Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 5:00pm

Style: kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Groin Strikes in Kajukembo

Hello. I was just wondering. There is a school in my city I am interested in. My question is if you could estimate what percentage of Kajukenbo moves and combos have groin strikes, what would it be. The reason I am asking is because one day I was in Job Corps years ago, and 2 guys got in a fight in front of everyone. No one was going to jump in, but then one guy kicked the other guy in the groin, then everyone jumped the guy that kicked someone in the groin. Ever since that day if someone was goiong to try to fight me I'd be scared to kick someone in the groin, for fear of that happening to me. MAybe Im just paranoid, but I'm a little hesitant to train in an art with too many groin strikes. Someone let me know something,

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 5:10pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You worry too much.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 5:25pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't really base your fears about fighting on one fight you saw one time. You've got to collect a broad sampling of data to determine anything. One might imagine that a thrown ashtray is the king of all weapons if they base their opinion on one fight where it worked. Kajukempo has a broad sampling of martial arts though, so it takes quite a few approaches.

People usually jump into a fight because their friend is getting their ass kicked or because a stranger is really really getting his ass kicked. You know what a lot of bystanders will do when a fighter gets kicked in the groin? They laugh. America's Funniest Home Videos have trained us well.

Lots of martial arts recognize that we live in a world where a kick to the groin is an effective strike, but just because you study an art that does them doesn't mean that you automatically are going to be a groin kicking machine. It means you'll be aware of the possibility, which is good because plenty of guys get the idea to attack the groin in a fight and you're better off knowing how to defend it. Its a possibility a self-defense minded person should be aware of, not avoid.

Having said all that, the kaju I've seen definitely has strikes to the groin.
    Last edited by Permalost; 3/07/2014 5:28pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2014 5:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok thanks. Im weighing between choosin 2 different martial arts. But I still wouild like to know what percentage of the moves are groin shots, just to keep it on mental file. Or an estimate from anyone who is a practitioner. I think Ill just go with kajukenbo anyway, but Id still like to know.

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 12:23am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhiggins38112 View Post
    I still wouild like to know what percentage of the moves are groin shots, just to keep it on mental file.
    You're asking a percentage for something that can't be expressed in that way.

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 1:00am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will all ways be your choice whether or not to kick somone in the nuts or not. Regardless of your training.

That is actually the secret of the sport fighting method.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe your right, but the reason I asked is because from what Ive seen on youtube, most of the moves seemed to be combinations, rather then single punches and kicks. And like they say, you fight how you train.

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Stick, Knife, Empty Hands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to the groin strikes, I personally think you worry too much. When you talking about actual "fighting", there's no "cheap shot" 'cause there's no rule. Every single part of the body is a target (some are more effective than others). If it's a school you are already interested in, just go check it out (personally go check it out and touch hands with the teacher). Better yet, ask the teacher of that school the same question and see how he/she answers you. I'm sure it'd be a good conversation piece ;)

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhiggins38112 View Post
    Maybe your right, but the reason I asked is because from what Ive seen on youtube, most of the moves seemed to be combinations, rather then single punches and kicks. And like they say, you fight how you train.
    Well, most systems teach those combinations of things to teach principles of flow and available targets and anatomy and structure, so that you can use bits and pieces of it as you see fit, not as definite sequences of moves that you'll do in that exact order. Real opponents will immediately start struggling when you start throwing strikes at them or trying to control them, so you'll already have to adjust to an opponent who doesn't stand there and let you finish your 5 Swords technique or whatever.

Having said that, many self defense styles will tend to include things more repugnant than a kick to the groin, because damaging people is sometimes the only way to shut them down. So-called soft styles will teach you how to break elbows and throw someone to the ground (which, outside of mats, can cause all sorts of injury including paralysis and death). How to stab and cut someone, and how to take the fight out of someone by damaging leg structures. How to shoot someone. Hell, even punching someone in the jaw runs the risk of them falling and cracking their head on the ground. So, if you can't conceive of striking someone in the groin, you may not be ready to deliver the level of force necessary to stop real violence.
    Last edited by Permalost; 3/10/2014 6:20pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2014 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not against groin strikes, I just saw someone get jumped for kicking their opponent in the groin years back....so eh. Gotta be careful when and where to use it if you know what I mean. I'm all for defending yourself by all means necessary when your life and saftey is on the line though.