Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you really want to be contributing to 1-year-blackbelt dojangs? If so, just save some time and money and buy a black belt from the World Head of Sokeship Council or whatever. Consider that if its on your college application, they may ask you about the value and work that went into it (so be ready to lie in either case).

Of course, you could spend your time doing something worthwhile that you'd enjoy and would look just as good on an application.

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 6:07pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We should start giving out black belts in Bullshido to people with over 20,000 varrots.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 6:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Any school for which a TKD black belt is a deciding factor on your application should be avoided at all costs.
    Heh, I was going to say this as well, but then I thought: "Must be an American thing. Better stay out of it."

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 6:14pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP: you could do better by participating in investigations on fraudulent martial arts schools. Consumer Protection/Grass-Roots Fraud Busting would look much better on a resume to a bunch of people in tweed jackets than rank in a system of anti-social, abhorrent violence.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Consumer Protection/Grass-Roots Fraud Busting would look much better on a resume to a bunch of people in tweed jackets than rank in a system of anti-social, abhorrent violence.
    Not necessarily true. My streetfighting record helped me get into Lancaster Bible College.

Last edited by Holy Moment; 7/31/2013 6:36pm at .

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 6:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One year? Thats a lot of time invested for something you don't even believe in.

Dude, if it's a McDojo endorsement you seek, I'll award you a black belt in FISTADO for $25, a pinup of a chick sitting on the hood of a muscle car and a fat bag of weed.

Throw in a bottle of grape flavored MD 20/20 and I'll even award you a dan rank.

Get back at me, yo!

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 6:49pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    One year? Thats a lot of time invested for something you don't even believe in.

Dude, if it's a McDojo endorsement you seek, I'll award you a black belt in FISTADO for $25, a pinup of a chick sitting on the hood of a muscle car and a fat bag of weed.

Throw in a bottle of grape flavored MD 20/20 and I'll even award you a dan rank.

Get back at me, yo!
    Only the finest of bumwines for this connoisseur.
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 7/31/2013 7:29pm at .

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 8:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go volunteer in a soup kitchen, asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 8:45pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    That or the forms are so friggin easy to learn comparitive to 30 to 60 movement forms I learned in kung-fu.
    If the TKD teacher will let me, I'll try to match that.

... as if. I'll aim for 6 months, how about that?

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Your SAT scores are going to be far more important than a tdk black belt. Also you can take community college courses starting your HS jr. Year its a good way to spend a summer and a great way to show a college that you can manage a college level course.
    I'm already in the 2.2k range for SAT. I've been doing college level courses and have been volunteering. I'm currently doing a paid business internship and am studying at an academy with private tutoring to try and hit a 2.3k SAT score.

The only problem is, in my Asian school district, literally everyone else does this as well, if not more, along with a 4.0 gpa. And at my school, about 15% of the kids hit 2.3+k on the SAT. (There's a stigma here that a 2.1k is a fail.)

Talking to my college advisers (3 of them), the only way to get into a good school atm is to stand out from the rest. What I've done so far will probably only net me a University of California level school... which is lower (and much larger) than I'd like.

With that said, they told that with Wrestling and one other form of "dedication" to martial sports could possibly carry me to a higher-leveled school. They also specifically mentioned a black belt.

Because the important thing isn't Wrestling at all. It's the fact that I spent 4 months to get it implemented and walk afterschool daily to another school to practice. That shows "dedication", "thinking outside the box", and makes me "stand out" which is apparently what colleges want.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Just go volunteer in a soup kitchen, asshole.
    If only, If only, the woodpecker cries...

Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Will you be starting a dance team?
    Hell, if I could successfully pull that off, it'd boost me up quite a bit.
    Last edited by Cuddles; 7/31/2013 8:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2013 8:54pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    OP: you could do better by participating in investigations on fraudulent martial arts schools. Consumer Protection/Grass-Roots Fraud Busting would look much better on a resume to a bunch of people in tweed jackets than rank in a system of anti-social, abhorrent violence.
    How would I go about that in any legit certifiable way? I'd much rather do that. But..

1. I don't know how I'd do it.
    2. I don't know if I'd be able to put it on the app.
    3. I don't know what impact, if any, would occur because of it.
    4. I don't know how I'd be able to back it up on my college app.
    5. I don't know if I can finish it in a year? I'm becoming a junior.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast