing this from top and was going to give it a try next training.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/04/2013 9:40am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Ok, possible stupid question here: Why would it be harder to pull this off in either top or bottom than the other?
    Let's put our thinking caps on for a moment, shall we?

Do you think it's easier to move around with someone on top of you, or when you're on top?

I will say that it might be a bit easier to finish from on bottom due to the fact that you are able use the mat as counter leverage when lifting your hips up off the ground in order to bend their knee the wrong way.

In summary, it's probably easier to get into the proper position from on top while it might be easier to finish the move from the bottom. Having long legs really help the most in my opinion.

I have stumpy legs and find that, when on top, I can easily get too low to maintain proper control of their upper body because I have to lower myself on their leg to effectively cross my ankles behind their ankle.

Posted On:
    8/04/2013 10:05am

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your response, jnp.

Let me first say, that my question came from a likely misinterpretation of PSB's note that "You can do it from the top, also". I took this to mean PSB felt other's may not realise this can be done from the top or that it would be more difficult to finish, for whatever reason.

Obviously, weight and pressure were the first things that came to mind as I was swirling ideas around in my thinknoggin'. However, after watching the first video PSB posted and this one:

it appeared to me the only time weight may pose a problem from bottom is if you haven't reached HG yet, or your opponent is a lot heavier than you.

What are you doing with your upper body when you try to finish from top? I haven't seen any instructionals that cover top, and it appears all the guy in PSB's video is doing is applying pressure on his opponent's hips with his shoulder.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2013 7:21pm

Style: Judo-Brown

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronnie has been told by people that they think it is his stocky build that allows him to finish the attack. When on bottom he is getting completely under you. His forehead to your hips in deep half. The longer the torso/legs the more that has to fit under your opponent.

Ronnie and I got our black belts together last June. He is indeed a monster. He catches really, really good people with his knee-bar game (his resume, which includes being the number one ranked brown belt in his weight/age class and already beating the 1 ranked black belt in his weight/age, speaks for itself). I say game because it is more than just the knee bar. In fact he has a DVD on his half-guard/knee-bar game (which i highly endorse).

Besides being incredible at luring you into a false sense of security by "only pulling half-guard" and finishing the knee-bar insanely fast, he is great at turning it into a sweep whenever people try to run away from the pressure. If he lands in top half-guard he can finish or pass. I know that when he starts on top in full guard he will often pass to side, get point the points, then allow the guy on bottom to shrimp and put him in half-guard. There he catches them off guard with a knee-bar.

SouthPaw, how do you know Ronnie?
    Last edited by RandomTriangle; 8/04/2013 7:29pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2013 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post
    SouthPaw, how do you know Ronnie?
    I train with Billy and Jason (Royce Black Belts at Forged Fitness) in Raleigh, and have been getting destroyed by Ronnie for many years (he used to train with us, and still comes down often).

Congrats on your recent Black Belt RandomTriangle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast