Posted On:
    8/01/2013 2:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Competing in ibjjf

Hello Bullshido,

I am a relatively new grappler who wants to get his feet wet with a competition, so I signed up for the IBJJF Chicago Open since I will be in that area on that weekend. However, I am worried about two things:

1. Do I have to get a membership with IBJJF to compete? I remember seeing some message after I registered for the Open about getting some registration card and if I don't have it they will bar me from competing. I wasn't sure what they meant so I searched around on their site and on the internet but I can't get a concrete answer, so I was hoping a bullshidoka with some experience dealing with IBJJF registration processes could assist me with details.

2. I have an issue with getting "active" right at the start of a roll. My gym rolls 30+ minute rounds and I usually find myself getting swept and passed early on against my peers. While I eventually get in the swing of things, it usually takes me 10 minutes before I can really start using my game. Since I am a white belt, I can't take that long. My instructor told me he will get me adapted to a five minute round, but do you guys have any tips to offer when it comes to starting off strong?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2013 7:34pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's my understanding that you need to have an IBJJF registration number to compete at IBJJF tournaments now. They used to only enforce it at black belt level, but decided to push it down through all the ranks. It's a controversial move given that many legitimate BJJ lineages are outside of the IBJJF umbrella due to politics and who grouped in with what organization. I've also heard many bad things about what you have to give up as a school owner if you want to come into the IBJJF, but again, that's just hearsay and by no means up to Bullshido reporting standards.

I'm sure someone here with more insight could comment on that. It would probably be a good separate thread actually.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/01/2013 10:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god. To answer your question yes, but it's not regulated well at the white belt level. On the other hand, **** the IBJJF.

Posted On:
    8/01/2013 10:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AHotDonut View Post
    2. I have an issue with getting "active" right at the start of a roll. My gym rolls 30+ minute rounds and I usually find myself getting swept and passed early on against my peers. While I eventually get in the swing of things, it usually takes me 10 minutes before I can really start using my game. Since I am a white belt, I can't take that long. My instructor told me he will get me adapted to a five minute round, but do you guys have any tips to offer when it comes to starting off strong?
    Only tip I can give you is to practice using the time limit you have.
    If 5 mins is the round length get use to doing HIT with the high intensity length of 5 mins.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 5:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AHotDonut View Post

I have a similar problem and what I have found helpful is resetting when any points have been scored when sparring. This really focuses me on A) competition rules and B) being ready to go right from the beginning.

Posted On:
    8/02/2013 5:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thank you all for the help. IBJJF recently updated its site, so I was able to get more details on the membership issue. It only applies to Brown, Black, and Juvenile competitors, so I am confident that nothing will go wrong. If they do bar me from competing, well I learned a lesson and get to watch some matches live. However, if anyone finds a statement on the site implying that all competitors, including white belts, require IBJJF membership, please share.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    8/22/2013 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as getting yourself in the game quicker, when you start your rolls I would immediately attack aggressively with subs. This will force action, scrambles, and get past any feeling out phase. With the longer rolls in your gym I could see you guys playing loose to start, flow rolling etc.
    Slap hands and grab a li b and start cranking. Might suck at first, but you have to put yourself in positions where you force action.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 7:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did you do in the competitio0n?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2013 10:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're gonna need to be affiliated with an IBJJF school, even at white, to enter. They will respect your white belt though without too much trouble.

As far as getting active early, you need to change your understanding of jiujitsu. Think of it as a submission shoot out. How many times can you submit this guy in fifteen minutes, or a half hour, or whatever the round time is. Try to drop the sub time to like 30 seconds a round, and you'll have no trouble winning tournament rounds.