Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/10/2013 1:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    They should not have 'MUAY THAI" across the heading if they aren't muay thai. simple as that.
    I agree with dwkfym. If they Say they teach Muay and MMA for that matter they should be instructors in those arts. If they teach Cardio-Kickboxing they should be calling it Cardio Kickboxing NOT Muay Thai.

This place IMO is the definition of a McDojo. The instructor teaches Karate but advertises MMA and Muay Thai when he is not a Muay Thai instructor, wrestling or Jiu-Jitsu instructor. Simply Karate but is misleading his members and the public by advertising Muay Thai and MMA to get their money. You can't be selling Hondas but advertise you are a Mercedes dealer.

Posted On:
    9/05/2013 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sorry to bring this up again but this needs to be Investigated Bogus Muay Thai/ MMA

I posted a thread about this place: Superkix in Welland Ontario a month ago but I have discovered more about this place. I just stumbled over an ad on Groupon for this club and it is complete BS. I still can't post links but someone please google "Groupon Superkix" and post the original ad. Here it is copy and pasted:

"At Superkix Martial Arts, professional trainers instill a passion for fitness and martial arts in students of all ages and fitness levels. Adults can take charge of their health and well-being with the centre’s extensive programs in mixed martial arts and muay thai. They also can learn the stances, kata, and sparring techniques of hapkido self-defense in the Superkix Adult program. Children as young as 3 can enroll in Lil Dragons or Superkix for Kids courses, where they develop discipline to accomplish their goals, respect and self-esteem to succeed at school, and board-breaking techniques to tackle wood-chopping chores with ease."

This is the line that irks me: "professional trainers instill a passion for fitness and martial arts in students of all ages and fitness levels. Adults can take charge of their health and well-being with the centre’s extensive programs in mixed martial arts and muay thai." This guy is not a Muay Thai instructor. The vibe I get is that it is a Karate School with a Karate instructor who is misleading people with the popularity of Muay Thai and MMA. Yes MMA could mean 2 separate martial arts but it doesn't anymore as it is a legitimate sport. You can't say you play basketball when you use a laundry basket and a tennis ball.

Denis Demers is the Instructor and he does not have a Muay Thai background nor does he have any MMA. Heck he may not even be a Karate instructor given how he is misleading people saying he does Muay Thai when he doesn't. But if he is then say you do Karate not Muay Thai to mislead people.

I did my original post based on his elusiveness when I asked his credentials in emails ... the conversation is below:

---------
    My first email

Hello Superkix

I have just moved to Welland and am looking for an MMA club to train at. Looked at another club in town and it was good but a bit too pricey. What are you prices? I have been training for 3 years and really enjoy training especially Muay Thai. Been training in Muay Thai and a little BJJ (off and on).

Who is the Kru I would be training under in Muay Thai and do you offer and BJJ if so what is the affiliation as I have 2 stripes on my white belt. I just can't find the instructors link on your page.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely

Mike Wilson

His Reply

Hey Mike thanks for your interest in our programs. When you get a chance give me a call at 905-980-0789 to arrange a time to come take a tour , thanks Denis

My Reply

Hello Denis

Thank you for your reply and I look forward to seeing your club. Before I come in I would really like to know the Kru I would be training under in Muay Thai as well as if you offer BJJ. Your Web Site says your club teaches Muay Thai and MMA but there is no further information. I would really like to know the qualification of the instructors of these arts prior to my coming in. I am fine with you telling me prices when we meet.

Thank you

Mike Wilson

His Reply

If you want to train to be in the ring check out modern vision at the mall, they may be able to help. good luck with your search. denis

_End Of Conversation______________________________________ _____
    ---------------------------

I did end up joining the club he recommended and that club was actually the first one I looked at and it is worth the price and I am having a lot of fun; however, I have no intention of competing as I just love to train ... but train in the art that the club says I am doing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2013 3:23pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you made a thread about this place a month ago, why are you starting a new thread?

Also, am I misreading your post or does the guy actually recommend that you go to another club when he discovers you are looking for something he can't provide?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/05/2013 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick to one thread on the topic. This one will probably be merged into the old one.

If you have new information to add, you can just update the old thread. If your goal is to bump the thread with no new information, you might as well not bother- prospective students will find this information by searching his name, not browsing the most recent posts on Bullshido. If you're stuck thinking "Someone should do something! How come nobody's taking this flag and running with it?", consider that you are such a somebody. If you want a more thorough investigation, dig a little deeper and let us know what you find.

Posted On:
    9/05/2013 6:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apologies for making a new thread here guys I am new to this forum ... I just got really mad when I saw that ad. And yes the information I provided in this thread is new. But it won't happen again.

Posted On:
    9/05/2013 6:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry fellas for making a new thread on this I am new on this forum. Didn't intend to break any rules. Just got pretty mad when I stumbled over that ad as like most of you on this forum I am very proud of the arts I train in. The information I put on this thread is new as I posted the email conversation and the ad he posted on groupon. But apologies nonetheless it won't happen again.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 6:21pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as GroupOn, you can't really blame a dojo for the **** GroupOn puts on their ads. GroupOn writes those, and tends to write really shitty ones (as part of the marketing of GroupOn). They've gotten better than they used to be, but the first time my school ran something with them it included things about punching holes in mailboxes and being attacked by lightpoles or some ****. And it came complete with pictures of kids in karate gis.

We don't have kids classes and don't wear gis.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12